Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
COMER
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey maybe someone here can help me. I just purchased a new C30 R Design Volvo. The only roof racks available are OEM. I had my LBS contact Thule, they claim to have a new rack coming out in the near future, but no solid timeline. Funny thing is that the OEM is made by Thule.

Now my question, the trays come with a warning not to use with carbon forks?! I have an S3 and frankly can you get a road bike anymore without a carbon fork? Is this just a CYA or is there a true danger in using said rack with the carbon road fork? After placing the fork in on the skewer you close the cover to tighten the skewer.

Any info would be appreciated.

Also, I have a White Brothers Hard Roc carbon fork on my Spot 29er SS, would that be affected too?

Thank you for your help in this matter.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Comer said:
Hey maybe someone here can help me. I just purchased a new C30 R Design Volvo. The only roof racks available are OEM. I had my LBS contact Thule, they claim to have a new rack coming out in the near future, but no solid timeline. Funny thing is that the OEM is made by Thule.

Now my question, the trays come with a warning not to use with carbon forks?! I have an S3 and frankly can you get a road bike anymore without a carbon fork? Is this just a CYA or is there a true danger in using said rack with the carbon road fork? After placing the fork in on the skewer you close the cover to tighten the skewer.

Any info would be appreciated.

Also, I have a White Brothers Hard Roc carbon fork on my Spot 29er SS, would that be affected too?

Thank you for your help in this matter.

This is a tray system? You don't need to take off the front wheel do you?

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Hmmm. Sounds like a CYA sticker developed by an attorney that visits this site and buys into the "exploding carbon" garbage :) . I have a Thule rack for my roof and a tray hitch that utilize fork mounts. I am not worried.

To be safe I would avoid doing serious slalom courses or auto-cross with your bike on your roof. :)

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Blue CheeseHead said:
To be safe I would avoid doing serious slalom courses or auto-cross with your bike on your roof. :)
Is it still OK to do Paris-Dakar with the bike still up there? Seems kinda silly to make a roof rack that leaves off a large percentage of people that would be buying the rack. I think it is a CYA sticker.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Comer said:
Yes, you can get it either way, I chose the fork mounted tray.
Is it possible that they mean carbon dropouts, not the fork itself? Most carbon forks have aluminum dropout. My bike has carbon drops, so I am careful not to clamp too hard.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,565 Posts
if that rack has a fork mount w/o a regular skewer to hold the fork, i understand. if you close the top cover down to secure the bike, what happens is you can get uneven closure force on each dropout. we've seen it a couple of times on forks w/ carbon dropouts, i think the last one was easton. if they're not exactly the same thickness, one side is tighter than the other. obviously, the loose side can come out, ruining your day as well as your fork. i'd stick w/ fork mounts that use an actual skewer that goes all the way thru the rack and clamps both sides of the fork w/ even pressure.

·
COMER
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They don't make on for my car. Is there any precaution that I can take to make sure the pressure is applied evenly?

·
COMER
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One other thing, the Thule 517 tray and QR has parts that are interchangeable with my system, they look identical. I hope this additional information helps.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Seems to me a better source to answer would be the fork Manufacturer.

I guess if my CF fork fails in my fork mount rack I have a problem if not I ride my bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts