Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in a carbon fiber handlebar for comfort. It seems to me some of the flat topped designs I've seen would be real comfortable. What kind have you tried and what are your experiences?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the EC90 and Like it alot. I have noted the flat bars on the bikes of others, but do not think they would be very comfortable in the long run...it seems you are limited in your hand position....

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've tried the easton EC90 and the Kestrel EMS pro, haven't tried a flat type yet. I prefer the Kestrel of the two I've tried. No realy comfort benefit though (depends on size and shape of the bar) my hands and shoulders didn't like the bends on the easton bar.

bsdc said:
I'm interested in a carbon fiber handlebar for comfort. It seems to me some of the flat topped designs I've seen would be real comfortable. What kind have you tried and what are your experiences?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Could you describe the difference in shape between the two? I like the EC90, but I am considering the EMS.

Thanks,
Andrew

torquecal said:
I've tried the easton EC90 and the Kestrel EMS pro, haven't tried a flat type yet. I prefer the Kestrel of the two I've tried. No realy comfort benefit though (depends on size and shape of the bar) my hands and shoulders didn't like the bends on the easton bar.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have ITM millenium super overs. The bend is awesome. They make it in a 26.8 clamp in carbon. i love the deda and itm bend. going to try the "lance" bars next. Last summer i rode some super zoot 3T carbon flat top bars that came on a buddy's bike. Nice, but carbon bars and more than a year of use don't go together safely. Climbing was good, but anything else they were nothing special. Find a pair of alu bars that suit you. If you have to try flat top, go alu, FSA or something.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
comfort? what comfort?

trijunior said:
I have ITM millenium super overs. The bend is awesome. They make it in a 26.8 clamp in carbon. i love the deda and itm bend. going to try the "lance" bars next. Last summer i rode some super zoot 3T carbon flat top bars that came on a buddy's bike. Nice, but carbon bars and more than a year of use don't go together safely. Climbing was good, but anything else they were nothing special. Find a pair of alu bars that suit you. If you have to try flat top, go alu, FSA or something.
Never rode carbon bars, so speaking out of my a$$ here, but I don't hear of any dramatic improvements in comfort. Durability is still questionable, and if you want more comfort with your al. bars, put on two layers of bar tape or wear thicker gel gloves.

Andrew, come to your senses, man. You and I are long overdue for a nice crash.

Woof the dog.

·
Censored by *********
1,397 Posts
Cinelli had some nice bars

Aluminum covered in CF, but they stopped making them. I really wanted them because I thought that, as far as safety was concerned, the two materials should fail under totally different conditions and would, therefore, be extra safe.

I've got a friend with Easton CF bars on his aluminum frame. He claims they're real comfy.

Paul

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have a set of Modolo Carbon bars, great looking Italian bar but pretty expensive. I don't think carbon is worth the extra money get a good set of aluminum bars ones that come to mind is another high end Italian compnay Stella Azzurra. They make very nice carbon but their aluminum bars with the flat tops are very nice and light.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Provided you get a good one, carbon bars have a much better stiffness to weight ratio than aluminum bars. I have carbon bars both on my road bike and mountain bike. There's no problem with durability. If anything they should last longer. Comparable aluminum bars of around 220g or 130g for MTB usually feel like noodles.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
purplepaul said:
Aluminum covered in CF, but they stopped making them. I really wanted them because I thought that, as far as safety was concerned, the two materials should fail under totally different conditions and would, therefore, be extra safe.

I've got a friend with Easton CF bars on his aluminum frame. He claims they're real comfy.

Paul
Paul, check out Specialized website. They have a new set of aluminum road bars that have a carbon wrapped center just like the Cinelli Solida..... They sell for $79.99

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
ITM also has a seat post handle bar set of called "Alu Carbon" with a matching stem named Forged Lite Carbon 4V. The seat post and handle bar are actually woven with aluminum and carbon strands, instead of merely being wrapped.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Modolo Carbissimo

I have the Modolo Carbissimo. I describe them as "stiff butter" -- they seem super, super stiff, but definitely knock some of the road vibration down compared to aluminum bars. They have a nice ergonomic feel and grooves for tucking away the cables. I picked this particular set in part because the drop distance (from top of bars to bottom of drops) was one of the lowest, which for me was an advantage because I prefer to have my bars set a bit low and thus it is a bit difficult getting into the drops with standard bar shapes. They were not cheap, but considering the bars and the saddle pretty much define your feel for the bike, a very worthwhile investment in my opinion.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Stella Azzurra Tirreno

If money is not as much the issue as comfort, the Stella Azzurra Tirenno bar cannot be beat! At about 250g it is so ergonomic and stiff feeling that it is wonderful to ride on it. Check out their webpage.
http://www.stellaazzurra.com
Colorado cyclist sells them fro $399. I have a 3T more carbon on one bike and the Tirreno on my other. The Stella is so strong and stiff that you will never notice any flex, yet at the same time the carbon absorbs shock so nicely that you can go over harsh roads for hours. Nice cable routing under the bar and no tape wrapping the top. Nice ergonomic cuts for the fingers when you have the hand on the top bar. I would say it's expensive but it is a serious upgrade from any bar. Wattch out however with your fit. The bar has a sloping design. If you simply replace a straight road bar like my 3T carbon, I found that I needed to move the stella up about 10mm (i.e. you need room for extra spacers, and I needed a stem thats 10 mm longer to more it out further because of the way it drops on the sides and slopes around.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The EC90 has a different kind of bend between the tops of the bars and the hoods, it's kind of angular. Almost like there's a 45 degree angle, followed by and inch or two of straight bar, followed by another 45 degree angle. Past that are the hoods and then a fairly normal drop.

The EMS is more traditional with more of a curve, or arc, between the top of the bars and the hoods. It also has a fractionally bigger drop.

werdna said:
Could you describe the difference in shape between the two? I like the EC90, but I am considering the EMS.

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ems Pro

bsdc said:
I have Kestral EMS Pro's on both of my road bikes and I would highly rec'd them. They are very comfortable and stiff. Also, that they are the only carbon bar that allows for clip on areo bars, if that is any consideration. I also prefer the classic bend of the bar and the fact that the bars have grooves for cable routeing.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I have the EC90. I really like the bend in it. Allows me several positions to play around with. I agree with Woof; I saw no appreciable difference in comfort and durability-wise, it's been on a year without any difficulties. I got one because, well, I was going full CF and that was the bar that was most reasonable in price and I know several people that have them and like them.

·
Censored by *********
1,397 Posts
Thank you, Dave. It'll be a while before I change anything since my ride is less than a year old. By the time I'm ready to upgrade, I'll bet there will be a whole slew of amazingly cool bars.

Paul

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I've got the EC90's on two bikes. I really like them. They're not any more comfortable than an aluminium bar, but noticibly stiffer than the TTT 199's I was using (perhaps that's a flaxy bar -- always seemed OK to me).

The shape is different than a traditional bar -- I really like it. Others may not. The section where the bar bends at the ends is flat rather than curved. They're very comfortable.

Despite what some people think, I'd bet they are much tougher and less prone to failure than aluminium bars. the extra price is probably worth it.

Maybe the Italian ones are nice, but $399 for a set of handlebars ..... come on.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
And now a response from someone who has ridden the "flat topped" carbon bar. I ride the Cinelli RAM and it is awesome. The flat section is super for hand comfort on long rides. Instead of an 1/8" pressure point a round bar puts on, you get a nice big wide flat section with an anatomical bump in it top relieve pressure. The RAM is a wonderful bar for someone who is looking to put long days in the saddle. I will admit it is a tad of a pain to route the cables internally, and you have to get creative to install a computer on their computer mount, but well worth the effort.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Absolutely the best is FSA K-wing

bsdc said:
The FSA K-wing are awesome.....Flat and WIDE top near the stem awesome feel with no hand fatigue and flat tops near the hoods way more comfortable than round. Built like the Cennili's but half the money and no stem of course. AAAAA+++++ rating from a big clydesdale.
G-dub :cool:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts