Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Paul's Neo retro or touring. I like Neo retro front and rear, but some have clearance issues with the rear and go with the touring. I'd personally steer clear of the frogleggs. Yeah they smack of euro pro but are tough to set up. Cold setting toe in and my bikes just don't play out so good.....Paul's are so easy to set up and are very powerful with good modulation. Plus Paul is a cool guy.

· Registered
125 Posts
velocb said:
Paul's Neo retro or touring. I like Neo retro front and rear, but some have clearance issues with the rear and go with the touring. I'd personally steer clear of the frogleggs. Yeah they smack of euro pro but are tough to set up. Cold setting toe in and my bikes just don't play out so good.....Paul's are so easy to set up and are very powerful with good modulation. Plus Paul is a cool guy.
I try every kind of brakes on my Empella (also pads and settings) trying to reduce the fork shatter and noise under braking and improve on the braking too (I'm 215/6.2")

you name it Shimano XTR's, Avid tri alight. avid for cross, tecktro's mini's, mafac's, pretty MRP. Empella Froglegs, etc. plus fork/brake boosters, I even made my own chop-chop XT V-brakes and I least with this ones I gain some extra braking power.

A few weeks back I install a set of the paul touring brakes (the tall ones) took 10 minutes to set them up and now I can not only stop when I want to but I can also ride my bike with out sounding like a siren on a fire truck.

in short don't even bother with anything else.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Hey. Thanks for the recommendation. I HATE my froglegs. I have the same problem with my Empella. Did you try the Tektro cr720's? I might give them a go. I don't want to spend a fortune on a set of brakes...

· Registered
125 Posts
Kram said:
Hey. Thanks for the recommendation. I HATE my froglegs.
They are for sure pretty but kind of useless, plus using plyers on brakes is just to last century, actually too LastLast century..
I have the same problem with my Empella. Did you try the Tektro cr720's?
I don't know the number the "Mini V-brakes" are the ones I try recommended by a few friends, they work better than most but still made noise, horrible noises
I might give them a go. I don't want to spend a fortune on a set of brakes...
To me the pleasure of riding a Noiseless bicycle is invaluable, besides by the time you buy and sell ten sets of crappy brakes, you already when over the price and time wasted of the paul's.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
No. These are a lot like the paul neo retro's. Toe-in adjustment, spring tension adjustment, etc. For less than $50 for a pr I might give them a shot. Gotta be better than the Frogs.

· Registered
125 Posts
Kram said:
No. These are a lot like the paul neo retro's. Toe-in adjustment, spring tension adjustment, etc. For less than $50 for a pr I might give them a shot. Gotta be better than the Frogs.
Oh the super mega wide ones, Oh yeah i try those too but even on my size 60 frame the rear ones keep getting in the way..

Actually I think the skinny tall ones work better, at least on my Empella they were quieter.

· Registered
232 Posts
I managed to trade a set of Deore V-Brakes (off a mountain bike I upgraded to disc) for a set of 1996 XT Canti's a few years back and they have been squeal and chatter free with WTB razor blade pads. I've owned Avid Shorty 4's and 6's in the past on two different bikes (including my current Ritchey) and they did nothing but squeal

Has anyone tried the newer Shimano BR 550's?

· Registered
5,270 Posts
sidsport said:
Any feedback on the Cane Creeks? They're light, inexpensive, toe-in, cartridge pads. Plus they're local. Any reason to avoid 'em?
I am quite happy with my Cane Creeks FWIW.

Mine came with Kool-stop pads, but it was part of an entire bike that my LBS built up, so I don't know if that's standard.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
What happened to the Neo-Retro shaped Kore brakes? I though these were supposed to be all that for a fraction of the price. Did J&B botch the marketing/distribution, or did the brakes just not pan-out, performance wise.
I've got a set, and they work pretty well- they stop my bike reliably, they don't weigh a ton, and they're really easy to set up. I got 'em at ben's bikes in MKE-

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=377_387&products_id=2181

They always seem to be sold out...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.