Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this might sound like a bit of a beginners question but, I am really wondering if I need a chainstay protector for my carbon fiber bike. I never used one on my previous Merckx Team SC bike; however, now that I have carbon fiber chainstays, I cringe everytime I hear the chain whack the chainstay while descending at high speeds over bumps. I think my chain is also a little long and needs a link or two taken out and this is only compounding the problem. Although I doubt the structural integrity of the stay would be easily compromised by this, I am more concerned about possible cosmetic damage to my Colnago C50. I have not noticed any chipping or blemishes to the chainstays so far.

Anyway, I don't see many rode bikes out there with chainstay protectors. Has anybody experienced damage to their paint or carbon chainstays? Anyone with a C50?

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will definitely put a protector of some sort on there soon. The C50 HP stays have a unique shape though that makes it difficult to find a suitable protector. I remember WTB made a really nuce rubberish one that I used on my mountain bikes a long time ago.....I wonder if I can find it still.

Anyway, thanks again.

· Registered
2,601 Posts
I use 3M Scotchgard clear protective film of 12mil (0.3mm) thickness. Buy a roll or piece of suitable width and cut your own. Try making one with a piece of paper first in order to get the correct shape and use it as a template for cutting the film afterward.

BTW, it's best to apply with help of a focused heat gun (set to 120F or 50C). A hair dryer will probably do as well. Just make sure you don't make things too hot. The heat will improve adhesion and help the film form better.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/For/the_Pro/Product_Info/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.