Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep thinking about my wife and daughter in the hospital.......I've slept only about 7 hours since tuesday evening.......any suggestions....???

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
physasst said:
Keep thinking about my wife and daughter in the hospital.......I've slept only about 7 hours since tuesday evening.......any suggestions....???
A beer, a shot and two benadryl......try to relax, impossible most likely but if you can turn it down you might be able to drift off......

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Don't worry about it phys, they'll be fine. Heaps of people give birth before the actual date. Go for a ride, visit some friends, go out for lunch. Your wife is strong and so are you. No worries mate.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't sleep either tonight for some reason. So while I'm up, I'll pray for you and your wife and daughter. It'll be alright dude!

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
It's okay, no-one would get much sleep in your position. Ride, have a shot at night or a glass of nice wine and don't worry about not sleeping, it will come.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
physasst said:
Get used to it, new dad. :p

After reading the other thread, it sounds like everything is going to be fine. 33 weeks is pretty routine these days and at 5lbs 7oz it sounds like the baby is adequately developed. I know that won't help you sleep, though.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
physasst said:
you gotta get some rest! as wayne said...they're going to be great. if you need sleep assistance a shot or two of bourbon or a dose of nyquil always helps me. we're pulling for you...

·
gazing from the shadows
27,208 Posts
Lay on the couch and watch baseball. That always puts me to sleep.

A short term pharmaceutical solution might be appropriate. Say, a couple samples of Ambien. Since what is keeping you up is your busy mind, just short circuit the memory function and you will drift off in no time. Normally I avoid such things, but given your situation it might be enough for you to get a couple nights sleep and get a bit rested up. That will probably help quiet your mind and get you back to a more normal sleep cycle.

A non-pharma way is to count your breathes. Try to inhale for a slow count of 10, then exhale for a slow count of 10. Gradually lengthen your counts. This will slow your heart rate and the repetition will calm your mind. That can work.

Personally, I have a thought sequence that seems to knock me right out at night, kind of autohypnosis. But that takes a while to get working... and you have to do it when you are actually sleeping regularly to establish the pattern. In any case, good luck. Try the breathing or baseball tonight, and then try some drugs if that does not work. You NEED some sleep, for yourself and your wife.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
dr hoo said:
Lay on the couch and watch baseball. That always puts me to sleep.

A short term pharmaceutical solution might be appropriate. Say, a couple samples of Ambien. Since what is keeping you up is your busy mind, just short circuit the memory function and you will drift off in no time. Normally I avoid such things, but given your situation it might be enough for you to get a couple nights sleep and get a bit rested up. That will probably help quiet your mind and get you back to a more normal sleep cycle.

A non-pharma way is to count your breathes. Try to inhale for a slow count of 10, then exhale for a slow count of 10. Gradually lengthen your counts. This will slow your heart rate and the repetition will calm your mind. That can work.

Personally, I have a thought sequence that seems to knock me right out at night, kind of autohypnosis. But that takes a while to get working... and you have to do it when you are actually sleeping regularly to establish the pattern. In any case, good luck. Try the breathing or baseball tonight, and then try some drugs if that does not work. You NEED some sleep, for yourself and your wife.
even better, a baseball game on tape that's a pitching duel where u know the outcome...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
physasst said:
Say goodbye to regular sleep for a couple years. Consider this training. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts