Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a RavX carbon cage. I think it weighs in at 16g.

It feels flimsy as what.

Is this thing going to break on me?

Are they all this flimsy?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good Luck with the cages...

I've owned 4 of the Rav X cages. The set I have know are the replacements for the ones that broke. They have a good replacement warranty. I know of others that have had these cages break as well. Be careful with them and they may hold up. I use them as daily cages and they are lasting about 9 months. I have heard that the newer design is holding up better. Sorry for the downer of a post, I hope they work for you, and hopefully mine will last through the race season.

Ken

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:
I just bought a RavX carbon cage. I think it weighs in at 16g.

It feels flimsy as what.

Is this thing going to break on me?

Are they all this flimsy?
no comment on the RavX cages (never used them), but the Reynolds and Arundel cages are very sturdy. they weigh around 35g each.

·
Registered
356 Posts
even better....

probikekit.com had the tacx cages for $8 last week...got me some...don't know if they still are selling for that price or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tacx Tao @ probikekit

Probikekit.com is sold out right now. Price for one is listed at $10.32. Two for $8.93 each. Those are handsome cages and I plan to pick up a pair.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
My stainless Delta bottle cages work great, and have for quite a while.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Argentius said:
Tacx Tao. 37g. $15. Basically Unbreakable. Not even carbon.

I agree. I had carbon cages once and now I'm sticking with the alloy Tao cages. My bike is just about carbon everything but I draw the line at bottle cages and handlebars. ...and yes I had those once too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a 25gm black plastic cage from Mountain Equip Co-op for $3.75 for the past 2 years. works great, actually looks good and showing no sign of wear.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yeah, but...MEC rocks.

Pissed off he lives in the States now,
S.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
konaken said:
I've owned 4 of the Rav X cages. The set I have know are the replacements for the ones that broke. They have a good replacement warranty. I know of others that have had these cages break as well. Be careful with them and they may hold up. I use them as daily cages and they are lasting about 9 months. I have heard that the newer design is holding up better. Sorry for the downer of a post, I hope they work for you, and hopefully mine will last through the race season.

Ken

eh. hopefully they last! I think its the beta X cage. Its their most expensive one.

Didn't pay too much so I'm not really too worried about it. I work at the shop I got them from. ;) But I guess its more of a pain in the butt than anything else.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
fredf said:
I have a 25gm black plastic cage from Mountain Equip Co-op for $3.75 for the past 2 years. works great, actually looks good and showing no sign of wear.
When I lived in NE Ohio, I periodically made gear runs to MEC in Toronto. Awesome store, but the best part may have been the night life along Queen St. (I think that was the street.). There was this English/Irish/Scottish or somethin bar/restaurant just a few blocks away where they had a pretty damned fine shepherd's pie and muy damned finer waitresses wearing short plaid skirts, knee-high socks, and button down white shirts. They had that whole "school girl" vibe goin' on. Very naughty. I highly recommend the joint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its not just the $$, its having your bottle and cage "liberating" itself from your frame while riding in the pack that i'd be worried about.......

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
theriddler said:
Its not just the $$, its having your bottle and cage "liberating" itself from your frame while riding in the pack that i'd be worried about.......
Just like any other manufactured product, there are good ones and bad ones. Buying a well designed CF cage--Reynolds, Tacx, Zipp, etc.--will get you a cage that doesn't drop bottles and isn't fragile. If a person's paranoid about CF and would like light weight in a cage, then there's always the King Ti cages....

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
alienator said:
Just like any other manufactured product, there are good ones and bad ones. Buying a well designed CF cage--Reynolds, Tacx, Zipp, etc.--will get you a cage that doesn't drop bottles and isn't fragile. If a person's paranoid about CF and would like light weight in a cage, then there's always the King Ti cages....

Generally true but after I had a $90 Elite Patao carbon cage crack (possibly in transit) I figured fcuk it and replaced them with alloy Tao cages. Perhaps Elite Patao carbon cages are [email protected] although I even broke off the plastic stop tab at the bottom of a Tao cage but for $15 a pop I didn't really care. I've never had a cage that lasted more than two years so I'd rather spend $150 on something else. Now maybe I'm making it seem like I'm an ape with my equipment but I'm not. ...and no I don't have any scientific data to back that up. ;)

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
rocco said:
Generally true but after I had a $90 Elite Patao carbon cage crack (possibly in transit) I figured fcuk it and replaced them with alloy Tao cages. Perhaps Elite Patao carbon cages are [email protected] although I even broke off the plastic stop tab at the bottom of a Tao cage but for $15 a pop I didn't really care. I've never had a cage that lasted more than two years so I'd rather spend $150 on something else. Now maybe I'm making it seem like I'm an ape with my equipment but I'm not. ...and no I don't have any scientific data to back that up. ;)
Damn. Thems Elite Pataos is expensive cages. Me Zipps were only 50 deneros each. Seem pretty stout so far, 6 months or so down the road.

But damn, if you don't have any scientific data or at least some charts or graphs, how the hell is anyone supposed to believe you? Tell you what: I'll loan you the graph below so's you'll have some data. It's the radiant exitance that a Zipp cage would have, as a function of wavelength, if it were a perfect black body, at 2600K.

Your welcome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts