Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting a Cannodale Synapse 5 but I am unsure weather it is worth the extra money for the Carbon version of this bike. Any input on this is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Try them both and pick which one you like..

Frame material is an extremely small factor in ride quality..........

There are carbon frames out there that will rattle your teeth.....there are aluminum frames that are all day bikes......

ride them both and pick the one you like...

Don't buy into the road dampening hype of carbon.....It's all about design......

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree with test riding them. You'll be amazed how different aluminum and carbon bikes ride depending upon design. Carbon does have inherent qualities of stiffness vs vertical compliance etc etc weight etc etc, but the specific model makes a huge difference. Go ride them both on extended 10+ mile rides with your clipless pedal of choice. Do this as many times as it takes you to decide.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Ride comparison

cdecker78 said:
I am wanting a Cannodale Synapse 5 but I am unsure weather it is worth the extra money for the Carbon version of this bike. Any input on this is appreciated.
Agree with the suggestion to test ride. However, make sure that you do the test rides with the same wheels. Wheels/tires can have a major effect on ride quality, and lots of people get fooled into thinking "it's the bike" when in fact "it's the wheels."

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I rode a 2008 Specialized Roubiax Elite Compact today and loved the feel of a full carbon bike and then I went and rode the Carbon Synapse 5. I have to say the full carbon synapse took all the road buzz away compared to the alum. I love the fit of both the Roubiax and the Synapse 5. But I cant make up my mind. I guess I'll let the best price decide at this point. Unless anyone has any more input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.