Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moderators: Feel free to move this into CX if appropriate.

Just Riding Along: Forget Mechanical Doping: The Tech Story of the 2016 Cyclocross Worlds Is Hiding in Plain Sight

Interesting blog post about use of cantis vs disc brakes on the CX world tour scene. CX is where disc brakes should especially shine - wet sloppy courses, steep high-speed descents, late braking, need for precise modulation for traction control and brake-steering. Yet a bunch of top champions are racing on carbon rims and cantilever brakes.

Draw your on conclusions about the "need" for discs on the road.

I know the horse is dead, but it could use another flog or two. :D

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
the horse called, he's dead. like really, really....really dead.

but since I have your attention, what chain lube is best?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
the horse called, he's dead. like really, really....really dead.

but since I have your attention, what chain lube is best?
Wrong, we need to revisit carbon vs steal frames - I don't think a conclusion was really reached on the topic

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Wrong, we need to revisit carbon vs steal frames - I don't think a conclusion was really reached on the topic
steal is not real because titanium is better!!!!!!!!!

I'm kinda busy and don't have time to take a brake to discuss how much better disk breaks are then canti on any bike.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Don't hand me you crud about your new fangled carbon doo hickiii frame. Steal is real and will forever steel your thunder on the road.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Ain't nothing better than Bamboo so don't waste our time (unless it's bamboo with disc brakes).

da bike hs no disks..........

Visit Calfree in Watsonville and ask them to show you their Lefty wood frame bike. They would not let me take it on a run down Mailboxes, but it looked totally viable as a bike

So, I agee.........wood it good.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Ain't nothing better than Bamboo so don't waste our time (unless it's bamboo with disc brakes).

you've bought one? You've been bamboozled!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
As far as Cantis vs disc or Carbon vs Titanium, etc why does there have to be a winner and why believe in some authority that declares it such even if its sales or this blog. Each material and technology will have its costs and benefits. Each of us can decide on our own based on our budget , riding and our own subjective evaluation. For many of us caliper brakes or cantis are a great solution for what we'll be doing. Same thin with carbon vs metal no clear winner, just two materials that each works better in some situations vs others Personally I'm about to have to main road bikes, one carbon/caliper and another Titanium/disc. Saying one's a winner and one is a loser means one is going away. Better for the market place to have both continue and provide choice.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Soooooo, if we don't argue about which is better what the heck are we going to talk about on this forum? :)

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
you've bought one? You've been bamboozled!
I did a little riding on one in Buenos Aires. Those people who believe that stiffness doesn't matter climbing are in for a wake-up call. It's as close to a rubber bike as you'll likely ever ride.

To be fair, it was nothing like the one in the picture.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I'm on the now trashed caliper brakes on my road bike. I'm not saying disc brakes don't have their place, but never did I worry I'm risking m life due to my brake choice. We all adjust our riding based on speed , road and weather conditions.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Hafta go over to Politics Only and argue about Red versus Blue.
What does Halo have to do with politics?

You can just watch Red vs Blue on netflix

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Don't hand me you crud about your new fangled carbon doo hickiii frame. Steal is real and will forever steel your thunder on the road.
Does anybody here know how to spell steel? Just asking.
Shux, Mr. ziscwg spelled it right two\too\to different ways, he just put the words in the wrong context(probably on purpose).

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
I know it's cantis over discs
I know it's steel or TI over carbon

But, for the love of god could somebody tell me if Trek makes good bikes or not?

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
I know it's cantis over discs
I know it's steel or TI over carbon

But, for the love of god could somebody tell me if Trek makes good bikes or not?
Trek makes Lots of bikes, but I don't know if they're good bikes.

There is an old adage that goes something like "Quantity over quality", or something like that.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I was passed by a couple yesterday and one had a disc brake bike. You could hear the pads rubbing "squeak, squeak, squeak." I'd say, if you don't know how to maintain them, don't buy disc brakes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts