Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any feedback on these?

Have a chance at a deal and wondering what experience is out there.

Thanks

Len

·
Registered
151 Posts
I asked the same question a few months ago and didn't get much feedback. Check the HED Jet line. Similar design, but lighter I think. And HED puts their aero data out there which I never saw on the bullets.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I bought a pair of Bullet 50 (not Ultra) on sale a few weeks ago, but I'm still on training wheels (salt, grit, etc still on our late winter roads here).

As I've posted in another thread here, the weight as advertised is always for the lightest version. Bullet 50s are stated at 1755g, Bullet 50 Ultras at 1590g, but that would be for the Bullet 50 USB, and Bulet 50 Ultra with CULT, respectively. My standard (steel bearing) Bullet 50s weigh in at 1795g.

When you look at the weight difference across the range of Bullet wheels, the difference between Standard and Ultra is 165 grams (for both 50mm and 80mm wheels), also with a greater difference for the rear wheels than the front wheels. There is a slight weight increase from brass-nickel rather than alloy nipples, but the biggest difference is in the steel versus aluminium axle. The axle material will not make any difference to the rotational weight of the wheel. Of course, it's also a lot less likely to break (I've busted a couple of Mavic alloy axles in my day).

I also note that the steel spokes have a slightly narrower aero section than those on my 2012 Zondas. Presumably that's the same across all versions of the Bullet.

Don't plan on riding these extensively for a few weeks, but I'll share my impressions when I do.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi JMac, I posted a review after riding 150k on them back in April, under this site's Clincher Wheels review listing. My experience with these Bullets has been very good although I ride a lower-profile wheel more of the time. My other reference for riding deep-profile wheels is mainly the heavier aluminium Mavic Cosmic Pro (38mm) which I used for many years. Having put a few hundred k's on the Bullet 50, I've adjusted to their handling characteristics with wind, and the slight deviations from most side winds are easily managed. For sure, these wheels are faster than my Zondas under most circumstances. Predictable braking on the winding (and often busy) downhill roads back into town from my rides is another consideration.

On another note, when Campy came out with aluminium-rimmed Bora wheels in 1996, those were also slightly heavier than the basic Bullet 50. So while these are far from the lightest carbon clinchers, they are a big improvement on what was available 10-15 years ago, and look built to last at least that long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.