Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tryed to use Net Transport again this year (like I did last year) to capture the video streams of the Giro in real time but it is difficult to configure and not completely reliable besides it makes a .wpl file that I have not been able to covert or burn.

This year I purchased Replay A/V http://www.applian.com/replay-av/index.php and have successfully captured and burned every stage of the Giro. You don't have to burn it, you can capture and store on your hard drive if you want to watch it on your pc however I perfer to have it on DVD and watch on the big screen. It even has a way to "schedule" a capture session if you are away from your pc. This is the best 50 bucks I ever spent for software, works perfect. Capture at 9am each day while I'm at work, watch at 9pm with the dog and a beer.

· pass the hot sauce
197 Posts
Step Down said:
This year I purchased Replay A/V http://www.applian.com/replay-av/index.php and have successfully captured and burned every stage of the Giro. You don't have to burn it, you can capture and store on your hard drive if you want to watch it on your pc however I perfer to have it on DVD and watch on the big screen. It even has a way to "schedule" a capture session if you are away from your pc. This is the best 50 bucks I ever spent for software, works perfect. Capture at 9am each day while I'm at work, watch at 9pm with the dog and a beer.
Did you have to do anything special to configure the software to do the capture? Do you have to know the URL of the actual media stream (I can't seem to figure that out)? I guess I am interested in a short summary of what you needed to go through to get this to work...

Thanks in advance,

Mike

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the steps to capture the video stream

mquetel said:
Did you have to do anything special to configure the software to do the capture? Do you have to know the URL of the actual media stream (I can't seem to figure that out)? I guess I am interested in a short summary of what you needed to go through to get this to work...

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Mike,

All I did was

1. purchase/download Replay A/V
2. reboot
3. start the capture feature its the buttton in the extreme lower right of the application
4. a confirm says "video capture active" OK and it goes to your task tray
5. THAN open the OLN Cycling.tv player, log in, go to settings run the bandwith test
6. as soon as the live stream becomes availible (8:50) today click on it
7. now open the Replay A/V video capture appelet and you will see the url for the live stream.
8. click on capture now, title it if you want, pick Download Video (stay away from the audio selection on the left of the screen or you will end up with audio only)
9. a confirm pop up shows connecting than capturing.

That's it, can be done in about one minute after you have the Replay A/V set on your desktop. Two notes; you must start the Replay A/V capture feature making it active before signing on to Cycling.tv. Once Replay A/V is started it begins looking for url's. Also you may see several url's in the capture now window, the one at the top is the one for the stage your capturing. There is even a tip at the top of the capture window indicating the top url is the one you want to capture.

hope it works, me I got about 125K in the VA foothills ahead of me this morning so my Replay is using "schedule" capture. Me and the De Rosa Primato are out the door in mear minutes, before wifey awakes.

steppy

· pass the hot sauce
197 Posts
I emailed cycling.tv during the coverage to ask them about this. Here was the reply:
"For the live streaming we have to limit our broadcast streams because of the amount of viewers. The on demand highlights will be streamed at all levels because the audience will be more spread out."
This sucks for a couple of obvious reasons:
  • The on demand highlights are just that, highlights... missing plenty of racing action.
  • I assume they have to throttle because their infrastructure can't handle the subscriber base that they have built. Success in attracting subscribers should not mean that everyone gets lesser quality.
Anyway, I hate to rant about the service, becuase I really appreciate access to the content, but I have noticed a steady decline in video quality over the course of the season.

G

·
mquetel said:
I emailed cycling.tv during the coverage to ask them about this. Here was the reply:

This sucks for a couple of obvious reasons:
  • The on demand highlights are just that, highlights... missing plenty of racing action.
  • I assume they have to throttle because their infrastructure can't handle the subscriber base that they have built. Success in attracting subscribers should not mean that everyone gets lesser quality.
Anyway, I hate to rant about the service, becuase I really appreciate access to the content, but I have noticed a steady decline in video quality over the course of the season.
Yeah, after first they bluffed and made it sound like an internal error - but the truth is that they need more bandwidth. Sucks for those who paid 20 Euros and got 1/3 to 1/2 the bandwidth they were used to. Hopefully it's just growing pains and we can expect something better next year (access to archived live feeds would be awesome).

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Is there anyway for this to get started automatically? (ie, at home while I'm at work).

I'll have to try and figure it out maybe, and maybe dameware will let me start it from work (on my home machine) when it starts.

I want to see the mountain climbing!

Step Down said:
Mike,

All I did was

1. purchase/download Replay A/V
2. reboot
3. start the capture feature its the buttton in the extreme lower right of the application
4. a confirm says "video capture active" OK and it goes to your task tray
5. THAN open the OLN Cycling.tv player, log in, go to settings run the bandwith test
6. as soon as the live stream becomes availible (8:50) today click on it
7. now open the Replay A/V video capture appelet and you will see the url for the live stream.
8. click on capture now, title it if you want, pick Download Video (stay away from the audio selection on the left of the screen or you will end up with audio only)
9. a confirm pop up shows connecting than capturing.

That's it, can be done in about one minute after you have the Replay A/V set on your desktop. Two notes; you must start the Replay A/V capture feature making it active before signing on to Cycling.tv. Once Replay A/V is started it begins looking for url's. Also you may see several url's in the capture now window, the one at the top is the one for the stage your capturing. There is even a tip at the top of the capture window indicating the top url is the one you want to capture.

hope it works, me I got about 125K in the VA foothills ahead of me this morning so my Replay is using "schedule" capture. Me and the De Rosa Primato are out the door in mear minutes, before wifey awakes.

steppy

· Registered
253 Posts
I stopped watching the first live broadcast and started watching the reply live broadcast because all I was getting was picture images that would periodically change and the audio. I had comcast check things out and everything was running fine it was just the bandwidth issue from cycling.tv not being able to handle the demand. It does suck. Also, I wish they would just do a complete replay of the stage on the on demand even if that meant breaking it down to 4 to 6 parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.