Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think is a better straddle...linkwire, traditional style or pulley? I have a pair of avid 8's with the link wire setup, and was wondering if I would get better performance with the other 2.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I think straddle (wide) are the best for that style of brake. Salsa makes a great one that helps with leverage.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Picture C is the way to go by far, rollers just gunk up and if cable is set up correctly (even) then no need for the roller. Avids set up is O.K, I have this now but I much prefer a longer straddle not possible on preformed "Avid" style. Increases leverage, increases clearance between cable and tire/fork and is easier to replace (most shops carry heavy cable V's finding avid style pre made ones.)

More time consuming to set up, getting them even etc. But well worth the hassle. My last CX had Froglegs and their straddle was great - even had screws to keep cable in place a new one for me.

·
Registered
405 Posts
pherret said:
So your saying an 8 speed straddle is wider, not stronger and that the plate thickness of the straddle is the same:D
NO NO NOOOOOOOOOO. How dare you mention 8 speed on another thread what kind of an animal are you huh?

Being a neophiliac, its 10 speed all the way if you don't mind. Looking forward to cramming 12 paper thin sprockets onto my 900 gram wheelset anyday now. So what if I have to drop 40 lbs off my already borderline bulimic frame to avoid catastrophic failure of parts, its all worth it in the end right. Think how fast I could rocket up mountains if I wasnt too frail to climb aboard my 11lb steed. Anyhoo rant over. Dont think chains would work on cantis - except maybe 1/8" ??

·
Registered
107 Posts
pherret said:
What do you think is a better straddle...linkwire, traditional style or pulley? I have a pair of avid 8's with the link wire setup, and was wondering if I would get better performance with the other 2.

Thanks for any feedback.
Is the Atlantis shown in the picture yours? I'm looking for an Atlantis rider who can help me out with some questions I have. Please email me if it is. Thanks.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Lmfao!!!!!

dreww said:
The floor is yours my friend :)
agree, with dreww. straddle and if you use old school brakes, go TEAM LUDDITE! (read Frogglegg, Spooky,Mafac) set that straddle HIGH. Salsa Straddle is widest (strongest?kidding)
about 1" above bottom headset cup. This improves both leverage and mud clearance.
ahhh to be skinny.....my dreams of being a competitive cyclist ended between ages 13 and 14. Mid August 13 ya 5'10" 135 lbs, January 14 ya (6 month span) 6'3" 175 and on meds to help body keep up with rapid growth. I went from Pantani to Zabel in half a year. Over the next 6 months I was up to 6'4" 185 and by my 15th Birthday I was 190. My cycling mentor was very kind in explaining to me..."for you...it's over". We had no track where I grew up. Now I race cx as I love bikes and it's the one form that produces a similar agony to rowing.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
ANYTHING is better than a linkwire setup...

...which is simply a copy of the old Shimano one-size-fits-all-we-know-best offering, which affords virtually no flexibility. Avid Tri-Dangles are great, if you can find them; Tektro makes a slightly larger hanger (39mm wide vs 33mm (Avid)) which comes with the straddle wire for about $5 (that's what I used to pay at REI...)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
straddle

Sorry budweiser, just a pic of harris cycles website. Not my bike. So the general opinion is link wire blows and the traditional straddle using a seperate yoke and tranverse cable is better since you can adjust your mechanical advantage more as depicted in picture 3.

·
Registered
405 Posts
atpjunkie said:
ahhh to be skinny.....
Can be a curse at times, 10 years ago I got heavily into Kempo karate (cant do anything half assed, either full bore or not at all for me) with success in lightweight class attempted to gain weight to enter light/middle. With advise from my Coach I began consuming 7500 calories a day, including 2 huge shakes comprising of full fat milk and ice cream, honey bananas etc one right before bed (we all know sleeping on full stomach is sure fire way to pile on pounds) tons of pasta cut out cardio including riding except for workouts, well 3 months of this and I gained a whopping 4 pounds!!! whhoo hoo.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My heart is bleading for you dreww. Actually no, you make me sick(jk). For me its the opposite. I am naturally big and like atp will never be a competitive cyclist. I took tang soo do for a few years and will say size does matter to a certain extent. However I hope in 6 months to a year to shed 50lbs.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
it's a conspiracy

you ever notice in sports where it is advantageous to be big, all combat, (boxing, wrestling, judo etc...), rowing, power lifting etc... the sport is broken into weight based divisions but wheras the converse (advantage to be small) cycling, etc... it's a one size fits all. I'm telling you it's a conspiracy of 'little people' I want CLYDESDALE CX with age groups !

·
Registered
400 Posts
atpjunkie said:
you ever notice in sports where it is advantageous to be big, all combat, (boxing, wrestling, judo etc...), rowing, power lifting etc... the sport is broken into weight based divisions but wheras the converse (advantage to be small) cycling, etc... it's a one size fits all. I'm telling you it's a conspiracy of 'little people' I want CLYDESDALE CX with age groups !
Ever tried racing track, you might do well in the Keirin. Thought San Diego had a pretty strong track program. Also, some of the guys up here in Norcal, were racing track in preparation for cross. However, I think the majority of the guys I race against, do MTB or road racing.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
dlbcx said:
Ever tried racing track, you might do well in the Keirin. Thought San Diego had a pretty strong track program.

yes, and I live 3 blocks from SD Velodrome. Coach there iss Eddie B. (of LA Olympics Fame) now of SD fire Infamy (his house burned down). Am currently searching for a Pista bike to dip my toe in Velo water. tried a couple years ago but need to get some coaching (they have classes in the Spring / Summer Mon Night) MShaw (fellow poster) and pal is talking me into it as well.

·
Registered
400 Posts
atpjunkie said:
dlbcx said:
Ever tried racing track, you might do well in the Keirin. Thought San Diego had a pretty strong track program.

yes, and I live 3 blocks from SD Velodrome. Coach there iss Eddie B. (of LA Olympics Fame) now of SD fire Infamy (his house burned down). Am currently searching for a Pista bike to dip my toe in Velo water. tried a couple years ago but need to get some coaching (they have classes in the Spring / Summer Mon Night) MShaw (fellow poster) and pal is talking me into it as well.
Actually, I did took some track classes; it was fun but you had better learn not to coast. It will scare the heck of you if you don't go down first. Also, having no brakes was an experience. Realized that slow twitch little guys, like me, don't stand a chance against the fast twitch guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.