· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Call me a Fred
17,026 Posts
Lead rims.

· Registered
429 Posts
Same with the Cervelo R3-SL's with Zipp 202 wheels. I first noticed this in the Dauphine and Tour of Switzerland. In the mountain ITT of the Tour of Switzerland, they didn't even use these bikes, but Cervelo SLC (not SL) with an SRM power meter, so at least 500g heavier.

My conjecture is that they only systematically weigh bikes for hill climb ITT's as in Alpe d'Huez 2004 when lots of teams were confronted with illegally light bikes minutes from the rider's start (usually because they had assumed that computers would count), proving that they weren't used to controls.

-ilan

· Registered
2,817 Posts
awesome looking bike. I would imagine the alumin weighs in quite a bit, but I have no idea what the other riders are using so I couldn't compare.

I am sure they go under the weight and bring it back up using weights of some sort much like an F1 car uses balast to reconfigure where they want the weight to rebalance the car.

· Registered
988 Posts
I know they weighed bikes before Giro's tough steep ITT and a few riders had problems and some had to add second water bottles - I am not actually sure if 2 filled water bottles would count towards the weight of the bike in which case then the problem would be solved.

Another point is that I see different set-ups for same rider - i.e. alu stem on one day and carbon the next and of course there is the various wheel configurations ........

Therefore I think the weight limit has to be taken with a pinch of salt as it doesn't seem to be done consistently - can you imagine 180 bikes being weighed before and after every race (they might switch bikes or wheels etc during a stage as is often the case).

· Registered
172 Posts
CSC is known to throw chains in the downtubes of their SLC-SLs to get them up to weight. They try to get it as low to the bottom bracket as they can. Also, remember that most pros use alum stems and handlebars, because they hold up better in a crash.

· Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
I think the secret EPO hatch adds a bit of weight..

I've heard a lot of teams replace aluminum bolts & screws with steel for a bit of added weight. Also thin sheets of steel below bottle cages.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.