Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1274 Posts

·
Administrator
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the current thread is getting a bit to big to open at times, here is the continuation thread for all things Ebay and direct purchase carbon threads. Nice job on the last thread- it will be locked but remain stuck (and search/readable) as a great resource for all those interested in these frames. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thanks! Would you guys ever consider making a subforum for these? Seems like they are becoming increasingly popular and more retailers are showing up. It could cover brands like Pedalfoce and Planet X too that way...

·
Registered
85 Posts
@ WW, thanks for all the helpful information. Stack and reach make a lot more sense now, and seems like a much easier way to understand the size of a bike. The general size numbers do seem pretty useless, espically when the brain bias of "I'm always a size X" kicks in.

So I ended up getting, from 88bikefun on ebay,

in a size 56.

The measurement info provided is

Size : 56cm
Material : Carbon (3K)
Head Angle : 73°
Seat Angle : 74°
Seat Tube : 560mm C to T
Top Tube : 556mm C to C
Head Tube : 155mm
Chain Stay : 405mm
Seat post size : 31.6mm
Seat post clamp : 34.9
R Frame Width : 130mm
BB : 68mm English
Derailleur Mount : Band Mount
Headset : Integrated 1 1/8"
Frame Weight : 1140g

Fork

Steerer Size: 1 1/8"
Hub Spacing: 100mm
Steerer Length: 300mm
Fork Rake: 43 mm
Weight: 390g

Not knowing all that much I ended up choosing this one because 1, it seems like the geo will fit well and be what I (think) am looking for (relatively aggressive bike I can train and race on), 2, its carbon (as opposed to the perfectly fine but somewhat harsh F100 I have now), 3, I liked the look of it.

Does anyone know, from the look of it, what this frame model number is?

And the cost was 408.00 shipped, that is if it arrives!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Does anyone have extra 53cm 015-SPL?
I was in a crash yesterday and now I need another one. Jenny tells me I have to wait a month!!
Help!!

as for the detail. I was doing my afterwork loop at Central Park, and some idiot without any safety gear at night (no helmet, light etc) suddenly decided to make a turn in front of me without checking. my bike ran straight into his rear wheel (of course his bike was a cheap walmart tank) My Assault wheel went out of true (fixed) but then I got small cracks on the downtube right behind my head tube (see my previous post about my earlier crash!!) anyway, I could still ride it if I was suicidal but I am not. So now I need to figure out how to replace my frame without losing the whole July....

Let me know if anyone has an extra that they can let go...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Finally built my Hong-Fu carbon rims...

Finally tried my hand at building a set of wheels.. waiting on my sew-ups to try them out.. I started by reading and reading then read some more.. I hit the rims with high grit sand paper to take the gloss off the rims and laced them using Novatec hubs and Pillar areo spokes... Had some moments on this first build.. but think I got it..will find out after some miles.... couldn't wait to see how they looked on the bike so had to put them on without the tires.....

·
Registered
403 Posts
PLAYONIT said:
Finally tried my hand at building a set of wheels.. waiting on my sew-ups to try them out.. I started by reading and reading then read some more.. I hit the rims with high grit sand paper to take the gloss off the rims and laced them using Novatec hubs and Pillar areo spokes... Had some moments on this first build.. but think I got it..will find out after some miles.... couldn't wait to see how they looked on the bike so had to put them on without the tires.....
Awesome man! I'm sure I'm not the only one that's really curious to hear a first hand review of these.

What was the final weight? I seem to recall a while back you had mentioned the rims advertised weight was pretty accurate right?

·
Registered
247 Posts
1412 grams without skewers.... they really look better with the gloss taken off.. I noticed in the picture that you can see the oil smudges on the rims from oil on my hands that was from oiling the threads and nipples.... I wil let all know how they ride ... my first build so I can't wait to see how I did...

Dutch77 said:
Awesome man! I'm sure I'm not the only one that's really curious to hear a first hand review of these.

What was the final weight? I seem to recall a while back you had mentioned the rims advertised weight was pretty accurate right?

·
Registered
698 Posts
PLAYONIT said:
Wow that is a nice looking build. I have built several sets of the Chinese carbon rims, right now I have a set of 88mm on Bike Soul hubs w/CX-Rays that build came out to 1507g. I also built a 50mm set with a Powertap for training. I have a set of 20mm rims coming and plan to build a set that should be under 1000g.

What size is that frame? Did you weigh it before building? I have the same frame coming in a 55 non-ISP BB30, except I ordered it unpainted, not even clear-coat. We shall see how it arrives and what the frame weight is. I figured if Calfee can sell a carbon bike unpainted then why can't the Chinese.

·
Registered
85 Posts
jessehibbs said:
Looks like an FM004 to me
I thought that at first too, but the junction at the seat looks different. Hong-fu has an image of the fm004. The sizing also looks different. (fm004 is 55 or 57, no 56)

·
Registered
164 Posts
sweet! nice to see a pair of these built up. Can you post a bit more detail about the wheel build?
I'm curious as I have a set of hong-fu clinchers (60+88) on the way, and am also going 20 + 24 on novatec hubs, still undecided about spokes.

in particular:
Which novatec hubs did you use?
Can you show a closeup of the lacing of the rear? (all heads in?) I assume you've gone 2X on both sides?
Where did you get the pillars from, i've only seem them from bdop cycling in taiwan?
Are the spoke holes drilled to account for the spoke angle, or are they straight holes?
Did you get any guide to maximum spoke tension with the wheels?

many thanks for any extra detail you can provide, and many congrats on what looks like a successful first build!
sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
247 Posts
The frame weighed a little over 1700 grams with un-cut seat post and fork tube with head set... IIRC

WheresWaldo said:
Wow that is a nice looking build. I have built several sets of the Chinese carbon rims, right now I have a set of 88mm on Bike Soul hubs w/CX-Rays that build came out to 1507g. I also built a 50mm set with a Powertap for training. I have a set of 20mm rims coming and plan to build a set that should be under 1000g.

What size is that frame? Did you weigh it before building? I have the same frame coming in a 55 non-ISP BB30, except I ordered it unpainted, not even clear-coat. We shall see how it arrives and what the frame weight is. I figured if Calfee can sell a carbon bike unpainted then why can't the Chinese.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I bought the same novatec hubs from bdop cycling. Timothy there has just got a contract with Pillar spokes. If you ask he should sell you spokes. I got spokes and nipples/washers enough for both wheels plus a few extras for $35US (the triplebutted version of pillar). Unfortunately, they gave me the wrong size for my driveside, but the rest were fine. I did however get about 20 odd 240mm spokes (instead of 263mm). So if anyone wants to buy them off me and pay for postage, pm me. All in black (no nipples).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Bridgey said:
I bought the same novatec hubs from bdop cycling. Timothy there has just got a contract with Pillar spokes. If you ask he should sell you spokes. I got spokes and nipples/washers enough for both wheels plus a few extras for $35US (the triplebutted version of pillar). Unfortunately, they gave me the wrong size for my driveside, but the rest were fine. I did however get about 20 odd 240mm spokes (instead of 263mm). So if anyone wants to buy them off me and pay for postage, pm me. All in black (no nipples).
Are washers a requirement for CF rims? I figured they might spread the load a bit better.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What is the consensus on Novatech hubs? I have got a price list off of an eBay seller that says the wheels he has are built up with novatech hubs, 3k weave, red/white/black spokes (black is standard)... and this seller accepts paypal and will create a seperate eBay auction listing for me as well to make it official:

$527 --88mm Clincher
$467 --88mm Tubular
$467 --60mm Clincher
$398 --60mm Tubular
$449 --50mm Clincher
$382 --50mm Tubular
$435 --38mm Clincher
$367 --38mm Tubular
$415 --20mm Clincher
$347 --20mm Tubular

I noticed that the tubulars are obviously cheaper, but I have never rode a set... is it worth the extra money for the clincher wheelsets?

·
Rodie Persona
469 Posts
@jwcurry83: Could you post pictures of some of the wheels mentioned in your post?

1 - 20 of 1274 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.