Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,511 Posts
There can be voids that can't be seen even when there are no obvious voids to be seen.
Well yes, just because you never see a cockroach doesn't mean there are any cockroaches, but it's a pretty good indication. If you see one, chances are there are many more you can't see.

Bad things can happen at any moment on any day to anybody, there ain't no hiding in bed.
Common sense precautions can be taken in life without having to live under a rock.

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
What's seen in the picture is definitely not a problem. I've actually read information from Parlee (well respected carbon frame maker) saying it's better to NOT cosmetically fill in these type surface voids that happen. I forget why they said that though.

As for speculation that something that can't be seen or proven from the picture is lurking. You can choose for yourself how much weight you want to give to wild speculation from strangers on the internet.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Well yes, just because you never see a cockroach doesn't mean there are any cockroaches, but it's a pretty good indication. If you see one, chances are there are many more you can't see.

Common sense precautions can be taken in life without having to live under a rock.
A void ain't a cockroach.

Calculated risk ain't exactly living under a rock, while expecting the worst outcome out of the smallest denominator isn't necessarily common sense.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,511 Posts
What's seen in the picture is definitely not a problem. I've actually read information from Parlee (well respected carbon frame maker) saying it's better to NOT cosmetically fill in these type surface voids that happen. I forget why they said that though.

As for speculation that something that can't be seen or proven from the picture is lurking. You can choose for yourself how much weight you want to give to wild speculation from strangers on the internet.
Said by a stranger on the internet. :D

Calculated risk ain't exactly living under a rock, while expecting the worst outcome out of the smallest denominator isn't necessarily common sense.

That depends on your definition of the "smallest denominator".

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Did you forget about the 1/2" diameter hole they drilled through the whole thing? And your worried about what?

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
I don't think these are considered "voids". Voids are holes between the carbon layers. These are not hole between layers.
And besides, if they're using filament wound method, then they're not layering up sheets of carbon fiber, are they?

So, IMO, the question of how "detrimentral" these holes are/could be has to be asked in conjunction with construction technique too. As I recall in one of the post the OP posted somewhere, the manufacturered has explained that using filament wound results in a stronger structure, so these holes are not as critical as if they were using the traditional carbon-layering up method.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,511 Posts
I think the OP is long gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Heya, still here. I did post on another forum for more opinions, but I've had them x-ray'd at Spyder Composites (CA) and he said he didn't see anything to worry about.

I asked for pictures to upload, haven't heard back yet--but hey it was done free of charge so I can't complain.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Heya, still here. I did post on another forum for more opinions, but I've had them x-ray'd at Spyder Composites (CA) and he said he didn't see anything to worry about.

I asked for pictures to upload, haven't heard back yet--but hey it was done free of charge so I can't complain.
very good info to know! Thanks for the update.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,511 Posts

What brand of wheels are these?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts