Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of us are aware, Cannondale has been working on the production of a carbon/aluminum road frame. This was first seen via Simoni's TdF bike. As a Cannondale enthusiast I've been curious about finding out more. Another reason I'm interested in following this new venture is because, over a year ago, I chose to do a grad school project on the company. I strongly felt they should be looking into the feasibilty of creating a carbon road frame and thus named my project "The Cannondale Carbon Fiber Feasibility Program".

Then I had read this post on the C'dale Forum, by "JonnyHu":

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=471

Unfortunately, the link provided wasn't valid (or maybe it isn't valid any longer but once was?), which is even more interesting to me. At any rate, my shop visit today not only confirmed this new name, but also revealed more (the shop owner said he heard the following from the C'dale rep):

- The bike will be called the "six13" because carbon is element #6 of the Periodic Table of Elements and aluminum is element #13.

- frame weight is lighter than CAAD7

- carbon TT, DT, and ST but remainder of frame is aluminum, as in pic

- It will be available with three component level options:

- Campy Record for approx. $5700
- Shimano DA-10 for approx. $4300
- and...no, not Chorus or Ultegra...but Campy Centaur for approx. $3000

I asked why they skipped over Chorus & Ultegra and the shop owner explained C'dale wanted to offer an affordable model and because Ultegra9 is on it's way out (to be replaced by Ultegra10). He also said the rep would be coming to visit the shop next month to reveal more details.

I'm looking forward to hearing & learning more!

·
Administrator
12,975 Posts
This means that high end C-dales based on the current frame will be a good deal soon.

FYI- we weighed a stock R3000 (size 54, no pedals) at 15 pounds. It was seriously light. If they start discounting those (along with the team replica and R5000) those will be great race bike deals.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coolhand said:
This means that high end C-dales based on the current frame will be a good deal soon.

FYI- we weighed a stock R3000 (size 54, no pedals) at 15 pounds. It was seriously light. If they start discounting those (along with the team replica and R5000) those will be great race bike deals.
Yup, I hear ya'. I guess we'll see...

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not exactly sure, but...

lampshade said:
Sorry, no message
I'd imagine the Record model also has other high zoot parts, like stem, bar, seatpost, saddle, etc. Unfortunately, this is just what I heard and the C'dale rep has yet to make his shop visit next month.

·
Administrator
12,975 Posts
jtferraro said:
I'd imagine the Record model also has other high zoot parts, like stem, bar, seatpost, saddle, etc. Unfortunately, this is just what I heard and the C'dale rep has yet to make his shop visit next month.
I imagine it will be the new team replica- which will be the Saeco bike debuted at the Giro. Probably similar to the current Team replica, which means a full Campy Record group, the spiffy C-dale oversized crank/bb combo (lighter then the new D/A combo!), Cinelli Ram carbon bar/stem, Use Alien Carbon post, teams issue carbon railed Alliante saddle and the Mavic SSC version of the K's with the Campy free hub.

I will be real curious to see if the frame is actually lighter then the current CAAD7, as when carbon is added to most frames they gain weight due to the interface areas on the frame.

Like I said, if they start dealing on those CAAD7 Team Replica's I may grab one, for the parts alone. Only the Ram bar scares me a bit.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Coolhand said:
I imagine it will be the new team replica- which will be the Saeco bike debuted at the Giro. Probably similar to the current Team replica, which means a full Campy Record group, the spiffy C-dale oversized crank/bb combo (lighter then the new D/A combo!), Cinelli Ram carbon bar/stem, Use Alien Carbon post, teams issue carbon railed Alliante saddle and the Mavic SSC version of the K's with the Campy free hub.

I will be real curious to see if the frame is actually lighter then the current CAAD7, as when carbon is added to most frames they gain weight due to the interface areas on the frame.

Like I said, if they start dealing on those CAAD7 Team Replica's I may grab one, for the parts alone. Only the Ram bar scares me a bit.
Sounds about right, except it sounds like the team will be using the FSA K-Wing rather than Cinelli Ram?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2004/tech/news/feb11/cdale_six13_05

I agree about the frame weight re: the new interfaces...hmm...good point.

Yeah, it would be great if dealers started selling CAAD7 Team Replica's for considerable discounts, but I don't think you should get your hopes too high. I guess we'll see...

·
Administrator
12,975 Posts
divve said:
The new frame set is I believe around 100g lighter than a comparable size CAAD7.
I am curious to see if the claimed weights hold, because when you look at the photo's there is a good deal of CF/Al lug overlap (which allows them to do the 12 sizes). Commonly that would lead to the bike frame being heavier, not lighter, although it may have a nicer ride. However, maybe C-Dale found other places to save weight. We will see in 2 months I guess.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice finds...

Thanks for the links (no, I hadn't seen those yet)! I'm in class now, but looking forward to reading that article later.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts