Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is there any way that you can cut carbon fiber that is safe and will not compromise the structural integrity of the piece of equipment. I have an old set of carbon fiber handle bars that i would like to take about an inch off each end, and i did not know if that was possible. Can you tape them and cut the with a pipe cutter? Any knowldege on the subject would be appreciated.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Taping yes, pipecutter no.

You can cut the ends off your bars with a very fine-toothed hacksaw and taping the ends is a good idea if you do so. A pipecutter will only crush the CF and leave a very messy edge, basically destroying your piece.

·
Registered
64 Posts
what is the ideal kind of tape to use when taping? are there any other tricks that you all hav learned that would be of help?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
any tape will do...

Masking tape, electrical tape, just about anything on hand will do. All is does is help prevent damage to the outer fibers.

Alternately, you can cut around the bars, instead of cutting from top to bottom. A shallow cut, working your way around the tube eliminates the need for tape, but the tape does provide a straight line to follow.

As others noted, never use a pipe cutter, it crushes the fibers and casues a lot of damage (I tried it on a piece of scrap once, just to see how ugly it was).

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You can use a pipe cutter for just a few revolutions to mark your line instead of using tape.

One other note - if you cut straight thru w/ a hacksaw blade, stop after you've cut halfway, rotate the bar 180 degrees, and start from the uncut half, or else you may splinter fibers away from the bar as you finish the cut.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts