Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got hit by a car - sort of. Ok, it was may be the mildest way to get hit by a car. I commuted to work for the first time this year, and as I pulled up to a red light, a car pulled up behind me and wanted to make a right turn. I felt a kind of push on my butt, and at first I thought - "What the? Who's touching my butt?" It startled me more than anything, and almost knocked me off. I am not sure the driver knew what he did. Before I turned around, I could hear the thumping of the bass in the car, and I had second thoughts about doing anything. I turned around and gave the guy quick look and then rode on when the light changed. He made his turn, and nothing else happened. I figure it was his passenger side rear view mirror, and he probably didn't realize how close it was. I know some of you have had disasters with cars, but how about the near misses? Did it change your biking (so far I haven't changed anything).

·
Censored by *********
1,397 Posts
I was hit by a guy who drove right into me making an illegal U-turn. Because it was so obviously illegal, I didn't anticipate it. That was 18 years ago. Now, I look at every single car as potentially doing something that will require immediate action on my part. It's kept me accident free for over a decade.

Paul

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
After being hit by a car, it actually made me fear them less. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it could be. Of course I suffered nothing more than road rash and scratched up skewers and shifter levers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Living in a city I've been hit by numerous cars while on inline skates, skateboards and my bike. More often than not the drivers are so freaked out that they even came close to you that they hop out and virtually offer their car up to you. I was in one horrible accident-one I don't want to repeat here and that freaked me out for a while-I couldn't even ride on streets. But we push through our fears, and now when I'm not on my nice bike I'm very aggressive when in the streets and have no qualms about smacking a car to get it's attention, or using my cleat to leave a mark if I'm hit. As of yet I'v not encountered a driver who's hostile after hitting me...

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
I like it

mickey-mac said:
Is that Cory Feldman? (nm)
However, you should probably at a nice Cory-Story on your signature line. Something along the lines of: "You were the wanna-be bad-ass kid in 'Stand by Me'. You were the sexiest of the Corys. You dressed and acted more like Michael Jackson than any other white teen actor. Cory, is there anything you can't do?" ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
G-reg

I’ve never really been hit. I’ve been run off, and run into cars that encroached on the bike lane. I’ve broadsided a Vangon and a RX7, both were cross traffic that stopped too far forward and ended up in the bike lane of the street they were crossing. And myself being in that bike lane was unable to stop. I’ve also been run off the road by people using the bike lane as a turn lane. If I hadn’t hit them they would have never have known. I’ve found that if I’m being run off or somebody is too close a pound on the roof/glass/trunk will get their attention. Use with caution though, it’s easy to see how startling/pissing off an already comatose driver may not be the best idea. I’m in ND at the moment, not an overtly bike friendly area. I did some damage to the Vangon because I slammed it behind the drivers door and somebody saw the accident and called the police. If it had not been for some bystanders who vouched for me it was looking like I was going to be ticked. I’m much more aggressive and trusting of cars in CO where I grew up.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
in college i was riding down to meet a chick at a bar. a car made a right turn right into me. my hand went through the passengers side mirror and scraped the doors paint a bit.

two weeks later, while i was in a 3 hour class, "somebody" found my bike locked to a rack, propped it up best they could, and tacoed the rear wheel, seemingly by jumping on it. the campus cops took a report, but never did anything. the kicker? one of the guys who took the report said some guys were walking around asking if anyone had seen public safety around. "i didnt really think anything about. i wasnt on duty, so i didnt count. those are the guys who probably did it."
thanks columbo.

today on the maiden voyage of my first build, some ******* in pickup threww something at me and hit me. see my post about that...

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Cars are everywhere! :)

I had an accident in college where a guy pulled an illegal U-turn in front of me. I hit his rear driver side door and caved it in. I got stopped from going over the top by his plastic window shields. When I woke up the guy was standing over me asking if I was O.K.? He feaked out, the campus police showed up, and I got to ride to the hospital in the back of a cop car. I had a Trek 820 at the time. Not ONE single scratch on that bike. I wasn't hurt either. I guess my point is that it made me more aware of cars and their erratic paths they may take at any given point. I don't want anyone to get hurt. But for me, getting tagged was the best lesson in keeping my eyes open I ever learned.

·
Registered
129 Posts
car stories: the other side of the story

In 1995 I was riding along (I guess) PCH in the direction of Carlsbad or Leucadia (Southern California), southbound, late afternoon sun in my eyes, thoughts elsewhere. I ran through the red light at a crossing (more or less aware of it), saw the car coming from the left, assumed it to turn to its left, which it didn't, so I carried on and hit this Golf in the righthand side. Completely and utterly my fault. Bike and all I flew over the hood and landed on my back. Got taken to the nearest hospital, was checked (not very good, since a year later I discovered I must have broken a rib that time) and sent on my way (on my bike!).
Now the surprising thing was the cardriver was very, very goodnatured about this all; although there was a big dent in the side of his car and in the hood. He even took me to dinner the next day!
I thought I'd post this experience as it's very different from the usual '******* story' that is posted here.

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
I consider myself lucky

I have only been hurt twice being hit by cars. I have had a few other times where I have had minor contact with traffic but did not go down. I lost track of near misses.

The worst was long ago when I was a young stupid kid. I was out riding on a fairly busy road just after dusk without a helmet (only geeks wore helmets back then). I got tail ended. It was a down hill section of road where I was going 35 MPH in a 45 zone. The last thing I remember is flying up and over the car. It was a hit & run and they left me for dead along the side of the road. When I regained my wits I waved down a car. I remember the lady screaming because I was covered in blood from a head wound. I had to settle her down. Fortunately I only had a head wound and a concussion. Once they got my head stiched back together they sent me home from the ER. I remember half my face turned brown from the bruising, I looked a sight for about a month. My bike was a sight also. The rear of the rear wheel was in front of the front wheel. It looked more like modern art than a bicycle.

I remember being interogated by the police. They made me feel like I did something wrong by riding my bike on a busy road. I tried to explain that I was just trying to get home from work. They still felt I had no business being out on the road. I remember them making excusses for this unknown driver like, they probably didn't know they hit you. I tried to explain that I flew over the hood of the car, they had to see me. It was very clear, they had no intention of even looking for the car that hit me and left me for dead. They even refused to take a look at my bike. To them I was just some punk kid that got what he deserved.

To this day, I avoid riding at dusk and rairly will ride after dark. It took me another 15 years to learn to wear a helmet. I also learned not to expect justice from the police if your on a bike and involved in a traffic accident. Also, being in my teens and being in the early 70's, and being treated like a criminal instead of a victim by the police, I developed a healthy lack of trust for our men in blue. My total lack of respect for them has faded over the years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts