Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ultrasauna-ing?
View attachment 207892
A Russian man trying to win the Sauna World Championships died after collapsing with severe burns in the final stage of an event that required contestants to sit in a 230-degree (110 Celsius) room as water was tossed onto a searing stove, officials and witnesses said.

Vladimir Ladyzhenskiy was pronounced dead late Saturday after he collapsed in the sauna alongside reigning champion Timo Kaukonen of Finland. Medical workers pulled both men out of the sauna and administered first aid in front of nearly 1,000 spectators in the southern Finnish town of Heinola.

TRAGIC SPORTS DEATHS
Sports has lost many athletes way too soon. We list a few.Both were shaking and bleeding from what appeared to be severe burns, said Hakon Eikesdal, a photographer with the Norwegian daily Dagbladet.

Kaukonen was hospitalized in stable condition Sunday, contest spokesman Ossi Arvela said.

The annual contest, which had over 130 participants from 15 countries, had been held since 1999. It will never be held again, Arvela said.

Half a liter (a pint) of water is added to the stove every 30 seconds and the last person to remain at the sauna is the winner.

There was no prize other than "some small things" Arvela said. He declined to provide details.

Arvela said Kaukonen - the defending world champion - had refused to leave the sauna despite appearing sick.

Sauna bathing is a popular past-time in Finland, which has an estimated 1.6 million saunas for a population of 5 million. Temperatures are normally kept around 158 to 176 degrees (70 -80 degrees Celsius).

"I know this is very hard to understand to people outside Finland who are not familiar with the sauna habit," Arvela said. "It is not so unusual to have 110 degrees in a sauna. A lot of competitors before have sat in higher temperatures than that."

Arvala said all rules in Saturday's competition were followed and the temperatures and times were similar to those in previous years.

He said police are investigating the death.

Rising reported from Stockholm, Sweden

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
wtf??

·
huvia ja hyötyä
572 Posts
I am sure there have been deaths in competitive cycling... and people are still doing it :rolleyes:

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Two men enter. One mans leaves.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Above the boiling point? They must measure the temp in the steamer. If the entire room was that hot, their skin would boil. That's insane (literally).

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
At least he didn't die wearing these.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
Above the boiling point? They must measure the temp in the steamer. If the entire room was that hot, their skin would boil. That's insane (literally).
Doesn't look pretty. :eek:

·
huvia ja hyötyä
572 Posts
Of course it is insane. And I happen to think that sauna can be very nice at 60 to 80 Celsius.

(temps being above the boiling point in the room doesn't automatically mean that the skin boils. I spend a good part of my life at temps below the freezing point and it does not mean that my skin freezes as soon as I go outside)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rogger said:
Doesn't look pretty. :eek:

Do you think they'll still have the World Hot Tub Championship this year? What about the Steamshower Nationals? Or the Southwest Sweat Lodge Convention?:eek:

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
perttime said:
(temps being above the boiling point in the room doesn't automatically mean that the skin boils. I spend a good part of my life at temps below the freezing point and it does not mean that my skin freezes as soon as I go outside)
No, you won't boil right away, but if you're properly clothed you can stand very cold temperatures much longer than very hot temperatures because you have an internal source of heat.

When it's cold outside, your core can maintain its temperature so long as you're well enough insulated. When it's too hot out, your core has no inner sink for excess heat, so it can't cool you down.

Temperatures over 104 F with high humidity are very dangerous. Temperatures over 120 F with high humidity are insane.

·
huvia ja hyötyä
572 Posts
Fredke said:
Temperatures over 120 F with high humidity are insane.
If you have to spend a while there.

Something like 10 minutes at humid 180 F / 80 Celsius can actually be pretty pleasant, especially if you can take a dip in a lake (or roll in the snow :eek: ) before you go back for more...

edit:
Staying in freezing temps naked for a few minutes wont kill me either. Want to know how I know? A few hours is a different matter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts