Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I'd like to get some 50mm carbon clinchers. I don't want to spend over $2k on a wheelset.
Just something that looks great and performs great for a weekend warrior guy.

I am stuck between the Blackwell research wheels which I can get for $630 new, or the Leo Q021(S) listed here for $712.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290298490056&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

What I like about the Leo is that it hardly has any graphics on the wheel, but I have never heard of this company. On the other hand, I have heard of blackwell research, but their wheels have too many graphics. I beleive the graphics are under the clear coat so I would need to sand down the wheel to take them off.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,

·
Registered
485 Posts
Have you looked at Williams Cycling wheels?

They have 38mm carbon clinchers, and 58mm carbon clinchers, both a tad bit under $1,000.

Great wheels, and a local guy to me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Quite a few of them have seem to gone out of business I didn't know blackwell was one of them, too bad for them.

Zen Cyclery said:
Blackwell is out of business...
So if you want to go with either of those two get the Leo's.
You could consider a custom built set.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Howdy folks. We sell the Leo wheels here in the states while they are still available. Leo Elements V6 is a euro company that canceled an order and the factory that makes the wheels for them sold them to an importer in the US that we in turn bought them from. You can find a little info on them if you use Leo Elements V6 in your Google search function and you speak German. They are a Swiss company, I believe. Beat Wabel (former cross honch) is selling them over there as I understand it. They've been great wheels for us, but I don't know if we'll be able to get them anymore (deals like this only come along so often). I've been running a set now for almost a year and they've been great. I weigh 195 and haven't had to true them up yet. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
Cheers,
Tom
Unreal Cycles

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
what's the rim depth - there's two different answers in the q/a ebay section. Personally, I don't think 38s are worth it unless superlight (in which case tubular is better anyway) since 38 isn't deep enough to get a big aero benefit. I'd also want to know about the brake track composition - this is a serious issue for carbon clinchers. Lew did a lot of work on this (google carbon rim deformation for more info) and Reynolds licensed their technology for it. I've seen a few carbon clinchers wrecked from braking during descents.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll try to get right at the questions without screwing them up too much.
Rim Depth- they are 38mm from the bead hook to the top of the rim. It's a nice compromise between aero and box section. If you are looking for a deeper set, then check out our Grammo 50C. http://rd.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item194.htm

Brake track- Leo and Grammo both use a "dropped" brake track on their carbon clinchers. It sits down a few millimeters from the bead hook. This allows the brake track to line up with the internal reinforcing wall, thereby giving quite a bit more stiffness to the brake track and removing the heat from the tube. It also allows them to build a rim without psi restrictions. Most stock brakes will reach the dropped track fine, but in case yours doesn't, then the wheels come with a set of special pad holders that allow a little longer reach. It's no big secret that there are a few companies using the rim. It's an "open mould" rim from Gigantex. Besides Grammo and Leo Elements, I think Williams and some others are using the rim as well.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The Williams 50C wheels use the Gigantex hoops. I've ridden and raced mine for a year with zero issues. They've been bulletproof hoops.
Call Keith Williams and see if he has the hoops for sale. Last I spoke to him (about a month ago), he had some floating around.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
The Williams 50C wheels use the Gigantex hoops. I've ridden and raced mine for a year with zero issues. They've been bulletproof hoops.
Call Keith Williams and see if he has the hoops for sale. Last I spoke to him (about a month ago), he had some floating around.
Gigantex makes nice hoops. Its worth it to get a pair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts