Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
E Plurbus Elvis
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the smaller number of bike commuters I saw today, I'd say this year's Car Free Commuter Day was a bust -- at least here in NoVa/DC-metro.

Anyone else notice an uptick in the number of bike commuters today?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm in DC as well, and I didn't see a single commuter on my ride in this morning (although I was really late getting out the door this morning, well past prime rush hour). On the other hand, yesterday the Met Branch Trail was as full with commuters as I've ever seen it.

For what it's worth, I was only aware it was Car-Free Day on the margins -- I certainly didn't see much by way of promotion or social awareness or whatnot -- and so never anticipated any response whatsoever (as opposed to, say, Bike to Work Day).

·
Registered
147 Posts
I saw that today (9/22) was "Car Free" Day only yesterday - after I had already planned to forgo the bike commute and do an early a.m. run to train for an upcoming race. Today, I took Metro in to work -- which requires a car ride from my husband to the station 2 miles from our house. Had I had some more advance notice - saw some promotion or something - I might have adjusted my training schedule a bit and ridden my bike in (which I did Monday and Tuesday and will likely do Thursday and Friday (but Friday may be another run day)).

Still, every day is a "Car Light" day in our house, as we're usually biking or taking the car to a Metro station during the week.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm also DC, and saw a pretty average, or maybe even below average, number of bikes on the W&OD this morning.

Oddly enough, at 6:45pm yesterday it seemed like the whole world was biking up the Custis trail in Rosslyn, a lot of them struggling - maybe everyone got a head start on observing the day.

I think Drawerfixer is also right about promotion - I had no idea until someone told me to go to the WABA website for something else. By contrast, I heard about Bike To Work Day this Spring in a couple of places... it's actually how I got started doing bike commuting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts