Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

carbon fork for older bike

658 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Slow Eddie 
#1 ·
I have a Serotta Atlanta and want to upgrade to a carbon fork. looking to see if anyone has any suggestions. thanks.

#3 ·
I changed over to some carbon forks on my old Colango after having a wreck that bent the forks. The first thing I discovered was that I no longer had the tire clearance that I did with the steel forks and now I have to use a 23mm on the front. Just something to consider.

#5 ·
Nashbar's carbon fork comes either threaded or threadless,1" or 1 1/8". I bought one to convert my old Specialized 1" threaded to a threadless stem. I have no complaints with this fork. Excelect quality, no noticable flex and I got it on sale for about $65. It is meant for 700c wheels, not 27".

#6 ·
sacstateroad said:
I have a Serotta Atlanta and want to upgrade to a carbon fork. looking to see if anyone has any suggestions. thanks.
I've got a 90's Time Elite Pro (I think that's the model name) that will go on eBay next week. 1" threaded and sized for a 53cm frame (it has 140mm of steerer showing). Of course, it can be cut to fit a smaller frame. Great condition. Sixty bucks shipped. PM me if interested.

~Fred

#7 ·
sacstateroad said:
The previous posts all had good suggestions, but I wonder if the word "upgrade" really applies here. Sure, there will be some weight savings and some attenuation of "road buzz" (whatever that is), but this is a Serotta Atlanta, for crying out loud—steel at it's finest. If you go plastic, keep the old fork around. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.