Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a straight blade carbon fork that will fit my Cannondale Capo. And what kind of issues can I run into by changing forks? Will the straight blade move the wheel closer to the downtube? That's what I'm hoping for but I don't know if there are clearance issues.

Thanks!

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
A straight blade(with the same rake as a curved fork) will not move the wheel closer to the downtube. Other than looks, what do you hope to accomplish by moving the wheel closer to the downtube?

a track fork w/ less rake might help (like 38mm vs. 45mm), but the dif would be very small... bar spins?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it looks like I'm going to be accepting a job in Bethlehem, PA which is right next to a Velodrome. So I was thinking about building this bike into a track bike and taking what components I could (the cranks, bb, stem, etc) and, with the rest, get myself a steel frame for commuting etc.

If so, I was thinking I should go with a full carbon fork and try to tighten up the geometry for the banked oval. I realize I won't be able to use this fork with a steel frame but it was just a thought.

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
28mm rake will tighten your geometry...Since this fork isn't drilled for a brake, you are effectively making your C'dale a single use(track only) bike....

If it were me, I wouldn't change anything on your Capo. When you want to ride the velodrome, take off the brakes and go at it.........When you are finished, put the brakes back on and ride fixed on the street

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I agree with Dave. A 28 fork will really change the geometry and the handling. I'd leave it alone. FWIW I reinstalled the Time built fork that came with my frame and it works better.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Also keep in mind that a shorter rake will slow the steering down and make the bike a bit less responsive. When riding kilos and pursuits, a slightly more relaxed steering is not a problem. But when riding keirin or points races, 'relaxed' may not be what you want.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it the way it is. If i love track riding that much then I'll just have to invest in another track frame and go from there. At that point it will be worth it.

I get ahead of myself a lot only because I don't usually pick up a hobby without trying to get as good as I can at it.

And I want to give a shout out to Kashimax Five Gold saddles and Toshi doubles. The best investment I have made so far. Worth every penny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.