Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Teach me how to Bucky
465 Posts
Even in Madison, the simple answer is...

Nope.

The comment section is dominated by the rude and spiteful on both sides of the argument.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I understand his point, we do have a right to the roads also. But at the same time it's still a 200 pound person and rider vs a 2000 pound car. My commute would be a lot shorter if i took the direct route, but the danger just isnt worth it.

At the end of the day i would take the bike path, ride slower and avoid all the crap he is running into. Being able to say that its your right to ride on the road will be small condolences to a family who has lost their father.

Bill

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
people will never get along because people aren't patient

slower traffic (be it joggers compared to a bike on a path, or roadbikes compared to cars on the road) always annoys faster traffic

people don't like being slowed down (even if you have every bit as much right as them to be there)

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Nope we cant get along

If you are going faster than me (by whatever means), you're a maniac.

If you are going slower than me, you are an idiot.

Sounds pretty simple, self serving, egocentric to me. What's the problem again?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Can't we all get along? It sure would be nice. Perhaps a nobler goal doesn't exist. I'm sure trying hard to do my part in facilitating this. Unfortunately I'm not optimistic.

The getting along part...,maybe we could start with the Palestinians and Indians, or maybe the Jews and Arabs, men and women, then eventually work down the line to bicycles and motor vehicles?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
Can't we all get along? It sure would be nice. Perhaps a nobler goal doesn't exist. I'm sure trying hard to do my part in facilitating this. Unfortunately I'm not optimistic.

The getting along part...,maybe we could start with the Palestinians and Indians, or maybe the Jews and Arabs, men and women, then eventually work down the line to bicycles and motor vehicles?
true.. there are other groups in teh world that needs to get along for the sake of all moreso than cyclists and motorists

in some cases though..I can`t see any foreseable end to the struggles on those fronts.. unfurtonately untill idiots stop getting their liscences or being able to purchase bicycles (let`s face it there are some idiots on 2 unmotorized wheels too) it ain`t gonna happen...

now.. let`s all go ride! :23:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
For me, I find that cycling defensively and smartly allows me to be pretty safe most of the time. I think having a positive attitude and not expecting confrontations also works. If you go out looking for a driver to yell at, you're probably going to find them.

I look forward to the day when I don't get the 1-2 dangerous passes when I'm out riding. I'm not that optimistic about it, but I'll keep hope alive. I just have to shake my head, "Huh, everyone else except YOU passed me safely in the last two hours...why did you have to pass me on that blind curve?"

During my ride on Saturday I didn't see a car for the first hour. It was heaven. Then I nearly got run over - in a school zone...and the driver was in a Corvette with personalized plates. Go figger!

I've lived in suburbia, small cities, medium cities, and big cities. I actually find that in the bigger cities there are a lot of unsafe and dangerous cyclists. People with music in both ears who can't steer in a straight line. "Edgy" urban folk who think signs and lights are, like, so lame. Cars expect to see cyclists, I think, in bigger cities, but that doesn't mean they are riding safely and doing the most to insure they to are sharing the road.

·
Administrator
12,959 Posts
People are morons, so no. Its not just car-bike, it also car-car, car-train and car-18 wheeler trucks.

·
BIGchainRING
321 Posts
feeling blessed

Coolhand said:
People are morons, so no. Its not just car-bike, it also car-car, car-train and car-18 wheeler trucks.
+1 on this one.

To the OP. Thanks for the very comprehensive article.

I am glad I bike where I do (Bay Area, CA). Drivers are 99.9% courteous here. If I come up to a stop sign, it is almost as if the cars expect me to roll right through. I don't just cruise through in front of cars purely because I don't want to get hit. Often times, their hesitance makes it tough for me to stay clipped in, but life is struggle, no?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts