Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so 2 weeks ago I as riding through a crosswalk and a diver on the cell phone did not stop at a red light and hit me while I went through the intersection. it wasn't bad at all besides the bike taking some damage. it obviously needed two new wheels and tires but the frame and fork looked fine. the driver was apologetic and offered to fix it, so I finally take it in this weekend and the frame is bent, the bike is finished. the bike was a novara(unsure of the model) but it was definately at least an 8 year old bike. so my question is what is a fair comparable bike now to get re driver to replace it with.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If an insurer is paying, you will only get depreciated value. On a bike that is 8 years old, and wasn't too expensive initially, you are not likely to get too much. That being said, if you are reasonable, you might be able to negotiate with the driver.

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Well since I am kinda in this industry,, auto collision repair, and I know that when it comes to property damage involving auto insurance, it doesn't matter what was damaged. Bike, car, fence, whatever, the Ins. Co. is responsible to replace your bike with like, kind, and quality. In other words, depreciation, percieved value means little. Do yourself a favor and do some homework. Check craigs list, paper, ebay, whatever and find 5 or 6 reasonable replacements for what you have, document them and give them to the ins. adjuster. They have to replace your bike with something of equal value. Like, Kind, and Quality. LKQ. If they say, they are going to give you $100 bucks, they need to show that you can replace your damaged bike for a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My guess is this guy will not want it on his insurance so they will probably not be involved esp if he has a 500-1k deductable. None the less stick with the LKQ advice above and let the driver know you are not trying to screw him over but you are being reasonable.

G/L

Rob

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Deductible doesn't have any bearing unless the guy is repairing damage to his vehicle. he doesn't have to pay deductible on repairing/replacing the claiments (you) property. But your right, he may not make a claim if he can avoid it. I mean, if your bike is worth less than a grand, he probably would reduce the risk of his rates increasing and just cover out of pocket. I would.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
If the guy isn't being a tool and is willing to work with you, just honestly come up with what it's going to cost you to get a similar bike on the road and say, that much and we're done.

Especially as some time has gone by, it might be rougher to try to get the insurance company involved.

·
cantankerous old man
121 Posts
Argentius said:
If the guy isn't being a tool and is willing to work with you, just honestly come up with what it's going to cost you to get a similar bike on the road and say, that much and we're done.
I did that and the guy never returned my calls. I sent him a note with the receipts in the mail and his daughter called me and advised me that my story and a copy of the police report didn't align with her father's understanding understanding of the events (I was going straight and he turned left into me).

I gave them 24 hours to make a decision, then I opted to go through his insurance company who cut me check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.