Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else using this device on Windows XP? I have used mine successfully since 2003 and love it. Unfortunately, ever since upgrading to a new XP computer, I have not been able to get my Infrared interface to work. It is certainly a driver issue. I have downloaded the latest software version, driver, and followed their sequence instructions.

Anyone else out there have some insight on this issue? I know of at least two other people who have had the same trouble, w/ no solution. It worked fine on my old Win 98 computer.

Thanks much!

Chris Brandt

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I was following those directions. In that same order. The problem I am coming across is when I attempt to locate the driver either via "automatic" or manual search. The process doesn't complete, even though it shows that it is making progress.

The box I get showing progress is titled: "Found New Hardware Wizard" and it says please wait while the wizard installs the software. Below that line, it shows the animated icon of files moving from one folder to another and a text line that says "PolarUSB.sys To: C:\WINDOWS\ System32\drivers.... And a progress bar that looks like it has done it 100%. At the bottom of that window, there are three buttons, all grayed out (unusable) for "back", "next", and "cancel". It will go on and on... until I force quit it and it tells me it is a "non-responsive program". I've even waited an hour before force quitting it.

I am running WinXP Media Center. Not sure if that is any different than XP.

·
building my engine
163 Posts
CDB said:
Yes, I was following those directions. In that same order. The problem I am coming across is when I attempt to locate the driver either via "automatic" or manual search. The process doesn't complete, even though it shows that it is making progress.

The box I get showing progress is titled: "Found New Hardware Wizard" and it says please wait while the wizard installs the software. Below that line, it shows the animated icon of files moving from one folder to another and a text line that says "PolarUSB.sys To: C:\WINDOWS\ System32\drivers.... And a progress bar that looks like it has done it 100%. At the bottom of that window, there are three buttons, all grayed out (unusable) for "back", "next", and "cancel". It will go on and on... until I force quit it and it tells me it is a "non-responsive program". I've even waited an hour before force quitting it.

I am running WinXP Media Center. Not sure if that is any different than XP.
Windows XP Media Center isn't much different than Win XP Home is to WinXP Pro. For what I've been able to deduct from your statement, it seems you are still trying to do this automatically.

I would sudgest doing as DanM advices and go here http://www.polarusa.com/service_repa..._con.asp?ID=43 and fallow the instructions. Now should this fail, download and run the USB driver remover found in that same page. Still would not work; update the OS, disable any antivirus software you may have running and run msconfig.

I don't really own this particular product, just though I would give you some every day WinXP tips.:D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am trying again after disabling my antivirus. I have followed those instructions. I have tried both the manual and auto install on the driver. Care to elaborate on the "msconfig" method?

Believe it or not, I've worked on this for at least 6 hours today. Grrr. I was home sick so had time to kill.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Old news

Odds are, that you don't have the original packaging that came with your usb unit, but is has to be a xp compatable device. Some of the earlier devices were not xp compatable. Call Polar, they sent my buddy a new IrDa xp compatable unit for free....Tim

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That could very well be it. One guy I know bought a new IR device and that worked. I got mine in the first generation that the 720i came out, spring 2003. I had gotten my self stuck on the idea that it was a simple matter of downloading a driver.

I just tossed that box finally after all that time, maybe a couple months ago.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Chris

·
Registered
266 Posts
I remember reading something somewhere about the serial number in the IR device. Some early ones were not compatible and gave users fits. There was a FAQ somewhere that went threw this. I'd vote for a diferent IR device as well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.