Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I have been riding my synapse 6 for about a year now and though I like the feel of the bike, I know now some of the things I don't like so much. Mostly drivetrain and shifting. Any way, I have decided to get new bike and the 2 that I am the most interested in are the Scott CR1 Team with 105 group and Cervelo S1 ultegra.
Now just assuming that both are equal re: fit/comfort in other words I feel good on either, Which do you think is the best bet? My long rides are usually 30 to 50 miles and I try to get in 50 to sixty miles a week on avg. On my evening 16 mile rides a couple times a week, I avg between 16.5 and 17.5 MPH. I am 50 yrs old, 240lbs but in pretty good shape. That is actually down 45Lbs from last year. Will get to 225 by summer.:)

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
If the components are of equal quality, and the ride is the same for you, then buy the less expensive, or which one you like the looks of more.

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I understand that and that makes sense. thank you, but the differences are, the Cervelo is aluminum with ultegra group and the Scott is Carbon with 105 group.

·
Registered
366 Posts
What components are on your current bike?
Assuming it fits, then why not just swap out the current drivetrain for something else- say SRAM or Campy, assuming you’re on Shimano.

For a change to SRAM, you’d only need new shifters, and derailleurs for the most part.

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
knucklesandwich said:
What components are on your current bike?
Assuming it fits, then why not just swap out the current drivetrain for something else- say SRAM or Campy, assuming you’re on Shimano.
I looked into that and I just can't justify spending 800 on a bike that cost a grand.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Cervelo with Ultegra.
A cheap carbon frame is just that.
A good aluminum frame is cheaper, and better, than most mass produced carbon frames. Is usually lighter, and is almost always stiffer. You have to spend alot of money on a carbon frame that is as stiff as a good al frame.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
the Cervelo SL has a slack seat tube angle 73 while the Scott may not. This will affect the sizing. I bring this up because if your short and are seeking a short top tube bike the SL may be the way to go. size it by the head tube, if the current bike has a 100mm head tube, for example and your comfortable, the new one should be close to the same. IMO the Cervelo sl would be the winner. if it fits, it already has pretty good components on it. you won't be upgrading for awhile. ride them both if you can.

·
Banned
177 Posts
The Cervelo will be less comfortable over the long haul being aluminum. I would disagree with the statement that aluminum be superior to cheaper carbon; my only concern would be to verify with your LBS that the frame is designed for at least 200 lbs.

There are a lot of other options out there for similar cost. The Felt Z series is a very comfortable bike with a variety of component packages. Take your time and see what is out there before pulling the trigger. If you have not been fit before you owe it to yourself to do that since some frame geometries will fit each person better than others.

·
World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,086 Posts
Maybe I am talking out of my ass, but I think the Synapse frameset (along with the CAAD 9) is about the finest made aluminum frameset made today. I would not hesitate getting onto Ebay, PBK, or any other place and going to a really nice component group. It will work great on the bike, and as you already said, fit is not the issue, but components. Spending $800 on components for a $1000 bike is misleading, as that frameset is the same throughout their range. You get lesser value for Cannondales on the low end, but once you upgrade them after time, they become even better values.

Just my .02.

Good luck.

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it is set. I have an appointment next week to be fitted and to try out 3 bikes. I advised them of my size and weight when I originally spoke to them and that is when they suggested the CR1 Team and the S1. As far as the third bike that they will have me try, they are going to think about that. They do carry a pretty broad range of real nice bikes inc. the Felt. So maybe that will be one. It is nice to know however that there are a lot of options that I can try. They figured it to be a 3+ hour appointment.
Can't wait!

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Magsdad said:
Maybe I am talking out of my ass, but I think the Synapse frameset (along with the CAAD 9) is about the finest made aluminum frameset made today. I would not hesitate getting onto Ebay, PBK, or any other place and going to a really nice component group. It will work great on the bike, and as you already said, fit is not the issue, but components. Spending $800 on components for a $1000 bike is misleading, as that frameset is the same throughout their range. You get lesser value for Cannondales on the low end, but once you upgrade them after time, they become even better values.

Just my .02.

Good luck.
I hear what you are saying and those are very valid points. I am open to the Idea but I am now thinking of keeping the Synapse for a local hop on and run to the store bike. Maybe make it more of a touring bike. regular pedals type of thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts