Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2006 Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon, I was wondering if it would make a difference in the ride if I changed the stock seatpost (Cannondale carbon wrapped) seatpost to a Thomson Masterpiece or get a carbon one for a smoother ride. My other question is about sizes to pick as I am not sure how long or what the Diameter is of my stock seatpost. It has a very little setback, if I do get one with a setback would I need to adjust anything else with my bike except for the saddle rails?
I love the ride of the bike, but maybe by upgrading the seatpost I can make it even better? I am not sure if it would make much of a difference that's why I am asking...

Thank you.

·
Still waiting......
1,321 Posts
You probably wouldn't notice any change by swapping seatposts.

Thomson's are great, well built and easy to adjust, but don't spend the $$$ hoping for a smoother ride.

If you want to experiment with "ride quality" I'd recommend some different tires. I'm a fan of Vittoria Evo Corsa.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
No. Seatposts (except ones with suspension) don't compress or flex enough to make any difference in ride quality. They are essentially rigid components.

What exactly is your complaint about the ride now? You used the word "smoother." If you think you're feeling the bumps too much, the biggest thing you can do to change it is use wider tires at lower pressure. If you're running 23mm tires at 110 psi now, you'd be amazed how smooth 25s at 95 would feel. Not slower, just smoother.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
If your cannondale seat post is as well as mine (aluminum from ~2003 or 04), it is a great seat post with excellent adjustment (two bolts). It is also pretty light, only about 20 grams heavier than the expensive carbon post I erroneously replaced it with. I wouldn't do it again, never. No difference in ride quality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow - Thanks for the response guys. I was under the same impression that changing the seatpost on my CAAD9 would make my ride a lil more smoother.
What pressure do I keep my 700x23 tires for a smoother and puncture free ride?

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Pressures

lukegash said:
What pressure do I keep my 700x23 tires for a smoother and puncture free ride?
There are LOTS of threads on tire pressure. The general recommendation is that if you have to run higher than 110 psi to prevent pinch flats then you need wider tires. Typical range is 90-110 psi for road tires. Pressure and puncture relationships are pretty hard to define; I've never seen any quality data that suggests they are tied together except for pinch flats.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you have some extra cash and want to experiment, you could try tubeless. In theory, there is less rolling resistance, there are no tubes to get pinch flats, and ride quality is supposed to be better, more comfortable and allows you to run lower pressures.

At $150 for the hutchinson fusion 2 tubeless tires set and stan's tubeless conversion kit, it isn't a cheap experiment. However, I've switched to tubeless on my carbon bike, and after 200 miles, I can tell you I feel that its smoother, and handles better. Am I faster? Objectively I don't know, but I can definitely feel the softer ride and corner more confidently. Plus, with stan's sealant, I am supposedly protected from punctures.

I'll also say that when I took the old tires (continental gp 4000 s) off of the bike that I converted to tubeless and put them on my aluminum ride (Giant OCR series), I also felt the ride get smoother over michelin Pro3 race tires (which I had on more because of color match than anything, stupid I know).

·
Banned
203 Posts
I

I've done both the carbon seat post and the wider tires and I agree that the wider tires made a much bigger difference. I got caught up in the carbon is better mantra and switched out my aluminum post. I did not notice any real ride difference. I also went from 23s to 25s on the tires. The 25s took some of edge off the rough stuff and I feel a little safter going through the pot hole infested streets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.