Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Please advise,
I am thinking about purchasing a set of vision metron 55 carbon clincher.
Could any tell me if these are good wheelsets. I haven't heard too much about vision wheels. And just wanted some insight.
Also as they are 55mm could I use a tube with valve length 65mm or would that be too small?
Vision Metron 55 Clincher Wheelset 2017 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Also I have attached a couple photos could you please tell me what you think of the wear on the brake track. Not sure how to tell with carbon wheels

Attachments

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,822 Posts
Hi and welcome! Since you are new, you may want to read through these stickies here. Lots of good info here:

Wheels and Tires FAQ and helpful tips

As for the wheels you are considering, I have not heard of them. What is it you are looking for in a wheel set?

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
I haven't heard too much about vision wheels. And just wanted some insight.
Really? How hard did you look? Because my Google found a LOT of reviews.

Seems like they're mediocre.

Also as they are 55mm could I use a tube with valve length 65mm or would that be too small?
Might work. Often depends on the chuck on your pump.

Also I have attached a couple photos could you please tell me what you think of the wear on the brake track.
They look fine in the photos.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
From looking at their profile, which is a tad U-shape but not a true U-shape, I think these wheels will do well windy condition. Rims are 24mm wide, which is a tad narrow for today's aero wheel standard. Today's standard is 26mm-28mm wide at the brake track to accomodate 25mm wide tires for both comfort and aero superiority. Since these Vision are only 24mm wide, then what this means is that if you want maximum aero then you most likely have to go with 23mm tires, but if you want more comfort then you'd go with 25mm tires at the expense of aero.

The brake track looks very good from the photos.

IMO, if you're getting a great deal on the Vision, then buy them. If the price is only "fair", then I'd pass on them. Go wider.
For reference, you can get really nice Chinese wheels in 50-60mm deep, 26mm-28mm wide, with Bitex 305 hubs, Pillar 1423 spokes, weigh ~1600g, for about $550-$570 shipped (to USA).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From looking at their profile, which is a tad U-shape but not a true U-shape, I think these wheels will do well windy condition. Rims are 24mm wide, which is a tad narrow for today's aero wheel standard. Today's standard is 26mm-28mm wide at the brake track to accomodate 25mm wide tires for both comfort and aero superiority. Since these Vision are only 24mm wide, then what this means is that if you want maximum aero then you most likely have to go with 23mm tires, but if you want more comfort then you'd go with 25mm tires at the expense of aero.

IMO, if you're getting a great deal on the Vision, then buy them. If the price is only "fair", then I'd pass on them. Go wider.
For reference, you can get really nice Chinese wheels in 50-60mm deep, 26mm-28mm wide, with Bitex 305 hubs, Pillar 1423 spokes, weigh ~1600g, for about $550-$570 shipped (to USA).
What website would you recommend for the Chinese wheels? I was looking into the Tokyo wheels epic wheelset, do you know much about those?

·
Registered
4,560 Posts

Really? No disrespect, but that looks a little unrealistic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
What website would you recommend for the Chinese wheels? I was looking into the Tokyo wheels epic wheelset, do you know much about those?
Check out

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Yuananbike:
They don't list prices, but if you inquire, they will give you the prices and build options. Go with a build using R10 hubs, Pillar 1423 spokes, this will get you a solid wheelset for under $550 USD shipped to USA.
My friend and I each bought a wheelset from them to use as training and we are very satisfied.
The only thing is you have to wait 2 weeks for them to build and another 2 weeks to ship, so we're talking 1 months. Be patient because bicycle supply chain is short in parts. Yuanbike have to raise their prices 10% recently due to their suppliers all raising their prices.

Yoeleo, Lightbicyle, Tokyo.. are all good wheels, especially Yoeleo. But they will run you a little higher than than Yuananbike.

BTW, 65mm valve stems will work with 55mm rims.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Really? No disrespect, but that looks a little unrealistic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I got a pair, my buddy got a pair. I was totally surprised how well built they are for something $550. Except for 100g of weight difference, compared to top brands costing in the $2000, I'm not missing anything. One reason why these Chinese wheels are heavier is they use 20/24 spokes of the Pillar 1423 variety (which are a tad heavier but also stronger than Sapim). These wheels are solid, great for sprinting interval workout and crits, definitely stronger and less flexy than my $2000 Reynolds Aero 65 wheels which are only using 16H/21H Sapim CX-rays. The Powerway and Bitex hubs used in these wheels may not be comparable to the likes of DT, Kings, White Industry, Shimano,.. but they get the job done. Plenty of guys in my fast group are using these sort of Chinese wheels. Those with deeper pockets can swing to Yoeleo or Hunt or Winspace. But guys are not willing to drop $2000+ for the likes of Zipps and Enves for fear of crashing them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought a set of carbon wheels from Light Bicycle for my daughter recently , really impressed with the quality .
35mm deep ,18mm internal , built with CX-ray spokes and DT Swiss 350 hubs .
Just over $1100 Cdn , weight with skewers was 1523 grams. Would not hesitate to do it again and I also own a set of Reynolds Wheels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I understand op was looking for carbon, but wouldn’t hunt aero wheels be a safer option than any of the cheaper Chinese carbon with no crash protection whatsoever. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
I understand op was looking for carbon, but wouldn’t hunt aero wheels be a safer option than any of the cheaper Chinese carbon with no crash protection whatsoever. Just a thought.
Hunt offers a 35% crash discount.

I could by 3 sets of wheels (and change) for what 2 sets would cost with Hunts crash replacement.
Yet in tens of thousands of miles, I've never crashed a wheel.

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
I've got 2 sets of wheels from Yoeleo. One rim and one disc. Ordered both direct from their website. They sell on Amazon too but offer less options.
Yoeleo wheels are UCI approved. 3yr warranty. I had a bearing issue on one set that they sent me replacements for. No problems, other than a bit of time sending emails.

Their wheels are aerodynamically as good or better than any of the big names.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got 2 sets of wheels from Yoeleo. One rim and one disc. Ordered both direct from their website. They sell on Amazon too but offer less options.
Yoeleo wheels are UCI approved. 3yr warranty. I had a bearing issue on one set that they sent me replacements for. No problems, other than a bit of time sending emails.

Ok great. Good to know. Hadn’t looked into these. Will definitely take a look.

·
Registered
19,756 Posts

Also to add:
My one set has over 15,000 mi. Never had to true them. No issues.
My other set I'm not sure of the miles, it's my winter bike and I don't ride it as much. But those are still true and no issues either.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
One thing about the Chinese sellers is that while many do not officially offer a crash replacement warranty, but almost all of them will give you a 10%-15% discount if you break a wheel and now you're asking them for a discount replacement. Keep in mind that these guys are operating on lower profit margin than the big brands, so for them to offer a 10% is something we can't be accusing them of "being el cheapo". Hell, I got 15% discount for buying multiple wheelsets from one vendor simply by bargaining with them. With Asians, don't hesitate to bargian a little bit, they're quite flexible within the realm of 10%-15% discount. Once you get to 20% then they will start to hesitate because this eats too much into their margins.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I got a pair, my buddy got a pair. I was totally surprised how well built they are for something $550. Except for 100g of weight difference, compared to top brands costing in the $2000, I'm not missing anything. One reason why these Chinese wheels are heavier is they use 20/24 spokes of the Pillar 1423 variety (which are a tad heavier but also stronger than Sapim). These wheels are solid, great for sprinting interval workout and crits, definitely stronger and less flexy than my $2000 Reynolds Aero 65 wheels which are only using 16H/21H Sapim CX-rays. The Powerway and Bitex hubs used in these wheels may not be comparable to the likes of DT, Kings, White Industry, Shimano,.. but they get the job done. Plenty of guys in my fast group are using these sort of Chinese wheels. Those with deeper pockets can swing to Yoeleo or Hunt or Winspace. But guys are not willing to drop $2000+ for the likes of Zipps and Enves for fear of crashing them.
The weights are impressive at those prices! My Dura Ace C24s are 1440. They are pretty shallow...

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,822 Posts
One reason why these Chinese wheels are heavier is they use 20/24 spokes of the Pillar 1423 variety (which are a tad heavier but also stronger than Sapim). These wheels are solid, great for sprinting interval workout and crits, definitely stronger and less flexy than my $2000 Reynolds Aero 65 wheels which are only using 16H/21H Sapim CX-rays.
And there you have it. No matter what, a higher spoke count is going to give you a stiffer wheel, period. It has way less to do with whether they are Pillar 1423's or Sapim CX-Rays.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yuananbike:
They don't list prices, but if you inquire, they will give you the prices and build options. Go with a build using R10 hubs, Pillar 1423 spokes, this will get you a solid wheelset for under $550 USD shipped to USA.
My friend and I each bought a wheelset from them to use as training and we are very satisfied.
The only thing is you have to wait 2 weeks for them to build and another 2 weeks to ship, so we're talking 1 months. Be patient because bicycle supply chain is short in parts. Yuanbike have to raise their prices 10% recently due to their suppliers all raising their prices.

Yoeleo, Lightbicyle, Tokyo.. are all good wheels, especially Yoeleo. But they will run you a little higher than than Yuananbike.

BTW, 65mm valve stems will work with 55mm rims.
Do you recommend pillar over Sapim for training wheels. I got a quote from them for sapim and pricing seems to be just above 550 like you said. Considering getting them so was wondering if I should go for pillar instead of sapim.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts