Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
swervy jervy
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something's up.

I use Shimano cantis. The BR-R550s. I like them. I happen to like Shimano products.

Anyway. I'm noticing an uneven pull between the two arms. Both front and back but more so in the front. The left arm's action is immediate with the lever pull. The right arm (as viewed from the cockpit) does not move until the left arm has made contact with the rim. The stopping power is quite good but I'm wondering if this is abnormal.

I don't use the stiff wire straddle that usually comes with the brakes. I'm using a traditional cable yoke (aka straddle). If I work the straddle way over to the right arm the action evens out a tiny bit but then things are cattywompus as hell.

Maybe this is normal? Is the answer in the adjustment screws - possible that one spring is tighter than the other? Don't worry about it?

As I said, they stop really well. No complaints there but I'd assume the pull would be more equal.

Thanks for your help.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Assuming that there is no problem preventing the brakes from pivoting smoothly on the canti-posts, it sounds like you need to adjust the spring tension screws.

When the pads don't hit the rim simultaneously they can cause a mushy feeling at the lever.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
the pope said:
Something's up.

I use Shimano cantis. The BR-R550s. I like them. I happen to like Shimano products.

Anyway. I'm noticing an uneven pull between the two arms. Both front and back but more so in the front. The left arm's action is immediate with the lever pull. The right arm (as viewed from the cockpit) does not move until the left arm has made contact with the rim. The stopping power is quite good but I'm wondering if this is abnormal.

I don't use the stiff wire straddle that usually comes with the brakes. I'm using a traditional cable yoke (aka straddle). If I work the straddle way over to the right arm the action evens out a tiny bit but then things are cattywompus as hell.

Maybe this is normal? Is the answer in the adjustment screws - possible that one spring is tighter than the other? Don't worry about it?

As I said, they stop really well. No complaints there but I'd assume the pull would be more equal.

Thanks for your help.
I don't recall if they're screws or bolts, but there's a little adjuster 'screw' below the spring holder on the body of the caliper itself that needs to be turned to balance things. In your case, tighten the right screw/bolt till the pads hit the rim at the same time. (basically, the spring in the right caliper isn't 'as strong' as the one in the left and needs a little more oomph.)

Oh, and make sure you toe em in, or yer gonna get squealing. Ask me how I know!

M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.