Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike was on a trunk mounted rack yesterday when my wife back the car into a tree. Luckily...the straps on the rack gave way and the bike was pinned against the tree only touching the rear QR lever. It was wedged pretty tight but I am very lucky. No damage at all. Nothing but a mildly scratched toptube. Six inches to the left or right or further back would have cracked the frame. OK...I flipped out a little at my wife's carelessness but I got over it. Of course, she's stilled POed that I got POed...something about loving an inanimate object like a child..??? whatever...the important thing is that my baby is OK.

My question...since the bike was on the rack that was on the car, if the frame was destroyed, would it be an auto claim?? Just curious. I doubt that I would make a claim anyway since "only" a seat stay would have been crushed and the cost to fix it would have been less than my $500 deductible.

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Answered my own question

PaulCL said:
My bike was on a trunk mounted rack yesterday when my wife back the car into a tree. Luckily...the straps on the rack gave way and the bike was pinned against the tree only touching the rear QR lever. It was wedged pretty tight but I am very lucky. No damage at all. Nothing but a mildly scratched toptube. Six inches to the left or right or further back would have cracked the frame. OK...I flipped out a little at my wife's carelessness but I got over it. Of course, she's stilled POed that I got POed...something about loving an inanimate object like a child..??? whatever...the important thing is that my baby is OK.

My question...since the bike was on the rack that was on the car, if the frame was destroyed, would it be an auto claim?? Just curious. I doubt that I would make a claim anyway since "only" a seat stay would have been crushed and the cost to fix it would have been less than my $500 deductible.
It comes under homeowners insurance. I called an insurance agent client of mine.

·
Spin Diesel
257 Posts
I have a Stupid Question

You said tree but you didn't say where, I'm assuming at your home. I ask cos I've always wondered myself if something were to happen to my bike on the rack say on the freeway or something

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure

Kerry Irons said:
I'd double check that if I were you. My understanding has always been that if there's a car involved, it's your car insurance, not your homeowners.
The insurance agent client also wrote my homeowners and car insurance. I explained that it happened away from home. That's what he said. Luckily I don't need it - but he said check it out, get an estimate and let me know. Hmmmm...maybe its time to get a new frame????

Admittedly, I was lucky. The pressure on the bike was only on the QR and the toptube against the rack strap. I did kind of go ballistic on my wife.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
PaulCL said:
I did kind of go ballistic on my wife.
Hell, I'd be serving divorce papers right now if I were you!

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Spoke Wrench said:
I'm pretty sure that a divorce would cost more than a new bike.
Money has nothing to do with it... it's the principle of the matter!

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Better than that

vonteity said:
Money has nothing to do with it... it's the principle of the matter!
...as soon as we got home, I went to the mailbox. In the mail, was a check for $2000 that was made out to my wife for some legal work she had done "on the side". I held it up to her and said "this was almost mine, Miss Mario Andretti". By that point she was ready for a laugh. Then thinking for a while, she said something to the affect that no bike frame was worth $2000. Either way it woulda been mine!!!

·
Spin Diesel
257 Posts
PaulCL said:
...as soon as we got home, I went to the mailbox. In the mail, was a check for $2000 that was made out to my wife for some legal work she had done "on the side". I held it up to her and said "this was almost mine, Miss Mario Andretti". By that point she was ready for a laugh. Then thinking for a while, she said something to the affect that no bike frame was worth $2000. Either way it woulda been mine!!!
it still can be, do you still remember where that tree is? hell any tree will do

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
PaulCL said:
The insurance agent client also wrote my homeowners and car insurance. I explained that it happened away from home. That's what he said. Luckily I don't need it - but he said check it out, get an estimate and let me know. Hmmmm...maybe its time to get a new frame????

Admittedly, I was lucky. The pressure on the bike was only on the QR and the toptube against the rack strap. I did kind of go ballistic on my wife.
yeah but wouldnt your insurance premium go up if you filed a claim? plus, youre out the deductible. these days, if you look at an insurance agent crosseyed, youre premium will double.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Here’s my opinion on bike racks
They are generally a PITA for everyone on the road.
Specifically they conceal the license plate of the vehicle. No one seems to put the plate on the carrier so that it is visible. Yes I’m upset about this. Years ago a guy cut me off forcing me into the curb damaging my rim and just went on his merry way. I couldn’t get a license number because the bike rack concealed his license plate. I firmly believe all people with bike racks that hide the plate should be stopped by the police and given as much of a fine as the law allows

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here’s my opinion on bike racks
They are generally a PITA for everyone on the road.
Specifically they conceal the license plate of the vehicle. No one seems to put the plate on the carrier so that it is visible. Yes I’m upset about this. Years ago a guy cut me off forcing me into the curb damaging my rim and just went on his merry way. I couldn’t get a license number because the bike rack concealed his license plate. I firmly believe all people with bike racks that hide the plate should be stopped by the police and given as much of a fine as the law allows
So, uhhh, driver intent was to mount a bike rack and run a car into a curb?

What this seems like is that motor vehicle driving-skills held in thou possession, ye selected-against to become Marlon Brando's understudy in 'The Wild One', they suck royal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, uhhh, driver intent was to mount a bike rack and run a car into a curb?
No idea what the hell you’re talking about
It wasn’t my fault
Mount a bike rack then display your plate
What this seems like is that motor vehicle driving-skills held in thou possession, ye selected-against to become Marlon Brando's understudy in 'The Wild One', they suck royal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Kudos on the content. Way to:

A) Shoulder personal-struggles upon an Internet Thread created two decades ago

B) Choose to ignore the basic context of an internet thread, IE: this...

C) Somehow, allow insinuation the Topic has even a thread of validity to be extended to such a point.

For Example:

This idiot's klunker was insured for 8500.00

The Bike on the back is said to have a replacement-value of 4000.00 However -

In the trunk was Erica Morini's stolen Stradivarius Violin (continually on FBI Top Ten List) valued at well over 1M today.

Also in the Trunk, Rembrandt Paintings stolen in Boston months prior to the Violin Theft in NYC.

More, one-dozen Fabergé Eggs and one Fabergé Egg Carton.

All items were completely destroyed after the car was backed into a Tree.

Between you and me Friend, that 2000.00 check this jackbag (who we must assume to have had joint-titled accounts, opening other peoples mail see...) will barely cover the operation of this particular vehicle that day.

On the other hand, the motor vehicle insurance only covers the operation of the motor vehicle and, homeowner's only covers property, dwelling and possessions entered and valued at the time of underwriting.

If all these hypotheticals were required to have been itemized and then have a policy adjustment, this Thread would not exist.

Much like a well traveled salesperson keeping sizeable inventory at their Condo in Long Island... or Wisconsin.

It's subjective.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,479 Posts
Holy thread dredge, Batman!!!!
So, after resurrecting a thread which nobody has posted to in 16 years, you decide to use it to post a non-sequitur response about some incident which happened to you years ago? Well, at least you got a chance to blow off some steam, I guess.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you don’t understand too bad
Who cares how old the thread is. Doesn’t matter.
There are too many idiots with bike racks mounted with concealed license plates
Maybe I’ll get one and start speeding through construction sites and cause mayhem all over the road.
People like you miss the point entirely
Show your plate
That’s the point
Get it???

1 - 20 of 53 Posts