Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Conspiracy theory or not, I believe the automobile is one of the worst "inventions" ever.

How many people have been "accidentally" killed due to vehicle accidents? How many have died as a result of car-culture lifestyle (driving everywhere, getting fat, etc...)? What has been the cost in terms of foreign policy due to energy dependence? Etc...etc.. etc...

·
Registered
7 Posts
filtersweep said:
Conspiracy theory or not, I believe the automobile is one of the worst "inventions" ever.

How many people have been "accidentally" killed due to vehicle accidents? How many have died as a result of car-culture lifestyle (driving everywhere, getting fat, etc...)? What has been the cost in terms of foreign policy due to energy dependence? Etc...etc.. etc...

You're totally right. We should go back to riding horse and using wagons. No one I've know has ever been hurt on one of them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
filtersweep said:

Seriously?

The truth is the speed of your transportation defines the size of your world. When I was a very young boy my world was as large as I could walk to..a few square blocks. Then I got my first bicycle and my world became as large as I could ride to...my home town. Then I got my first car, and my world became as large as I could drive to...my home state plus a bit. Then I got my pilots license and my world is half the country wide. I would not want my world to be nearly small as you apparently think it should be. Not by a long shot.

Without that auto culture...the roads we ride our bikes on wouldn't exist. How much did you pay in road tax on your bicycle last year? Me neither....my auto's paid for it.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
ColoRoadie said:
Without that auto culture...the roads we ride our bikes on wouldn't exist. How much did you pay in road tax on your bicycle last year? Me neither....my auto's paid for it.
well except the roads preceded the automobile.
edit:
once the weight is off the roads, they are much cheaper to build and last much longer as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
den bakker said:
well except the roads preceded the automobile.
edit:
once the weight is off the roads, they are much cheaper to build and last much longer as well.
Good luck riding your road bike down a rutted dirt road, or better yet cobble stone.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
apexdown said:
Good luck riding your road bike down a rutted dirt road, or better yet cobble stone.
den bakker is correct in that the idea of non-dirt roads preceded the automobile. As I understand it most were, in fact, originally paved for bicycle use.

·
Registered
950 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
ColoRoadie said:
Seriously?

The truth is the speed of your transportation defines the size of your world. When I was a very young boy my world was as large as I could walk to..a few square blocks. Then I got my first bicycle and my world became as large as I could ride to...my home town. Then I got my first car, and my world became as large as I could drive to...my home state plus a bit. Then I got my pilots license and my world is half the country wide. I would not want my world to be nearly small as you apparently think it should be. Not by a long shot.

I believe both you and apextown misunderstand filtersweep's point. There certainly are applications in which cars are quite useful. There are as many, however, for which cars are complete overkill (...just consider that 40% of car trips taken in the US are two miles or less). It is those unnecessary ones that, if eliminated or curbed, would increase the quality of life in many places.
The road tax argument is flawed in that the federal and state DOTs receive most of their funding from income taxes. Gasoline taxes, toll roads and vehicle registration and taxes could not pay but for a small percentage of road construction.

·
pedalpedalpedal
896 Posts
Minjin said:
Gotta love conspiracy theories.
Meh. Conspiring to screw the public and bring in millions isn't too hard a task if you already have money and people in office you can "influence". Politicians are businessmen and lawyers, and they usually help one another out rather than risk someone else taking their spots.

BTW, do some research on the stevia plant versus artificial sweeteners. There was a decade-long ban on using the plant commercially, just so large corporations could bring in billions by forcing their chemicals on the public. Thankfully, the ban ended recently.

·
Registered
64 Posts
filtersweep said:

I accept you opinion and respect it.. My belief is on the other side of the fence.. I think the Automobile along with the Airplane are the two most important inventions that evolved us thru the 20th century. The revenue and technology growth tied to these two industies is beyond comprehension sometimes.

but more to your point -- bath tubs kill too but I am glad we have them. Fast transport has also saved many lives both from accidents and from medical emergencies.. so yep I am glad we have our technology and the 4 wheeled motorized transport... and as a side bar... the glorious 50 and 60s hotrod era what the grandest of all decades to live thru.

have a great ride the next time you are out..:D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Since we use about 50% of the worlds oil, but only have 2% of it we are wishing we had some of those trains back.

You can't drill yourself out of that hole.

Watch the documentary called "Fuel" The film practically predicts the Gulf oil spill. One person interviewed said that is is easier to walk on the moon than drill in in that deep water environment.

Think about that when you dive to the beginning of your next bike ride.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Boeing bought up all the teleporter systems and patents so that they could keep America addicted to air travel.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
In the August Time Magazine there is article called "Shrinking the Middle East" by Michael Mandelbaum urging a gas tax increase to ween us off foreign oil and help renewable compete economically.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
when the automobile was invented, trains had a maximum speed of 60mph. when the US highway system was started in the 1930's, trains were going 100 mph routinely.

as much as i disdain the car, the rural to suburban transformation that occurred in the 1950's and 1960's focused on a single means of transportation, the car. using a bike was ot a concept in the minds of the planners and today trying to use that infrastructure is difficult at best. i dare anyone here to ride their bike on Georgia Ave from Silver Spring to Wheaton and back.

railroads actually did themselves in the 1960's. most of them were bleeding money faster than they could bring revenue in. to help stop the bleeding that they were getting from the trucking industry, they built modern warehousing districts complete with access to the US highways and as luck would have it, rail spurs to the buildings.

the tenets soon realized they didn't need the railroad - the trucks were faster, cheaper, and more reliable. this transfer of revenue coupled with the loss of manufacturing in the Northeast lead to the massive bankruptcies of the late 1960's.

the biggest problem i have with the car culture is the idea that improvement means adding a lane on the highway or setting up toll HOV lanes. they don't address the real issue. i can't begin to tell you how many cars i see on the road in the morning and on the way home that get on the highway near my house and get off by my office. we should be commuting together instead of driving ourselves to the office within several blocks of each other.

it's all about me and that's what it really comes down to.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
1 - 20 of 81 Posts