Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty damn mechanical do my own engine work on my car, etc. but I'm tempted to have a shop install my new carbon fork/carbon steerer so that I don't mess it up:blush2:

its an AlphaQ with the aluminum insert and start nut is this pretty simple task ?

install would be on a caad9 frame as far as I understand I have to cut and install the insert/star nut with the epoxy and let it set, then reinstall the fork and headset?

what would it cost for me to drop the bike off at a shop and have them do it?

Chad

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yes, it's pretty simple, but you can only cut once, so you don't want to bugger it up. You need an appropriate pipe to set the headset crown race on the fork, I would borrow one or pay the shop ($5?) to do that. If you're replacing an existing fork and you're 100% sure of the steerer tube length, you can go ahead and cut it, otherwise, assemble everything (stem, spacers) first, make sure your fit is good, then mark the steerer. Wrap tape around the top of the steerer and cut with a fresh hacksaw blade. Try to borrow a slotted guide tool, but this isn't absolutely necessary, if you're careful. The epoxy is pretty straightforward, just make sure the surfaces are clean. Maybe scuff the inside of the steerer with some fine sandpaper, first.

I can't tell you what a shop would charge, since I never use one.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
A great cutting guide is two hose clamps. Once you know where you want to make the cut put a hose clamp on either side of the mark separated by the width of the blade. Also, make sure your blade is a fine tooth metal cutting blade. 32tpi should do.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,345 Posts
For peace of mind, I've always had my LBS cut my steerers and install the HS.

$20 or so. Worth every penney, as a screwup in a fork install can end in a b0rked fork AND frame.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Agree.
Had my shop install my CK, and the race on my fork. I did the rest.

I hate star nuts. I used an expander. I would never use a star nut on a carbon stearer.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
Agree.
Had my shop install my CK, and the race on my fork. I did the rest.

I hate star nuts. I used an expander. I would never use a star nut on a carbon stearer.
its the way the alphaQ fork is designed specifically says NOT using a starnut will void the warranty.

Thanks guys for the advice I'm probably going to have a shop do it just for peace of mind.

Chad

·
Registered
750 Posts
Nimitz said:
its the way the alphaQ fork is designed specifically says NOT using a starnut will void the warranty.
I am running an expander in my AlphaQ with no issues. It's a much cleaner install than having to glue in the insert and use the star nut. I had the expander left over from an old Ouzo Pro that I'd pulled from another bike when it cracked. Glad I kept that expander around since it works perfect in the AlphaQ.

I paid $20 for the install on mine including install of the headset, cutting the fork, etc. I had them install the headset and then I built the rest of the bike up, and then took it back to have the steerer cut once i had the stem/bars where I wanted them.

congrats on your new fork.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
I look upon it as how much damage can I do in relation to what the shop charges to do it.

I'll never forget -- years ago there was a moderator on this forum ... Doug somebody or other ... who was really handy and did all his own work. He bought a Colnago C-40 frame and fork and cut the fork himself. He forgot to take something into account (I forget what) and cut it too short. They retailed for $600 in those days.

Whatever happened to him? I recall him having kids about the same time my wife and I did and falling off the face of the earth like that tends to make you do.

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
pmf said:
I look upon it as how much damage can I do in relation to what the shop charges to do it.

I'll never forget -- years ago there was a moderator on this forum ... Doug somebody or other ... who was really handy and did all his own work. He bought a Colnago C-40 frame and fork and cut the fork himself. He forgot to take something into account (I forget what) and cut it too short. They retailed for $600 in those days.

Whatever happened to him? I recall him having kids about the same time my wife and I did and falling off the face of the earth like that tends to make you do.

Doug is still here.. He goes by the handle "fixed"....

When cutting a fork steerer, measure 4 or 5 times and cut once...

·
Registered
813 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
You don't actually drive the starnut into the steerer. The fork comes with a short aluminum tube with a starnut already in it (probably lighter than an expander), and you bond the tube into the steerer after cutting it. Works fine unless you want to shorten the steerer more in the future. This is the case with a frame/fork I bought recently, where the PO had used a huge stack of spacers. I now have to either try to break the bond and yank the tube back out, or have it machined out. At least this is a Z Pro fork, which has a very thick-walled carbon steerer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.