Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In layman's terms, could anyone tell me the differences in carbon weaves etc. ie 12K 3K etc..... just curious

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
This is not a bad explanation.
http://storckbicycle.com/usa/index.php?c=tech&s=carbonfiber

Note that weaves are used for outer layers—more cosmetic than functional. So these numbers don't tell you a whole lot about the inner workings of a carbon frame. Without weaves, carbon would be a tough sell. I've got some 20-year old no-weave carbon sculls for a rowing shell and while they work beautifully, they are butt-ugly. They look like they're made from reject Kingsford BBQ charcoal. You always want to keep your hands on the wooden handles and never touch the carbon. If you do, almost invisible, broken carbon fibers get under your skin and itch infernally.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
I'll be honest. All carbon fiber is basically the same.

Nanotech, weave, layup, matrix, resin, monocoque, unidirectional, monobloc...

All loaded terms. Buy and be happy. EXPLODE!!!

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
Marketing...

The first marketeers said their carbon was 3k weave, so the next ones came out and proclaimed theirs was 12k (therefore trumping the first company!) :ciappa:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If anyone knows more about the carbon used on the Blue RD 1, I'd love to hear more about it.

It is very interesting looking. It isn't a weave pattern that I normally see. It's squirly. I think it's gorgeous. But I'm not fining out much about it.

Blue's website (www.rideblue.com) says it is "Aerus Composites T700 high modulus carbon fiber".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts