Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
cog-it-goes ergo sum
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting my dream custom frame. Currently riding a Spec. Roubaix comp from '05 which I really like. A lot of my riding is in Vermont/New Hampshire and my routes typically take me on stretches of dirt roads, often on extended downhills on those roads. I've noticed that, particularly after roads have been graded, my front tire often kicks up gravel-sized rocks into the bottom of my downtube and on the chainstays. Because of this, I have a few areas where the clearcoat has chipped, in both areas.

Now I don't know if this is bad for the frame, but I have to believe it ain't good. For this reason, I'm considering ti for my next frame. My question is this: If your favorite routes took you on extended dirt roads and you were considering the make of your dream frame, would you avoid carbon fiber? I ask 'cause I'd really love a Parlee... but won't mind "settling" for a Moots.

Thanks

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Outside of the Z4, Parlees run $6000 for frame and fork. Moots are around $2500 for frame. Does that make the decision easier?

I built a travel bike with couplers for riding in China, land of the crappiest roads. I chose the Moots Psychlo, because it should more or less be damage resistant.

But, there are plenty of CX bikes made out of CF, so it might be reasonable to assume if a CX bike can stand up, the little bit of challenge you're going to give it is no big deal. It wouldn't scare me, I've ridden my Parlee down the dirt ditch roads here many times.

In the simplest terms though, ti is going to be less likely to be damaged, just the same as steel or even aluminum. It all depends on you and how much damage you're willing to tolerate and how much financial risk you're willing to assume.

·
Registered
818 Posts
My Seven Axiom (ti) fits me like a glove and will last me 10 years. Tho $$ wasn't an object, the frame and fork were a bargain at ~$3800. The thing that impressed me the most about Seven is their fit/customization process. The bike not only fits me perfectly, it behaves exactly as i had intended it to.

·
A wheelist
11,689 Posts
Daverino said:
after roads have been graded, my front tire often kicks up gravel-sized rocks into the bottom of my downtube and on the chainstays.
Would you rather those rocks bounce off carbon or titanium? My Seven mtb has done a few thousand miles of gravel roads (over 9 years) and of course doesn't have one chip on it.

That being said, my dirt road bike frame that's being built will be steel as I just didn't want to spend Ti money. It will have clear protector sheet on all the really vulnerable areas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.