Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a few years since I've been in the market for wheels, and I'm wondering if carbon clincher braking performance is still the issue it was when they first came out. I had planned to get carbon with alum brake tracks, but if there has been enough improvement with all-carbons it would be a way to save some weight.

i plan to use them every day (if you don't agree with that concept, then deal with it). Most of my miles will be aggressive riding on dry, moderate terrain with occasional short, sharp climbs/descents. This should normally present little issue, but I don't want to find myself afraid to bomb the occasional longer descents or worried about getting caught in the rain (I do have a separate "rain bike").

Opinions of those with current, real road experience will be valued much more than those of armchair theorists with an axe to grind. I'm looking at the Reynolds Assaults.

·
mrwirey
195 Posts
I cannot differentiate between my Zipp Firecrest 303s and 808s and any of my higher end aluminum rims (Mavic Ksyrium SLs, HED Jet 9, Zipp 101, Campagnolo Shamal Two-Way Fit). The braking on the Zipps is flawless. My Spinergy FCC (I believe Corima makes the rims) are equally as good. No modulation, fading, or anything untoward. By comparison I have a set of Chinese made carbon clinchers, which are pretty bad when the brakes are applied. The brake tracks are obviously to blame as the braking is highly modulated and uneven. I would have no problem riding my Zipps or Spinergy wheelsets everyday other than fear of pothole damage. I would probably run 700x25c tires if I did use them on a daily basis just for my own peace of mind.
Very respectfully, Tim

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,667 Posts
i'll agree w/ the above post. the quality and safety of braking with carbon clinchers has improved dramtically in just the last couple of years. i would say that Zipp and Bontrager at the best, and most consistent. the new Enve rims are excellent as well. i have no experience w/ the newer Reynolds rims, but i'm sure they've gotten better as well.

just make sure you use the recommended pads, and pay attention to the rim makers max allowable tire pressure.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you get caught out in a storm you will notice a difference between carbon and aluminum rims with regards to braking. As long as you are capable of correcting for the increased stopping distance there are no issues riding carbon rims in the rain on occasion, or more often if you so desire.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If brand is important I should mention that I can't afford Zipp, Enve, etc. I'm looking at the Reynolds because Performance has them on sale for $999. My max budget is $1200-1500.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Stopping power isn't much of an an issue with newer reputable carbon rims in dry weather, clincher or otherwise.

Heat build up to the point of blowing a tube is potentially another story though. The real high end companies (Enve for example) have done the testing and from what I understand have that well under control. Others.....the jury is out. Most riders won't encounter the type of braking required to overheat them so it's a non-issue for most but a blanket statement of "it's no longer an issue" wouldn't be accurate in all cases either.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Bug,

I just got a pair of Reynolds Assaults and the braking is just fine. I feel the braking is no diffrent that on my Bontrager Alloy wheels. The reynolds pads are very nice and easy to put on. Also, the Assaults that Performance is selling come with the ctg brake system.

I love the wheels. Very happy I got them. One thing I will say tho, they are stiff! You will feel bumps.. I am running 100 f 105 r and it seems to help smooth them out a bit.

Linky to ctg braking from Reynolds.

Reynolds Cycling

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did not find this to be the case at all when I ran carbon wheels a few years ago. I raced more than one crit in the rain withe swiss stop pads and while the braking was not as good at my alu wheels it was good enough.
downpour, not rain. with rain or wet conditions, one wheel rotation while braking is usually enough to dry the wheels. in a downpour, the wheels don't dry no matter how much you brake.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
downpour, not rain. with rain or wet conditions, one wheel rotation while braking is usually enough to dry the wheels. in a downpour, the wheels don't dry no matter how much you brake.
I raced in more than one downpour, I understand the meaning of the word.

In that condition you have to preskim you break tracks before you apply full braking force. Its not optimal for any braking surface and def the carbon was not as good at the alu but is was not no existant.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can count on one hand the number of times I've ridden in a downpour - and only one time was that a race - so I'm not so concerned about 'downpour' braking performance.

I guess at this point I'm looking for specific brand recommendations at that $1000-1500 price point that I have to stay within. Reynolds has been mentioned, but are there others?

p.s. really appreciate all the great comments I've already gotten.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
My 404s do not brake well at all in the "full" wet. With aluminum, you get some slip and then they grab hard. With the carbon, you get slip, more slip and then slowly they start to grab.

Other than that, I prefer the characteristics of the carbon braking even if the stopping distance is increased a bit over aluminum competitors.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I've had two Boyd wheels (carbon clinchers) warp out at the rim due to excessive braking. In one case I was going down an approx 6% grade hill at 40mph, and had to come to a full stop in about 15 seconds. In the other case I was on the brakes for about 2 minutes coming down a steep hill with lots of potholes. Used them for about a year, and otherwise did not have an issue with braking. Rarely rode them in the rain, so can't really comment on braking performance when wet. However, I'm content using aluminum rims now.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also keep in mind I'm talking about newer model carbon clinchers - heat buildup and such is a well documented problem with older models. Reynolds and others are now claiming technological advances in their wheels that have significantly reduced such issues. If you don't mention how old your wheels are, I have no way of knowing how relevant your comment is.

·
mrwirey
195 Posts
Here is a link to a short review someone posted about Spinergy Full Carbon Clinchers. I paid $1,250 for mine and this 'poster' paid the same. I couldn't find any information about them before I bought them; I just took a leap of faith. They have served me well to date and I have well over 3,000 miles on them.
V/r, Tim
Spinergy Stealth FCC review (45mm full carbon clincher) - Weight Weenies

More reviews here:
Spinergy Stealth FCC wheelsets - clincher Reviews

Picture of my Cysco Steel with Spinergy FCC:
View attachment 278351

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.