Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
No Crybabies
Joined
·
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to mount some external weatherproof speakers and use an mp3 player to blast music behind me while I ride the FC508 (sorry, partial NNC content).

I'd like this system to be independent of the factory system. All I need is the mp3 player, an amp, wire, and speakers, right? Any way to do that without a standard head unit, since the mp3 player can control everything? I don't care about a tuner or cd player. Thanks.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Fixed said:
I want to mount some external weatherproof speakers and use an mp3 player to blast music behind me while I ride the FC508 (sorry, partial NNC content).

I'd like this system to be independent of the factory system. All I need is the mp3 player, an amp, wire, and speakers, right? Any way to do that without a standard head unit, since the mp3 player can control everything? I don't care about a tuner or cd player. Thanks.
yup...I have such a setup in my burley--where you gonna put the 12v battery though? And get a deep cycle battery that can handle the load and the discharge. Also note the whole setup will be heavy.

My system.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=142529

//note...the pix show the original 12v motorcycle batt I had installed. I only got about an hour burn from it so I had to upgrade to a deep cycle marine battery. I can get 4 hours + now at full volume.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
2cflyr said:
it might work if your amp has speaker level inputs. line level (RCA's) probably won't work.
you can get adapters if you mean the inputs from the MP3 to the amp. That's what I have here

<img src=http://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=136034&stc=1&d=1218640938>
 

·
No Crybabies
Joined
·
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
car

Bocephus Jones II said:
yup...I have such a setup in my burley--where you gonna put the 12v battery though? And get a deep cycle battery that can handle the load and the discharge. Also note the whole setup will be heavy.

My system.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=142529

//note...the pix show the original 12v motorcycle batt I had installed. I only got about an hour burn from it so I had to upgrade to a deep cycle marine battery. I can get 4 hours + now at full volume.
Sorry, this will go on my Toyota van, which will be following me.
 

·
No Crybabies
Joined
·
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tempting

Bocephus Jones II said:
you can get adapters if you mean the inputs from the MP3 to the amp. That's what I have here

My, that is tempting, but I don't think I want to haul that thing 508 miles up and down 35,000' of hills on a fixed gear. ;-)
 

·
Mehpic
Joined
·
8,162 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
you can get adapters if you mean the inputs from the MP3 to the amp. That's what I have here

<img src=http://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=136034&stc=1&d=1218640938>
nicely done. didnt know about those adapters.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Fixed said:
My, that is tempting, but I don't think I want to haul that thing 508 miles up and down 35,000' of hills on a fixed gear. ;-)
I don't blame you--it weighs about the same as if you were hauling a kid. :D
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
2cflyr said:
nicely done. didnt know about those adapters.
yeah...basically RCA to mini...got mine at Radio Shack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,083 Posts
Speakers here (really any boat wake tower speakers should work pretty well... shouldn't be hard to rig 'em to a yakima rack... these are just an example): http://www.shopbargainworks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BOSMRWT69

Then speaker wire from speaks to amp.

Amp wiring kit for power from battery and ground to chassis (sand down the ground mount point to bare metal for best results).

Then a headphone-to-rca converter into the amp's line-in. You'll need to adjust the gain on the amp to the ipod's volume to tune it, but that shouldn't be too hard.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
shawndoggy said:
Speakers here (really any boat wake tower speakers should work pretty well... shouldn't be hard to rig 'em to a yakima rack... these are just an example): http://www.shopbargainworks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BOSMRWT69

Then speaker wire from speaks to amp.

Amp wiring kit for power from battery and ground to chassis (sand down the ground mount point to bare metal for best results).

Then a headphone-to-rca converter into the amp's line-in. You'll need to adjust the gain on the amp to the ipod's volume to tune it, but that shouldn't be too hard.
I turn the gain all the way up and then adjust volume using the MP3.
 

·
No Crybabies
Joined
·
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sounds good

shawndoggy said:
Speakers here (really any boat wake tower speakers should work pretty well... shouldn't be hard to rig 'em to a yakima rack... these are just an example): http://www.shopbargainworks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BOSMRWT69

Then speaker wire from speaks to amp.

Amp wiring kit for power from battery and ground to chassis (sand down the ground mount point to bare metal for best results).

Then a headphone-to-rca converter into the amp's line-in. You'll need to adjust the gain on the amp to the ipod's volume to tune it, but that shouldn't be too hard.
I looked at the ski boat marine speakers, but I found home stereo outdoor speakers for less than half the cost, and a lot more variety. Assuming the impedence will work, I think I could save a bunch.

Sounds like I just need speakers, wire, amp, and converter. One stop shopping at Crutchfield...

Thanks all.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Fixed said:
I looked at the ski boat marine speakers, but I found home stereo outdoor speakers for less than half the cost, and a lot more variety. Assuming the impedence will work, I think I could save a bunch.

Sounds like I just need speakers, wire, amp, and converter. One stop shopping at Crutchfield...

Thanks all.
I use 2 outdoor speakers and 2 car speakers...they work fine together.
 

·
No Crybabies
Joined
·
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gain

Bocephus Jones II said:
I turn the gain all the way up and then adjust volume using the MP3.
I have noticed that my mp3 player provides a very weak signal to my car stereo, which has a factory mp3 input. I have to crank both the mp3 player and the car stereo all the way up.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Fixed said:
I have noticed that my mp3 player provides a very weak signal to my car stereo, which has a factory mp3 input. I have to crank both the mp3 player and the car stereo all the way up.
Pretty much. Just crank it up so there's no distortion. I can usually run mine wide open--with 4 speakers and a 2. You can also play with your MP3's equalizer settings to increase the signal a bit if needed.300w amp it gets pretty darn loud, but remember that outside it take a lot more volume to hear than in your garage. What sounds too loud in your garage isn't all that loud outside in open air.
 

·
No Crybabies
Joined
·
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
loud

Bocephus Jones II said:
Pretty much. Just crank it up so there's no distortion. I can usually run mine wide open--with 4 speakers and a 2. You can also play with your MP3's equalizer settings to increase the signal a bit if needed.300w amp it gets pretty darn loud, but remember that outside it take a lot more volume to hear than in your garage. What sounds too loud in your garage isn't all that loud outside in open air.
Yes, I want LOUD! The idea is to blast motivating music right behind me so that at 2 a.m. on a 20 mile climb the adrenaline will kick in and make me forget what a stupid thing I'm doing.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Fixed said:
Yes, I want LOUD! The idea is to blast motivating music right behind me so that at 2 a.m. on a 20 mile climb the adrenaline will kick in and make me forget what a stupid thing I'm doing.
Well a setup like mine will get loud enough (2 of my speakers face front and the other 2 face back for 360 degree sound)--especially at night when you're in the middle of nowhere. The tradeoff is you have to haul that weight up a hill. Probably not a lot worse than the load you'd carry for loaded touring though.

If the sky's the limit get something like this for an amp, hook it up to 4 high efficiency car speakers in cabinets and a subwoofer in a cabinet--throw it all in the Burley with a 12v marine battery (or 2 if you really want to run it for a long time) and you're set. Nice thing about the trailer is that you can pull the raincover over it if the weather turns bad--better than ruining a bunch of expensive audio because it rains.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107PA11005/Polk-Audio-PA1100-5.html?search=5+channel+car+amp
 

·
No Crybabies
Joined
·
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
weight?

Bocephus Jones II said:
Well a setup like mine will get loud enough (2 of my speakers face front and the other 2 face back for 360 degree sound)--especially at night when you're in the middle of nowhere. The tradeoff is you have to haul that weight up a hill. Probably not a lot worse than the load you'd carry for loaded touring though.

If the sky's the limit get something like this for an amp, hook it up to 4 high efficiency car speakers in cabinets and a subwoofer in a cabinet--throw it all in the Burley with a 12v marine battery (or 2 if you really want to run it for a long time) and you're set. Nice thing about the trailer is that you can pull the raincover over it if the weather turns bad--better than ruining a bunch of expensive audio because it rains.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107PA11005/Polk-Audio-PA1100-5.html?search=5+channel+car+amp
Weight is not a concern, as this is going on my van.

Your project is interesting, though. That would be fun to pull through the park with my boys riding their bikes, too. Might get cited for noise violations.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Fixed said:
Weight is not a concern, as this is going on my van.

Your project is interesting, though. That would be fun to pull through the park with my boys riding their bikes, too. Might get cited for noise violations.
That is a possibility. One of our higher powered music machines did receive a ticket for violating the noise ordinance once. That's one reason (besides lack of budget) that I made mine not quite a loud. Mine is fine for small groups of riders, but if you want a portable disco you need a bit more oomph from the amp and some DJ type speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,083 Posts
Fixed said:
Yes, I want LOUD! The idea is to blast motivating music right behind me so that at 2 a.m. on a 20 mile climb the adrenaline will kick in and make me forget what a stupid thing I'm doing.
Most home speakers are 8ohm impedance, car/marine audio is generally 4ohm. I'm no electrical engineer, but it's my understanding that my hooking an 8ohm speaker to a 4ohm amp, the amp will only put out half of its rated power.

If you want loud, I'd go with ski boat speaks... sheesh man, that's EXACTLY what they're built for (rocking out a skier being towed behind a boat).
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top