Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gents,

I cannot seem to break through beyond riding 45-50 miles on a solo ride. It appears as though I have reached a training plateau of sorts. I started cycling in June, with a goal of being able to ride a century by the end of the summer. I'd even be ok with riding a metric century by the end of the summer. But september is looming...

Any advice would be appreciated. I have more of a sprinter's build I guess (without sounding pretentious or like I can actually sprint well) and i've always been better at sprinting. I actually enjoy sprinting/interval training more than distance/endurance riding, but its something I would like to improve.

Any advice? HELP!
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,608 Posts
Do this:

1) pick a good route that will allow you to go about 25-30 miles toward / against the prevailing wind.
2) ride that
3) turn around
4) ride home.

Be sure to bring plenty of water, and a banana or 2.
 

·
Still On Steel
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
I think we're going to need more info. What's preventing you from cracking the 50 mile wall? Are you just dead, zapped, nothing left in the tank? If so, go easier, and/or make sure you're eating and drinking properly. Do you have aches and pains that force you off the bike? If so, you may have fit issues.

And etc. Tell us more about the exact nature of the problem, please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
What are you eating/drinking before and during your ride? A lot of being able to go long distances is knowing how to pace yourself and conserve energy for the harder parts of the ride, and taking in the right amount of calories. Of course, a lot of being able to go more than 45-50 miles on a solo ride is just ponying up and doing it.

Increasing distance by smaller increments works too. Start by adding an extra mile. Then another, then another. Eventually you'll be at 55 miles wondering what the problem was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
Allez Rouge said:
I think we're going to need more info. What's preventing you from cracking the 50 mile wall? Are you just dead, zapped, nothing left in the tank? If so, go easier, and/or make sure you're eating and drinking properly. Do you have aches and pains that force you off the bike? If so, you may have fit issues.

And etc. Tell us more about the exact nature of the problem, please.
Exactly.

It's probably your pace. You could pull guys of park benches in the moring and they could most likely ride 50 miles at their own pace and by the same token an elite cyclist could burn themself out before 50 with the wrong pace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool thanks in advance for all the help guys.

Currently, i'm drinking water when its cooler/not as humid during the late afternoons and evenings on weekday rides, then on longer rides during the weekend i'll mix gatorade and water 50/50.

I usually nibble at a clif bar. I used to choke down a whole one somewhere in the middle of the ride, but they expand so much in your stomach that it kind of hurts a bit, so now i'll just nibble on one...Maybe a bite or 2 every 8-10 miles.

Some days in the heat, I just get zapped at around 40-45 miles. Other times, its been a combination of my hands going numb, ass hurting, neck beginning to get sore. Ordinarily, in 75 degree weather I could probably just sack up and finish my mileage goal with numb hands/butt/sore neck, but when it's in the 90's with 80% humidity the car, and cold water sstart sounding really good after 45 miles or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterday I averaged 17-18 mph in the first 25-30 miles of the ride...

Last 10 miles were ~16 mph
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
troll #1...

I didn't know asking for help and advice = complaining. I'm not blaming this on anyone or anything other than me. I figured someone would give me the "HTFU" answer eventually.
 

·
Still On Steel
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
TheOcho said:
Yesterday I averaged 17-18 mph in the first 25-30 miles of the ride...
Ah. You've not mentioned your age, weight, or described your local terrain, but that's a pretty stout pace for someone who's only been riding a couple months.

Slow down to 15-16 mph and be amazed how far you can go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
TheOcho said:
Yesterday I averaged 17-18 mph in the first 25-30 miles of the ride...

Last 10 miles were ~16 mph

You've only been cycling for a couple of months. Just keep riding and building, and pace yourself a little better. Try maintaining a 16 mph pace from the beginning, and see how far you can get. Make sure you're taking in enough fluids.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,473 Posts
As others have said, slow down a little..

Are you stopping to take a break?

On a 50 mile ride, I'll take one 10-15 minute break...2 breaks on a Metric and 3-4 on a Century.

Don't try to set any speed/time records...Make your goal distance...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm 20, 5'11"ish and weigh about 175 pounds. Local terrain is mostly flat, with some long, gradual climbs, and some shorter rolling hills. Not mountainous by any stretch of the imagination.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
TheOcho said:
Some days in the heat, I just get zapped at around 40-45 miles. Other times, its been a combination of my hands going numb, ass hurting, neck beginning to get sore. Ordinarily, in 75 degree weather I could probably just sack up and finish my mileage goal with numb hands/butt/sore neck, but when it's in the 90's with 80% humidity the car, and cold water sstart sounding really good after 45 miles or so.
Sounds like you might need to get (pay for) a good quality fitting. There are some REALLY out of shape people out there who don't have things go numb so those types of pains aren't necessarily telling a story about fitness.
 

·
pedalpedalpedal
Joined
·
896 Posts
Get out of the saddle every couple minutes, shift up 2-3 gears, and lower your pedaling cadence. Let your body weight pedal for you, and give your thighs a rest. Your butt will feel better getting off that stiff saddle, your legs will be fresher at the top of a moderate climb, and you'll get some extra distance.

I've never been able to get past the 60-70mi mark in the past, but this year--Memorial Weekend--I did my first century with energy to spare. I did it on a singlespeed, and at the time, I was pushing 79.9 gear-inches. In years past, I always rode a geared bike, stayed seated, and pedaled 90-100rpm in a much lighter gear, shifting constantly.

For many, the other way works better, but for me, a large gear and slower cadence gets the job done, and I almost always have fresh legs, even after a 50mi ride. I've even gone up to 82.4 gear-inches now, and my legs feel even better. In fact, opposite of what most people have stated, my knees aren't sore after a ride. They used to be, but these days with a larger gear, they feel great. Mix it up, and see if this works better for you, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,078 Posts
TheOcho said:
troll #1...

I didn't know asking for help and advice = complaining. I'm not blaming this on anyone or anything other than me. I figured someone would give me the "HTFU" answer eventually.
Actually not a troll response.

It really does come down to just a bit of mental perseverance and intestinal fortitude. You have psyched yourself out of what is a very reasonable and obtainable goal. Ultimately it does come down to you having to bite the bullet and 'HTFU'.

While the cool car and cold water might sound nice it will be there when you finish. Don't leave yourself an out. Pick a route that necessitates you having to go 25 miles out with no shortcuts available so that you are forced to do the full 25 mile return leg. And don't get off the bike during the ride, it is harder to get back in the groove after stopping you just tighten up.

You will see that it is more just about sitting there and grinding it out than it is about distance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,990 Posts
Slow down, eat more, take a few breaks and you can ride pretty far.
 

·
Bsilver
Joined
·
30 Posts
It is all about pace

When I started running after the 1st mile I was out of gas. Finally It made sense that if I slowed down to a slower pace I could go farther and farther. The same thing holds true riding Slow down..you are not in a race yet. You are trying to reach a mileage goal. After you complete the longer distances a few times, then work on the time. The other big part is that your head is telling you not to go any further..but your body is a very cool machine and it can accomplish more than you think just let it perform.

I am 55 years old and have lost 90Lbs since last August. My body can do a lot if I just keep my head out of it. I could not walk around the block a year ago without pain..now I am training for a 1/2 martahon in October and cycling is a big part of my training.

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,372 Posts
Yes, slow down...as a single, you are using up your energy stores too early. You may be surprised how far you can go at 13-15 MPH. IMO: You need much more food and balance that with sufficient fluid intake.

For the sore neck, hands...stop and take a break at the 2 hour mark. Doesn't have to be long just stop, stand-up stretch for about 5 minutes then go. That little bit is enough to take the pressure off the sore spots. That is presuming the bike fit is appropriate for you at this stage.

It all comes with consistent training. Bike fit will help get you there more comfortably and with efficiency.
 

·
fu
Joined
·
2,424 Posts
ewitz said:
Actually not a troll response.

It really does come down to just a bit of mental perseverance and intestinal fortitude. You have psyched yourself out of what is a very reasonable and obtainable goal. Ultimately it does come down to you having to bite the bullet and 'HTFU'.

While the cool car and cold water might sound nice it will be there when you finish. Don't leave yourself an out. Pick a route that necessitates you having to go 25 miles out with no shortcuts available so that you are forced to do the full 25 mile return leg. And don't get off the bike during the ride, it is harder to get back in the groove after stopping you just tighten up.

You will see that it is more just about sitting there and grinding it out than it is about distance.
Agreed. Sounds like lack of motivation to me.
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top