Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else tried/sold a bike and felt really sad? I was looking at my bike today a felt b2 with sram force 22 and drops. I wanted to sell it because its the wrong geometry and my lower back is killing me.But, I have had so much memories with this guy and I feel like if i sell it a piece of me is gone. Anyone else can relate ???

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Frankly, that sounds nuts. It causes you pain and you're emotionally attached to it? Not healthy, IMHO. Sell that sucker and get a bike that fits you. And it's just a bike, not a "guy."

IMHO. No offense intended, but you asked for opinions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frankly, that sounds nuts. It causes you pain and you're emotionally attached to it? Not healthy, IMHO. Sell that sucker and get a bike that fits you. And it's just a bike, not a "guy."

IMHO. No offense intended, but you asked for opinions.
Not offended at all lol. This was the first bike I built myself so

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
This thread reminds me of a story.

Years ago I was the newsletter editor for our bike club's monthly. I would write articles as well. In one edition I told the story of having a bike stolen. While that bike was like a longtime friend to me, in the article I wrote, "I have no emotional attachment to that bike. I won't miss it much."

A friend later told me he could imagine Arnold Schwarzenegger saying that in his Terminator voice! That always stuck with me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Years ago I was the newsletter editor for our bike club's monthly. I would write articles as well. In one edition I told the story of having a bike stolen. While that bike was like a longtime friend to me, in the article I wrote, "I have no emotional attachment to that bike. I won't miss it much."

A friend later told me he could imagine Arnold Schwarzenegger saying that in his Terminator voice! That always stuck with me.
Damn :/

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Some day you'll be in your 60s and won't get so attached to things. People yes, things no.

I've had a few "perfect for me" (at that moment in time) bikes, a half-dozen perfect cars/trucks, one perfect wife (now ex) and many perfect girlfriends.
Perfection and affection are relative and often temporary.

You'll hardly remember that ill-fitting bike a year from now except as an example of what not to buy.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,155 Posts

In 2003 two of my bikes were stolen from my garage. A Japanese Paramount (I had Joe Bell repaint her then she was involved in a crash and Joe Bell replaced the top tube, down tube, fork blades and another repaint. Gawd, I loved that bike) and a 2001 Schwinn Fastback Limited. A few months ago someone posted my Schwinn Fastback Limited for sale on my local Craigslist. The thing that really made me know it was my bike was the custom "Schwinn" decals I had made for my bike. I had made my peace with my stolen bikes but I couldn't let it go. I didn't want to let him/her feel like they got away with stealing my bike so I contacted the seller and informed them that they were selling my stolen bike. I informed them what parts were originally on the bike and left it at that. To my surprise the seller responded, saying that when he bought the bike it did have the parts I described, and he offered to give my bike my bike. He said he paid $110 for it so I thought it was fair to compensate him for that.

Although I finally made peace with my stolen bike it was still a pleasure to have her back. BTW, even with old school parts (full Dura Ace 7700 9spd and Alex 300 wheelset) she still clocks in at 17 lbs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In 2003 two of my bikes were stolen from my garage. A Japanese Paramount (I had Joe Bell repaint her then she was involved in a crash and Joe Bell replaced the top tube, down tube, fork blades and another repaint. Gawd, I loved that bike) and a 2001 Schwinn Fastback Limited. A few months ago someone posted my Schwinn Fastback Limited for sale on my local Craigslist. The thing that really made me know it was my bike was the custom "Schwinn" decals I had made for my bike. I had made my peace with my stolen bikes but I couldn't let it go. I didn't want to let him/her feel like they got away with stealing my bike so I contacted the seller and informed them that they were selling my stolen bike. I informed them what parts were originally on the bike and left it at that. To my surprise the seller responded, saying that when he bought the bike it did have the parts I described, and he offered to give my bike my bike. He said he paid $110 for it so I thought it was fair to compensate him for that.

Although I finally made peace with my stolen bike it was still a pleasure to have her back. BTW, even with old school parts (full Dura Ace 7700 9spd and Alex 300 wheelset) she still clocks in at 17 lbs.
Thats crazy! Glad you found your bike
I would of tried to trace the person who originally stole it though

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I was with you... until that part about it hurting to ride it. I still have my 1997 Klein - because I couldn't bring myself to sell it, first good road bike, etc. But - and it's a big but - I still love riding it. It doesn't hurt to ride it.

I'd let that old Felt go. Get emotionally attached to something more comfortable ;-)

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
Thats crazy! Glad you found your bike
I would of tried to trace the person who originally stole it though

After 12+ years, the thief is probably either dead or in prison. Regardless, the statute of limitations has long since expired.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was with you... until that part about it hurting to ride it. I still have my 1997 Klein - because I couldn't bring myself to sell it, first good road bike, etc. But - and it's a big but - I still love riding it. It doesn't hurt to ride it.

I'd let that old Felt go. Get emotionally attached to something more comfortable ;-)
Lol I have a klein as well and its also big. Its almost impossible to find a size 53 but either way someone gave it to me for free so I was still happy

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Anyone else tried/sold a bike and felt really sad? I was looking at my bike today a felt b2 with sram force 22 and drops. I wanted to sell it because its the wrong geometry and my lower back is killing me.But, I have had so much memories with this guy and I feel like if i sell it a piece of me is gone. Anyone else can relate ???
I have struggled with selling certain bikes, which is probably part of the reason I have 5 road bikes. I just recently sold my steel Marin, to make room for a new bike. I had a lot of good memories of this bike but I had come to grips with selling it. When I took it to the shop to get it boxed, the mechanic came out and said "what a great bike!". That was like a small dagger to the ribs.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've had a hard time selling some musical equipment. But once I actually moved the pieces, I did not miss them at all. Get something that works better for you and you will be happy.

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
I think you will find you miss that bike less then you thought. The bike is the tool, and the riding and events are the things you remember. You have the wrong tool, and the ability to remedy the issue.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
John insisted that I sell my very first mtb, a rigid chromoly HardRock Sport. I did my first (and only!) century on that bike; was a messenger on that bike, rode my first dirt.... he blamed it for my sore back, and maybe it wasn't perfectly sized, but still!

Anyway. He's got a road bike that he never rides, but it's not worth a whole lot of money. It doesn't fit me. Somehow he has concluded that it makes more sense to hang it up in the basement for a ride every five years or so, rather than turn it into useful cash.

He's the same way about his sneakers- never wears them, doesn't run due to sore knees, but won't let me wear them (my size) and keeps them just in case he decides to go for a run :skep:

But these are logical decisions of course :p

Kinda miss that old bike, it was practical, but it's an excuse to upgrade. I have the photos and the memories.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
If it hurts to sell the bike, then don't. Are you married? Would you rather lose the bike or the spouse? My point is, who is making you sell the bike? It's not unusual to have an emotional attachment, especially if you have good memories of the item.

Do you have some wall space? Hang it up and display it with a story. It will make a great conversation piece.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Frankly, that sounds nuts. It causes you pain and you're emotionally attached to it? Not healthy, IMHO.
Some people prefer pain. I think it's some sort of fetish. Just saying...

Sell that sucker and get a bike that fits you. And it's just a bike, not a "guy."
Machines, like cars and ships, are sometimes referred to as "she".

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Take a picture and keep the headset top cap... Then sell it and make new memories on the new ride that doesn't hurt your back...

I argue with my wife because she's always trying to make me get rid of things with sentimental value, but ultimately a lot of it would just live in a box or in the garage. So a picture of it on the hdd is just about as good.

I definitely have not been able to get rid of my first "real" bike though. 1996 Mongoose hardtail, doesn't get any use but it's not going anywhere. Same goes for the Armstrong 3-speed I inherited when my dad passed away.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.