Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like an idiot... bike is a 2017 Roubaix Comp, and I can't figure out how to remove the wheel. I knew when I bought it that it was different than the normal quick-release skewer setup that my previous bikes had, and I'm sure the guy at the bike shop showed me how to remove it, but I've been lucky and have never had a flat on this bike until today (and my tires are in need of replacement).

It has what looks similar to a QR, but doesn't seem to have the ability to flip open. So, I assumed I would just turn it like a wrench to loosen/remove it, but haven't been able to get it to budge. Am I just not applying enough pressure, or is there some other trick? Appreciate any help!

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle tire

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
That looks like a picture of your crank arm, wait, that's the disk. Most just unloosen counter clockwise, someone probably tightened really really hard.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,886 Posts
I’m not a disk brake or thru axle person but I would expect to see a hex bolt on the axle. Use an Allen wrench for more leverage if so.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
It's on too tight and you can't get leverage because it's lined up with the seat stay. Go to the other side and loosen it with a hex wrench.
NO!!!!!!! Just grab it, pull on it like a button away from the bike and rotate it to a different angle away from the seat/chain stay and release. Then "grab it tight and turn it", use a pipe over it if you don't have wrists!

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
NO!!!!!!! Just grab it, pull on it like a button away from the bike and rotate it to a different angle away from the seat/chain stay and release. Then "grab it tight and turn it", use a pipe over it if you don't have wrists!
Yeah, you're right. I have not ridden my disc bike for awhile. Forgot about that...

·
Registered
29 Posts
That looks like a handle w/ a 5mm retaining bolt - not going to ratchet to a particular position but can be removed and re-installed in a closing position of choice.

Take the bolt out and set it better for grip by hand. Leveraging on the end with a seatpost or whatever can bend it. If the interface is solid enough, put the handle-end into your pouch/jersey pocket and use it only if and when.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
That looks like a handle w/ a 5mm retaining bolt - not going to ratchet to a particular position but can be removed and re-installed in a closing position of choice.

Take the bolt out and set it better for grip by hand. Leveraging on the end with a seatpost or whatever can bend it. If the interface is solid enough, put the handle-end into your pouch/jersey pocket and use it only if and when.
You are right, none of my disk wheels have that. It does look different than all my handles!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts