Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone else been sick all winter and spring? it seems like there are a million different colds, viruses, plagues or whatever going around this past few months, and it seems like i've picked up every one of them. right now i've got some kind of chest congestion thing, that's got me on anti-biotics . my doctor doesn't seem concerned, i trust him as he's a cyclist too, but still bloody frustrating! what are you doing to keep healthy?

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
iatola-rocnrola said:
has anyone else been sick all winter and spring? it seems like there are a million different colds, viruses, plagues or whatever going around this past few months, and it seems like i've picked up every one of them. right now i've got some kind of chest congestion thing, that's got me on anti-biotics . my doctor doesn't seem concerned, i trust him as he's a cyclist too, but still bloody frustrating! what are you doing to keep healthy?
I was beer sick a lot last summer. Very frustrating when you wake up on a Saturday and the only thing you want to do is lay on the couch, watch star trek reruns and drink gatorade all day. The cold pizza and mexican food was nice tho.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
It can be a downward spiral

iatola-rocnrola said:
I think you should as your Doc if moderate excercise is OK, and then go out for easy rides even if you're not 100%. My personal experience is that moderate exercise makes me feel much better, especially with chest congestion, colds, flu. The toughest part for me is getting on the bike and riding the first mile when I feel like crap.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,016 Posts
Same aliments

I agree with Reynolds531. It's tough to get started when you feel like crap. I have some sort of chest congestion too. I find while riding (easy) I feel better. It's only when I get off the bike that my congestion resurfaces with a vengence and I feel like crap again. Sigh.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Me, too...if I waited until I was feeling 100% I'd never get back on the bike. The strange thing is that when I'm feeling pretty good and there are no obstacles to riding, I'm often not that interested, but when I feel like I'm at Death's door, nothing bothers me more than not being able to ride.

Gotta get my priorities straight....

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
Eat more garlic.

You may also want to look into Scientology. It seems to be working out well for Tom Cruise.

·
Registered
137 Posts
iatola-rocnrola said:
I feel your pain. I've been sick for the past three weeks... okay, that's not all winter and spring, but it has seriously interrupted my training schedule. I had a nasty chest cold and then an upper respiratory infection, then I was plagued by allergies which I've never had before. I finally went to the doctor about the cough that hasn't cleared up yet and talked to him about my difficulty breathing when on the bike and they seem to think I have asthma, too.

GAH! If it's not one thing, it's another. The silver lining in all of this is that albuterol kicks ass.

·
Registered
590 Posts
iatola-rocnrola said:
more exercise strengthens your immune systems...

i remember reading a study that said that people who exercised outdoors had a lot stronger immune systems when it came to respiratory infections and problems. i'll see if i can find it again.

·
Registered
838 Posts
suggestion: get off the drugs. Do you get antibiotics often? Are you aware that antibiotics don't have an effect on anything viral? That includes flu. (forgive me if you already knew that...so many people don't.) Does your Dr. test you to see if you have a bacterial vs. viral infection before he gives you anything? If not, I'd get a new Dr or at least ask him why. I would suggest getting off the over-the-counter stuff, too. All that crap lowers your resistance to the next round of contagion.

Hope you feel better!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Some people are just more prone to sickness than others. I rarely get sick and I don't do squat to stay healthy. I make out with sick people, eat unrefrigerated food, and follow the 15 second rule. Of course my rational is that the more pathogens I introduce, the stronger my immune system will get :cool:

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
that would be one...

litespeedchick said:
suggestion: get off the drugs. Do you get antibiotics often? Are you aware that antibiotics don't have an effect on anything viral? That includes flu. (forgive me if you already knew that...so many people don't.) Does your Dr. test you to see if you have a bacterial vs. viral infection before he gives you anything? If not, I'd get a new Dr or at least ask him why. I would suggest getting off the over-the-counter stuff, too. All that crap lowers your resistance to the next round of contagion.

Hope you feel better!

UNeducated doctor...including a proficiency for bloodletting and leeches.

I just got over a 3 week cold...upper respiratory infection...just sat through and suffered. no training whatsoever for a good week..energy leve is still fairly low this week as I start to resume. one good thing.... I LOST SIX POUNDS!! gotta love the OJ diet..it was like intense training workouts for a couple weeks all shed in about 8 days...probably why the energy level is so low. anyway...don't train through it, that might cause secondary infections which would knock you out longer . we're human, we get sick. it'll get better and will put you behind in any training schedule...but that's life.

as for immune systems boosts...rumor has it multivitamins, garlic, emergen-C, washing your hands OFTEN, and staying away from sick people, old people, and children.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ditto!

regan said:
more exercise strengthens your immune systems...

i remember reading a study that said that people who exercised outdoors had a lot stronger immune systems when it came to respiratory infections and problems. i'll see if i can find it again.
Though I'm not doctor nor do I know the scientific fact but It appear to work for me. I can't remember the last time I got sick. I've been biking 4-5 days a week, 250-300 miles a week, all year around for the last 5 years in the four seasons state of Colorado. When I feel a little cold coming on, I would still bike and the cold would either diminish or I would recover very quickly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ill-tola

yeah, the doc tested, that's why i'm on anti-b's, i have to say since i started taking them, yesterday, i do feel like it's starting to lift. don't knock the doc. he is good. we figure it's maybe a bit of rough luck this year really, i was under a lot of stress less fall, and that could have triggered all kinds of things. having said that, i do work outside (metal fabrication) and of course ride. so yeah, that could be an issue. i tried riding last week, but that just made this bug dig in deeper. so now it's rest time. really i just needed to vent. i love riding so much. thankfully, the internet is loaded with cycling stuff.!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
How ironic. I feel myself getting sick now. :mad:

pavedroad said:
Some people are just more prone to sickness than others. I rarely get sick and I don't do squat to stay healthy. I make out with sick people, eat unrefrigerated food, and follow the 15 second rule. Of course my rational is that the more pathogens I introduce, the stronger my immune system will get :cool:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yeah, antibotics really can take a toll on you. I had to take amxocillin, and it actually made me worse. I had a bad allergic reaction them...just horrible...

I ride 5-6 days a week, and 90% of the time I just taper the ride times down and intensity. High intensity (80% MHR) workouts really can mess with your immune system. Personally Ive done some high intensity workouts less than a week recovering from an illness, and put myself in even worse shape than before. Latly I've been listening to how my body feels and keeping easy rides during illness and waitng a bit longer for high intensity workouts.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Children?

iatola-rocnrola said:
yeah, the doc tested, that's why i'm on anti-b's, i have to say since i started taking them, yesterday, i do feel like it's starting to lift. don't knock the doc. he is good. we figure it's maybe a bit of rough luck this year really, i was under a lot of stress less fall, and that could have triggered all kinds of things. having said that, i do work outside (metal fabrication) and of course ride. so yeah, that could be an issue. i tried riding last week, but that just made this bug dig in deeper. so now it's rest time. really i just needed to vent. i love riding so much. thankfully, the internet is loaded with cycling stuff.!!
Do you have School-age kids? It seems that this year my coworkers have been especially hard hit by the same things you describe, these things keep popping up. One kid will get sick, then another, then Mom, then Dad, then one of the the kids will bring a new bug home from day care or school and then the cycle starts all over.
IMO all children should be shipped to an island somewhere and not be allowed to rejoin society until they are gainfully employed. Think how happy adults would be not being infected all the time by those grocery-consuming, noisy little petri dishes. I'M KIDDING EVERYONE!
Anyway you're doing the right thing by resting, especially if you have a productive cough. Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
635 Posts
every time i start to feel sick i do as follows:
drink a nalgene of water (32 oz)
get on the trainer for an hour, moderatly hard so im nice and sweaty (no open windows or fans allowed)
take a long shower
drink another nalgene of water
go to sleep for 8 full hours (you will probably have to pee though, but make sure you get 8 or more hours)

I usually come out of it feeling dandy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts