Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to get the camper out, any other RV'ers, campers here?.....gotta take her and giver a good bath as she's a little dirty now.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Too many times almost killed by ol' farts in super-RV's. I've got a permanent hatred toward the things unfortunately.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
lived out of a 77 vw camper van(wesphalia with pop top) for 3 years. being a climbing bum. I had that thing pimped out. handmade front door panels, sliding door panel rear hatch, mega stereo, 3 amps, 2 subs, 1 farad capacitor (so my headlamps didn't dim to the beat of the bass), $600 in dynamat, converted fridge to a simple ice box which drained to outside (block of ice would last about 6-9 days). I had 2 burners and a sink (which worked well as a urinal when it was cold at night). Unfortunatley its in bus heaven. So yeah physasst I can relate. You got a nice camper!

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
physasst said:
to get the camper out, any other RV'ers, campers here?.....gotta take her and giver a good bath as she's a little dirty now.
I love camping, the wife does too. We're more purist though... no campers or RVs, just tents, a propane lantern and some MREs.

We haven't gone in 4 years. :(

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
I'd love to have a camper like phys. I'll have to settle for my little REI tent though...although I can fit a twin sized mattress in it! Yay for comfort!

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Backpacking here I come. Nothin better than real camping with nothing more than a thin layer of nylon between you and the 500 lb bear in your campsite! :D Thats why we do all our camping in the winter. Gotta love 2 ft of snow and -20 F when you're in a tent. Haven't been camping in the summer since college....too many people and bugs!

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
HokieRider said:
Backpacking here I come. Nothin better than real camping with nothing more than a thin layer of nylon between you and the 500 lb bear in your campsite! :D Thats why we do all our camping in the winter. Gotta love 2 ft of snow and -20 F when you're in a tent. Haven't been camping in the summer since college....too many people and bugs!

Winter camping is the best. Can't get the SO to go for it though. It's been many moons since I've done it but the last time it was in the low teens w/ lots of snow.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
lousylegs said:
Anyone ever tell you that you have way too much time on your hands?
Don't discourage him! His pictures are the best thing going on the board right now...they never fail to crack me up each and every time I see them.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Oh I just can't wait to be king!

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah

snapdragen said:
I'd love to have a camper like phys. I'll have to settle for my little REI tent though...although I can fit a twin sized mattress in it! Yay for comfort!

we love it, the pic above is actually from their online catalog, we have the exact same model, except ours has a large white bubble on top- we had AC installed. To Ken, yeah, I loved roughing it....used to go hunting up into the mountains in Pennsylvania with a little pup tent and a backpack.....me and a buddy would go with nothing but the tent, backpacks, a couple of knives, and our armory....for me a 9mm handgun, and a BEAUTIFUL 30-06 bolt action....we would hunt for and fish for all of our food, and get all of our water from the streams. UNFORTUNATELY, the SO wanted a more comfortable camping environment, hence the camper. I like it too, it's nice to have a cold fridge, AC for sleeping, and a table to eat at inside.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
My parents are down in Florida at the moment with their motorhome. It's just too much, IMO.

When I was growing up, we'd head out in our little popup, a Starcraft Galaxy 7. It was white with brown and orange stripes down the side and a tan canvas roof. The two wheels had rusty chrome dogdish hubcaps, and it had an aftermarket A/C unit that consisted of a window unit for a home carefully placed through a huge hole cut underneath the back bed. Man, that trailer would get cold quick.

I loved that thing to death, and have many fond memories associated with it. Towing it behind our brown '79 Ford F-100 with our dog Corky in a cage in the back, we'd go all over Kentucky and Indiana state parks. We'd park and I'd do anything to help - sliding the beds out and putting in the supports, whatever. Undoing the six clamps that held the roof down was my favourite activity, and then I'd do my best to crank the roof all the way up. Afterwards I'd grab my bike and explore every square inch of the campground, only to return at dinnertime. If I wasn't riding the whole time, I was on the playground or at the pool with my mom, swatting away the horseflies.

The dinette was on my end of the popup, and we'd place things on my bed during the day to get them out of the way. So every night I'd climb up into the bed (requiring some assistance when I was really young) and move everything down onto the table for the night. The little foam mattress was my haven, and I'd just sit in my bed and run my fingers over the canvas above my head to hear the sound they made on the fabric. The best time was when it was raining...I can still hear that sound in my head. When it was time to wake up, I'd open my eyes and immediately crawl around the bed, opening the canvas coverings on the plastic windows to look outside and see how the day was going to be.

Later the truck got old, so we used a blue '90 F-150 for a while, but my parents wanted something larger...so they upgraded in '95 to a 29' travel trailer and a new F-150 powerful enough to tow it. That was a good trailer, too - I loved the cocoony feeling while lying lower bunk bed, and the window right there next to me that I could open and poke my head out of. Eventually they sold it for a similar model which I never really was fond of, and two years ago purchased the 31' motorhome. Now my dad wants some sort of large diesel pusher.

The current rig's ok, I guess, but not as good as that first 29' trailer. And nothing, of course, can hold a candle to that little Starcraft popup. Thanks for the memories, physasst.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
lousylegs said:
Anyone ever tell you that you have way too much time on your hands?
Why does everyone I know keep saying that!:D

Sometimes being an engineer means waiting around to see if your design will blow up. Solid, stable designs leave me with time on my hands.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts