Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for a set of lightweight full carbon clincher rims i have seen a set at the sydney bike show but was unable to get the maker or any info i want a set of clinchers for the convenaince of being able to chage the tyre instead of walking home any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
732 Posts
markrider said:
im looking for a set of lightweight full carbon clincher rims i have seen a set at the sydney bike show but was unable to get the maker or any info i want a set of clinchers for the convenaince of being able to chage the tyre instead of walking home any help would be great thanks
Reynolds makes them...

Reynolds Composites

·
Registered
86 Posts
try velocarbon.com as well. I'm pretty sure they are reynolds wheels, but that's just my opinion. I've ordered from the company before and they are great to work with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bontragers new xxx lite wheel is also now a carbon clincher. You cant inflate the tire past 120 psi or you risk breaking the rim.

·
Registered
732 Posts
wasfast said:
Nobody mentioned Zipp yet....

I don't think Zipps are carbon clinchers - but rather an alloy braking surface bonded to carbon.... so not technically a carbon clincher (not full carbon anyway).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Campy Hyperon Ultra

markrider said:
I have recently bought a set of Campy Hyperon Ultras. Great wheels and can recommend them. Also build to withstand high pressure and the only guidance they give in this regard is to follow the pressure recommended by the tire manufacturer.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Why are carbon clinchers much more expensive than their tubular counterparts?

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
Meks

they make a 465-480 grm clincher. Liggero building with them them I belive.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thorn Bait said:
Why are carbon clinchers much more expensive than their tubular counterparts?
Because carbon fiber isn't a material that's well suited to making the shapes necessary for a clincher rim. I'm sure clinchers are a harder lay-up, and I'm sure it takes a lot more engineering and testing to make sure the bead seat can resist the outward forces.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spunout said:
You could learn how to change a tubular also.
i dont want to run late for work and i dont have a back up crew following me in a support car with spare rims and tyres

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Carter227 said:
Bontragers new xxx lite wheel is also now a carbon clincher. You cant inflate the tire past 120 psi or you risk breaking the rim.
ive spoken to a few guys about bontrager they were very unhappy about wheel flex and other issues so im not to sure about them

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Lance_work said:
Check out www.nimble.net for their "Fly" rim.
It's a carbon rim available in clincher or tubular. They also make it in a "HorseFly" configuration for larger folks.
It's almost hidden on their website. Their clincher isn't full carbon. Instead, it has an aluminum rim bed bonded to carbon.

I don't recommend carbon clinchers if you race (i.e. can't easily avoid bumps) or ride in the mountains requiring hard braking. Carbon clinchers are more susceptible to damage compared to aluminum clinchers and it have increased heat sensitivety. They also offer no real weight over aluminum clinchers and are often actually heavier.

·
Registered
732 Posts
divve said:
They also offer no real weight over aluminum clinchers and are often actually heavier.
Yeah that is true - though if you are looking a reasonable weight in an aero wheel, carbon clinchers probably win out. The American Classic 420 is 34mm depth (not particularly aero), but weighs 1450 grams. The Reynolds Stratus clincher is 46mm depth with about 1500 grams for the set. So, it seems if you are looking for reasonable weight and reasonably aero, carbon clinchers do have a potential advantage over aluminum clinchers.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts