Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to know if anyone clamped a saddle bag to there carbon seat rails with no issues...

Not using Velcro straps but an actual clamp style/type. I'm a little worried its going to put unwanted stress on the back end of the rails and eventually have a negative effect/crack.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tlg - your right...

but not knowing how the rails are made up, my thinking was the areas clamped by the seat post are made stronger (most supportive) than the outer unclamped portion of the rails and the extra vibration in those areas my cause a problem.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ParadigmDawg

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Curious to know if anyone clamped a saddle bag to there carbon seat rails with no issues...

Not using Velcro straps but an actual clamp style/type. I'm a little worried its going to put unwanted stress on the back end of the rails and eventually have a negative effect/crack.
The only thing you have to worry about is if your clamps have sharp edges and they are moving constantly relative to the rails. They'll saw through the rail. Otherwise, no different than a seat post clamp except a heck of a lot less force.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Aren't carbon railed saddles completely solid? I.e not hollow like Ti rails. They would be hard to crack through.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only thing you have to worry about is if your clamps have sharp edges and they are moving constantly relative to the rails. They'll saw through the rail. Otherwise, no different than a seat post clamp except a heck of a lot less force.

Kerry Irons... thanks that's for your insight, I'll go back and file the edges off and round them out... good info :thumbsup:

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And/or put some tape or similar on the rails.
Jay, I was just thinking of that as well in addition to filing the edges smooth... I think the combination of the two I should have no issues.

Thanks for all the info RBR, I have a some real work to do later this afternoon after I leave this little office cubical thing I sit in 4 to 5 days a week called work

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
And/or put some tape or similar on the rails.
Tape ain't gonna do sh!t. :nono: Torque down the connection and the tape either gets crushed or torn and gets in the way of a nice, solid connection. I use tape for everything. It doesn't work as a "gasket," too porous, too soft, especially loaded up with a 160 pound rider.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The clamps will break before the rails. Just keep the rails out of the sun or use sunscreen.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Tape ain't gonna do sh!t. :nono: Torque down the connection and the tape either gets crushed or torn and gets in the way of a nice, solid connection. I use tape for everything. It doesn't work as a "gasket," too porous, too soft, especially loaded up with a 160 pound rider.
I agree. If there is a sharp edge on the clamp and/or the clamp moves on the rail, it will cut through the tape in no time.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update...

The clamp wouldn't fit on around the rails on the saddle... the spread was to wide from the seat post mounting area to where the rails actually joined/molded into the bottom of the saddle.

So I modified the saddle bags mounting bracket by widening the notches to fit (mount) in place of the aluminum mounting bracket that came with the seat post, and yes I sanded all the edges smooth while in the process.

Bicycle part Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Product Bicycle frame Bicycle accessory

Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part Bicycle tire Product

Product Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
First of all congratulations on only using one emoji not your usual peppering of them.

I've done exactly what's being discussed and all I can say is you are wrong.

And what to heck does rider weight have to do with attaching a saddle bag? Hint, the answer is; Nothing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts