Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a compact carbon crankset. I am considering SRAM Force, SRAM Red, or Campy Chorus.

What do you think?

I have read mixed reviews on the SRAM Red cranks...a review on this forum said that the rings were quite flexible. Not sure I care for the radical styling either but that is not a huge factor.

I want something stiff as I am a 200 pound rider.

I also should mention that my drivetrain is a Dura-Ace 9 speed. I'm not sure if there would be any compatiblity issues with my 9 speed drivetrain with a 10 speed crankset????

thanks
Matt

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
None of the above. CF explodes.

Get a Ultegra crankset in the SL colors.

· Registered
984 Posts
I would suggest investigating how the different cranksets adjusted. Some of the cranks do not have any adjustment and will be loose if the BB is narrow and will pinch the bearings if the BB is too wide. If you pick a crank that has no adjustment, hope your BB is the same width as the crank.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

Just my opinion, but the Chorus UT is the crank I consider to be the best value. That's what I chose earlier this year.

All outboard cranks require a careful inspection of the BB shell faces at the minimum. All paint must be removed. With Campy UT, the BB shell width must be 67.2-68.8mm. Rather than pay for an unnneeded facing job, I screw the bearing cups into the frame until they contact a .010 inch feeler gage and then use .008-.012 inch feelers to search for high or low spots. My frame did not need any facing. The width was 68mm and the faces were square to the bearing cups. Too much facing could take the shell width below 67.2mm, in which case some thin shims might be needed to restore the width.

You will need a Park BBT-19 tool to torque the cups or the Shimano 16 spline wrench if you chose the purple loctite method. I chose the normal grease and torque method, since the purple loctite 222 can be hard to find unless ordered online.

· monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
The weakest link with the Sram groups ,road and mountain, is the crankset. They just can't seem to make a crankset that really competes with a Shimano or Campagnolo crankest. They aren't bad, but they just don't quite compare to the weight of the campy cranksets or the amazing shifting and stiffness of the Shimano cranksets.
Sram cranks aren't bad, but if you are after a crankset thats carbon the Campag Chorus is tough to beat. I would point you in the direction of a Ultegra SL if you don't want to spend all the money. Just as light and stiff as a lot of carbon fiber cranks but for less money.

· Registered
2,651 Posts
I have to agree, my sram grouppo works great with the race face crankset. I hear the crankset on the Sram has also been causing problems with shifting.
I would go campy if your talking bombproof.

· Registered
86 Posts
being a 200pounder i would choose an alloy crank instead of carbon. And there isnt any compability issues that i know of with the newer cranks to your 9spd. You may just have to fine tune your FD a lil bit maybe.
If price is an issue the FSA compacts are very reasonably priced for faily light cranks. And id perfer the internal ISIS over the external bearings anyways

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
There can be compatibility issues, esp. if moving to a compact set. A 10-speed chainset has the rings slightly closer together, which can increase crosschain rubbing beyond an acceptable amount. It can be corrected with spacing washers, but it's something to remember.

At 200 lbs, I'd have to consider the reasons. There's not a weight advantage, and even if there were, the percentage would be small enough to be meaningless. The carbon from a top-line producer is likely strong enough, but without any real advantage. At 180, I'm not finding a reason to get carbon, other than a bit of bling lust... So far I've resisted.

· Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
My buddy has Campy Chorus UT compact cranks on his bike and he's about 190 pounds. He liked it so much that he went with the alloy Centaur UT compact cranks on his second bike (classic steel frame so he wanted a more retro look to the bike). I don't think you can go wrong if you go with these cranks.

· \m/
150 Posts
I have a S-Works Tarmac SL2 frame on order and I'm thinking about putting a Fulcrum Torq RS crank on the bike with everything else SRAM Red.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.