Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK-
today while working-i heard this on a local radio program(WXRV)....
The on-air DJ who was hosting was talking about the Lance /Cheryl split between playing music.Enough already!
This guy stated that the reason of it-(the split)was that she did not enjoy the spotlight of America`s favorite ego maniac.Ok I`m good with that-but he also said that she was upset that he was going back tio racing.HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD THIS?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zyzbot said:
Old news. Where ya been?

i`m fully aware of the split-

my query was about the racing part.

the DJ dude said"he was preparing to race his bike again"

is this more radio chatter,or real?

·
Registered
896 Posts
just quit the tour

I've been under the impression that he just quite The Tour. lot of symantics going on but I expect to see him in the Tour of Italy or something

QUOTE=zooog]Never heard the back to racing part.........[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
He retired...

bauerb said:
I've been under the impression that he just quite The Tour. lot of symantics going on but I expect to see him in the Tour of Italy or something

QUOTE=zooog]Never heard the back to racing part.........
[/QUOTE]

The man did not just quit le Tour de France. He quit racing. He retired. Said that le Tour of 2005 was going to be his last race ever. Wanted to spend more time with the kids, and so on and so forth.

I hope that he stays retired. He went out on top, might as well stay there. I equate it to the Jordan retirement, come back out of retirement, then back in. He stopped when he was on top, and then came back a few times, and by the end of it all, he was still decent, but you could tell he'd lost quite a few steps from his prime.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Semantics is my business . . .

Retired from teaching English at the U. G/F is an atty. Words and contracts are what we do.

What I heard, what I read from Lance was that he was done with "professional cycling" -- as a racer.

He left the door open to manage teams, promote, coach, etc.

Also left the door open to "horse around" in MTB competition, but not in any serious sense. I'd view this option as mostly like "recreational/exhibition" appearances. You know, like when Arnold Palmer gets out on the links to raise money for something, or just because he likes to golf.

But, speaking of retirement . . . When your whole life and who you are has centered around something and you no longer do it, you flounder around in an existential funk about who you are.

I can see Lance doing this, a lot.

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
I wouldn't put it past anybody to come back out of retirement (as long as they are still physically competitive). Just look at sports in general and you'll always see somebody trying to give it another shot (Jordan, Magic Johnson, Deion Sanders, etc). If it happens...It happens. If not, oh well. I'll latch on to some other American Idol...J/K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice to hear all the opinions-

i suppose i can understand the "walking away on top part"...
i respect the guy for sure-best bike racer alot of us have ever seen.

i am 47 yrs old and cannot get enough of the bike......i`d enjoy seeing this guy still racing.....
me at 34?i was an animal...!i`m sure he still has "it"

the jordan reference to comebacks seems tainted by his 3rd return at 40ish-he was not the same guy-but he was still better than most guys running the floor.

when he 1st came back to the bulls after baseball-he won more championships

not to start another rumor,but was on the MT WASHINGTON HILLCLIMB forum and theres a thread there about ~L giving the race a go.......
suppose its just more winter hot stove cycling.....

best to all-

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Well

capdog said:
nice to hear all the opinions-

i suppose i can understand the "walking away on top part"...
i respect the guy for sure-best bike racer alot of us have ever seen.

i am 47 yrs old and cannot get enough of the bike......i`d enjoy seeing this guy still racing.....
me at 34?i was an animal...!i`m sure he still has "it"

the jordan reference to comebacks seems tainted by his 3rd return at 40ish-he was not the same guy-but he was still better than most guys running the floor.

when he 1st came back to the bulls after baseball-he won more championships

not to start another rumor,but was on the MT WASHINGTON HILLCLIMB forum and theres a thread there about ~L giving the race a go.......
suppose its just more winter hot stove cycling.....

best to all-
He started off in tri's, I would not be surprised to see him in an Ironman soon, possibly even Kona eventually...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,878 Posts
yeah....

I mentioned it to a friend...he told me Lenno was joking..."apparently Cheryl found a guy with a car...."

·
Registered
399 Posts
I don't care what he does as long as he stays out of bike racing.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Girlfreind's an attorney? Bad choice!

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Now You've Done It!

Blue Sugar said:
I don't care what he does as long as he stays out of bike racing.
Don't dare say an unkind word about Lance. The fan boys are going to come down on you like a ton o' bricks now... :rolleyes:

In case you couldn't tell, that was sarcasm, just wanted to make sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts