Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok yes pricing goes up every year on bikes. But does anyone think based on the economy today, that any one manufacture will come out with a fairly decent spec'd carbon bike in 2011? I think raleigh has something at $1300 now but not sure. If something is out there now tell me just wondering. I am sorta of interested in getting a carbon bike. For example a tiagra/sora set up and the carbon weave being pretty good. Or is this really a pipe dream for now? LOL. I think cannondale has the synaspe for $1700.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I would tend to say at the price point to go metallic for a better bike. But alot of people have been more than happy with there FC100 carbon bike from Neuvation, listed right now on their website for $1595 with a Rival groupset.

http://www.neuvationcycling.com/product144.html

Here is a review, granted Neuvation advertises on their site but you will have to read alot of comments before you find someone complaining about Neuvation products.

·
old school drop out
1,578 Posts
roscoe said:
just because it's carbon doesn't mean it's good though
I think that this is an important point. Just because a high-end carbon frame is light and strong does not mean that a low-end frame will be either.

I have a 2010 aluminum mountain bike frame which weighs more than my late 90's steel mountain bike frame. The aluminum frame rides fine and I like it. However, just because high-end aluminum frames are lighter than steel frames, does not mean that all aluminum frames are lighter (or better) than steel ones.

The same is true of carbon. Just because you can buy a carbon frame at a given price point does not mean that it will be lighter or ride better than another material at the same price point. Buy the frame that rides the best and that you can afford. Buying a carbon frame because it's made of carbon does not mean much.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
laffeaux said:
I think that this is an important point. Just because a high-end carbon frame is light and strong does not mean that a low-end frame will be either.

I have a 2010 aluminum mountain bike frame which weighs more than my late 90's steel mountain bike frame. The aluminum frame rides fine and I like it. However, just because high-end aluminum frames are lighter than steel frames, does not mean that all aluminum frames are lighter (or better) than steel ones.

The same is true of carbon. Just because you can buy a carbon frame at a given price point does not mean that it will be lighter or ride better than another material at the same price point. Buy the frame that rides the best and that you can afford. Buying a carbon frame because it's made of carbon does not mean much.
I think you make a very good pt. here. I am trying not to brake the bank.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I bought my first road bike two years ago, a Giant OCR C3, for $1200. It was on sale at the time. It came with a carbon frame and Shimmy 105 groupset. It was an ok bike, but I sold it after I bought my Look 585.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
balatoe said:
I bought my first road bike two years ago, a Giant OCR C3, for $1200. It was on sale at the time. It came with a carbon frame and Shimmy 105 groupset. It was an ok bike, but I sold it after I bought my Look 585.
May I ask what ok means to you, not finding fault. Since not a bike nerd, but have read more people mention this bike on this website. Did it ride good or just as good compared to the next highest price point for a bike in its class? Or was it a case of just decided that the look was the one you really wanted all along?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Weav said:
I would tend to say at the price point to go metallic for a better bike. But alot of people have been more than happy with there FC100 carbon bike from Neuvation, listed right now on their website for $1595 with a Rival groupset.

http://www.neuvationcycling.com/product144.html

Here is a review, granted Neuvation advertises on their site but you will have to read alot of comments before you find someone complaining about Neuvation products.
+1. I'd go with a metallic bike at this price too but consider that the difference between the quality of entry-level and high end carbon is greater than between a lower end aluminum frame and a higher end aluminum frame. Sounds like the OP is sold on carbon being the the best. It can be but not even close at the prices he's looking to spend. Nothing wrong with Sora/Tiagra, but if you're going for a carbon framed bike, you can do a lot better if you save up a little more. Like Roscoe said, just because it's carbon doesn't make it better. I love my carbon bike (Felt F1 Sprint), but I would take a metal frame anyday over a full carbon at the price you're looking at.

·
Good news everyone!
5,461 Posts
It sounds to me like some people are assuming that just because the price is low it's impossible for it to be any good. Tons of people in that Ebay carbon thread will probably say otherwise. While I generally agree that "you get what you pay for" I think we are paying a big markup for marginal increases in quality. You are paying a ton just for the name, and if you can get a no-name carbon frame with high end componentry IMO you are better off than a high end frame with low end components. But that's probably personal preference. Some of the bikes direct stuff is so cheap that you can almost just throw the frame in the trash and put the components on a higher end frame and still be ahead.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Jim311 said:
It sounds to me like some people are assuming that just because the price is low it's impossible for it to be any good. Tons of people in that Ebay carbon thread will probably say otherwise. While I generally agree that "you get what you pay for" I think we are paying a big markup for marginal increases in quality. You are paying a ton just for the name, and if you can get a no-name carbon frame with high end componentry IMO you are better off than a high end frame with low end components. But that's probably personal preference. Some of the bikes direct stuff is so cheap that you can almost just throw the frame in the trash and put the components on a higher end frame and still be ahead.

you make some good points,

but in the world of ebay, who's to say which no name frame is a quality piece and which one may be of poor construction

one $300 frame may be great, and the next $300 frame could fail in a spectacular way

I think you are paying for a name, but buying a name also buys a bit more piece of mind in knowing exactly what you're getting (and knowing there's a company you can find to back up the product if something goes wrong)

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,622 Posts
I highly recommend reading the ebay frame thread! You will find some excellent advice and guidance as to who the reputable sellers on ebay are. There are also some very good points made in this thread.

Low price is not always a good thing.

The bitterness of low quality stays around a lot longer then the happiness of low price!

In most cases if it looks to good to be true it is. This is specially true with bicycles and their components. Make sure when it says Shimano 105 what percentage of the components are 105 or any other brand they say. Usually it is only the derailleurs and shifters. The rest of it can be s*** if you are not careful.

Why everyone gives Giant such a hard time I have no idea. They make a great bike at a great price point and can be got on sale at the end of a season. They also make a huge percentage of the other big brands bike frames anyways so why not just go direct?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
roscoe said:
carbon will be on it's way down, people will make cheaper and cheaper carbon frames until they're available are more attractive prices

just because it's carbon doesn't mean it's good though
Agreed, I remember when the Chinese and Taiwanese started mass producing AL framesets to the point that they were throwaways. I see CF going in that direction. Like roscoe said, don't expect quality to be real high though.

·
What the what???
12,986 Posts
The difference between a $500 bike and a $1500 bike is a thousand bucks...the difference between a $1500 bike and a $3000 bike is about a hundred and fifty bucks... :). At a certain price point, the law of diminishing returns kicks in and you no longer get what you're paying for. JMHO.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
roscoe said:
you make some good points,

but in the world of ebay, who's to say which no name frame is a quality piece and which one may be of poor construction

one $300 frame may be great, and the next $300 frame could fail in a spectacular way

I think you are paying for a name, but buying a name also buys a bit more piece of mind in knowing exactly what you're getting (and knowing there's a company you can find to back up the product if something goes wrong)
This is good pt.. But I am not trying to say that I believe that carbon fiber is the best, I hope it did not come across that way. I will say I agree with the above statement, buying a name gives a bit more piece of mind and knowing theres a company you can find to back up the product. I would do think BD does a go job in their business plan, but just like BM store I believe that over the net it is harder to deal with any seller, since they can blow you off faster. This is no attack on any net seller, but something we should all think about. Do I think carbon fiber is the best don't know, don't claim to know. But like all have said if the bike fits and you like it get it. I have ridden a alloy in just alittle below what I would pay and compared to cf in around same price pt, the carbon took the sting out of rough pavement over alloy. Do I believe steel would be better at the same price pt. YES! But it's nice to be able to have another material to ride. As they say variety is the spice of life. Since there are at least two people who have carbon and like them but also like their metal frame too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.