Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always looked forward to carbon fiber being the new trend in bicycle frame materials. After I heard that CF had an infinite service life, had no genuine fatigue issues, and was stronger than steel, I was immediately sold. I looked forward to Kestrel producing the ultimate bicycle with the most awesome and super frame material. However, I later began to hear rumors about failed carbon frames and forks.

It appeared as though time had taken care of any of carbon's frailties, as I stopped hearing anything about any of carbon fiber's failures until recently, when I read about Specialized and its failed CF forks on its Tarmac, Crux, and Secteur models.

However, as I perused the INTERNET today, I ran into an article written by some author (blogger), who goes by the name of "the isolate cyclist". After reading his article and the subsequent responses from cyclists, I am now completely stunned, perplexed, and miffed about carbon fiber as a bicycle material.

I am now having second thoughts about making my fourth bicycle, the Defy Advance 1, after reading this article by the Isolate Cyclist:

Carbon Bicycle Forks: Cautions, Facts and Misconceptions | IsolateCyclist

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,673 Posts
you have got to be kidding. pretty much every bike from $1700 and up is full carbon. this has been the case for years. there are literally millions of carbon bikes being ridden every day. with that many being used, there are bound to be some issues. this is the case w/ any product, not just bikes. as the other 2 posted stated it has nothing to do w/ carbon as a frame material, but all about production and tool issues.
and yes, it's SPECIALIZED.

·
Registered
23,049 Posts
That blog was written in 2011.
Every pro rider in the last two Tour de France races rode carbon fiber.
I was watching the 2013 Tour of the Basque Country last night. They're all riding carbon fiber.
I do believe all the pros riding Paris– Roubaix (on cobblestone) are riding carbon.

These guys are riding average speeds of 25mph for thousands of miles up and down mountains and over cobblestone. I don't think they're too worried about carbon fiber. Neither am I.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zeet,

You are trying too hard.
Carbon is fine and Specialized (Not Spech or Spechy) builds a fine product.
Nothing to see here.
you have got to be kidding. pretty much every bike from $1700 and up is full carbon. this has been the case for years. there are literally millions of carbon bikes being ridden every day. with that many being used, there are bound to be some issues. this is the case w/ any product, not just bikes. as the other 2 posted stated it has nothing to do w/ carbon as a frame material, but all about production and tool issues.
and yes, it's SPECIALIZED.
You're absolutely correct, CX! I am well aware of the popularity and ubiquity of CF. That's one certain thing that cannot be denied!

However, should we completely ignore the testimonial responses of some of the Isolate Cyclist's readers?

That blog was written in 2011.
Every pro rider in the last two Tour de France races rode carbon fiber.
I was watching the 2013 Tour of the Basque Country last night. They're all riding carbon fiber. I do believe all the pros riding Paris– Roubaix (on cobblestone) are riding carbon.

These guys are riding average speeds of 25mph for thousands of miles up and down mountains and over cobblestone. I don't think they're too worried about carbon fiber. Neither am I.

Yes TLG!

I know practically all the pro racers these days race CF. That's another thing that most likely helped to convince me about the strength of carbon.

However, did you read the testimonial responses of previous CF frame owners?

I just hate learning about negative things associated with CF! I hate it, because I really do love CF so much...

I'll most probably still get my Defy. However, as of right now, I don't feel too comfortable about it.

·
Registered
23,049 Posts
However, should we completely ignore the testimonial responses of some of the Isolate Cyclist's readers?
In a single word...Yes!

I know practically all the pro racers these days race CF.
Do you think they're really concerned? Do you think they're risking life and limb on a daily basis... just knowing their CF is going to spontaneously explode?

However, did you read the testimonial responses of previous CF frame owners?
43 responses to a blog is hardly evidence of anything. There's FAR more complaints, testimonies, and anecdotes of CF right here on RBR.
When Boeing stops making planes out of CF I'll become concerned.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yes. Ignore anything that meets all three of these criteria:
  • On the internet
  • Anecdotal
  • Re: Carbon fiber

I'll most probably still get my Defy. However, as of right now, I don't feel too comfortable about it.
That doesn't make any sense. If you aren't comfortable on it, it is the wrong bike for you. Buy a Gunnar Sport, an Aluminum Defy, or any other bike that strikes your fancy. There is nothing magical (or delicate for that matter) about CF.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes. Ignore anything that meets all three of these criteria:
  • On the internet
  • Anecdotal
  • Re: Carbon fiber
Yeah,

but there's a lotta great info on the internet, some good and some bad! :D

That doesn't make any sense. If you aren't comfortable on it, it is the wrong bike for you. Buy a Gunnar Sport, an Aluminum Defy, or any other bike that strikes your fancy. There is nothing magical (or delicate for that matter) about CF.

Yeah, but for the past three months, I've been living and breathing for CF. I've been visting all kinds of bike shops, pestering REI mechanics, and test riding all kinds of CF bikes. I've been just loving every second of it all. I was going to pull the trigger on a Trek Madone last month, when a friend of mine advised me to checkout the Defy Advance.

I instantly fell in love with the Defy, almost immediately after I mounted her. Then when I saw how easily accelerated she was, I was sold! I was seriously thinking about putting a ring on it!

However now, I think I have a case of cold feet...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Out of the thousands and thousands of CF bikes sold around the world each year how many do you read about with CF fork failure? Even if every person who had a CF issue posted about it on the internet that would still represent about 1% of 1% of 1% of 1% of all the CF riding cyclists out there. You're worrying about nothing. Consider this: you could die in plane crash, because let's face it - planes do crash. But the odds against that happening are HUGE. Especially if you don't fly. ;-)

Go buy the bike you want regardless of the frame material. Enjoy it. If all you're going to do is worry about the fork breaking while you ride then you will never enjoy the bike. Relax, don't worry, ride your bike. Words to live by.

Cheers!
K

·
Registered
23,049 Posts
Out of the thousands and thousands of CF bikes sold around the world each year how many do you read about with CF fork failure? Even if every person who had a CF issue posted about it on the internet that would still represent about 1% of 1% of 1% of 1% of all the CF riding cyclists out there.
Thousands? How about millions.

There's 10-13 million bikes sold just in the U.S. every year. 20-24% of those are road/700c. So at least 2 million road bikes a year. At least 50% of them are CF or alum with CF forks.
Industry Overview 2011 - National Bicycle Dealers Association

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.