Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thumbs are raw, I have covered every swear word I know but I can't for the life of me remove the Superlink IV from my Campy UN 5.9 chain. It has about 5k on it and it just started clicking so I tried to remove it and it just won't release. I have sprayed Tri flow and re-oiled it but I can get it off. Any suggestions? Secret tips? I changed out an earlier one with some fussing but it came off. This one must be defective.

Thanks in advance!

Nik

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
chain pliers...

Park sells special pliers for this purpose, but I just took a pair of cheap needle nose pliers and filed the ends down, so they would fit between the rollers. Squeeze the rollers together with the pliers and it should come loose.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do the pliers ruin the two links adjacent to the Superlink? I have an old pair of needle nose - so I'll try this tonight.

PS - an update is that I stopped by a really good mechanic friend of mine in NYC and he tried briefly (I couldn't leave my bike w/ him) and then shook his head when he couldn't get them to budge at all and asked if I was sure I had the correct link (i did as it has worked very well for 3500 mile suntil now).

I'll try the pliers. From now on its Connext Shimano 6.1 for me though....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well I can't find my camera so I'll just try to describe it, basically what you do is tie a loop of string around the KMC missing link then insert the chopstick in to the loop and turn until the link pops open(turning the chopstick shorten the length of string around the loop).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.