Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I need to rent a car in San Antonio for 1 day, 9am - 6/7pm (3/17/09 a Tuesday). Using www.kayak.com, prices start at $69. Is this a pretty normal price from airports or are there any tricks/tips so that I can get a better price? Is it better to purchase online beforehand or at the counter?

I'm not a AAA member or anything like that.

Oh and can you use a Visa debit card to rent cars or do I need an actual credit card?

Thanks

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
that seems a bit on the high side, but maybe it's spring break prices. SA's a big vacation destination.

you might hit enterprise's website directly and even call around to their off-airport locations, see if you find a guy who's willing to deal.

oh yeah I think they mostly take debit cards, with the restriction that they're going to "block" a big chunk of your cash up front.

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay the $69 price above is w/ all taxes and fee's, It's actually $52 + $17 in taxes and fees.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
ah WTH, it's typical big agency airport pricing. you only need one day, right?

if you can do the off-airport thing you might save a few bucks in fees but is the hassle worth it?

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I rented a car in SA last year at this time, and I think it was cheaper--$39, something like that. Might be because I reserved a compact, but there was none available. I protested when they gave me a huge, hulking Pontiac, and they may have discounted because of that.
. At least where I live, there's an extra tax or surcharge or something on rentals at the airport compared to the downtown locations. In Reno downtown is a $3 cab ride from the 'port, so it's worth doing that. Might not be for a short rental in SA.
Don't know about the debit card, but when I was a credit card holdout years ago, you could rent for cash if you let them know in advance. I'm sure they wouldn't do that now that plastic is universal, but debits might be acceptable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts