Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
K.ind of a newbie when it comes to bike components as I have no clue. Currently I'm riding a 2006 Lemond Victoirre which still has the standard stock parts on it. This bike came equipped if I'm not wrong with the Bontrager race lite components in the handle bars wheels and stem post and not sure what forks were on it.

I have what I think is a 2003 Lemond all ti Lemond Victoirre and I would to get it built up to to a double geared bike as my other Lemond is a triple.

I did a quick look on carbon forks and see prices ranging from $250 - $400. How much difference will I see from a $250 fork and a $400 fork. I do some ultra riding like rando 600k's and 1200k's and some other long riding. I figure that anything out there is probably better than what I have on my current Lemond. Weight isn't an issue as I would prefer ride comfort over weight savings.

My LBS recommended me look at 3T enve and Ritchey and talked about Comp 250 and WCS FROM Ritchey but not sure I want to spring $400 for a set of forks unless they are that much better than anything else out there.

He also has a full ultegra group set out there 11 speed with everything but the forks,handlebars,handlebar stem and set post for $750 he tore this off a new bike as the customer wanted the Ultegra electronic shifting. It has a 11/28 casette and wht he called I think a mid-compact crank 36x52. He said full retail on this is around $1300.

Is $750 for this full component set a good price?

Thanks for any help
Zman

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
You have 2 questions I think.

Fork - well, a different fork can make a big difference. The design of it can change the way your bike handles. At your claimed experience level, this might be a gamble. I will only go with carbon forks now as they take a lot of road buzz out. My Ti bike has one.
But, forks are a hard answer.

Component group. That prices sounds decent. You may be able to get better pricing on-line, but when you get the same box of parts, do you know what to do with them? Buying from LBS at a good price might set you on a good relationship and they will help you.
I ride a 53x39 and a 52x36. The 52x36 with the 11-28 is nice in the steep stuff when I need it. I love my 53-21 and 53-19; I can get similar ratios with the 52.

I don't know for sure about that Lemond Ti, but if the BB is off, or something else isn't compatible with the modern 11spd, then the shop may swap out what you need.

The is it worth it question is up to you. If you feel more motivated to ride, then yes. You like your bike better, then likely yes. You may not feel a huge difference over what you have. Shifts are crisper, but how often do you shift? JRA improvement - get 25mm tires.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Very nice bike by the way.

Not so sure I would personally trust a $99 generic no name CF fork but to each their own. I would either look into WoundUp Road X if you want the strongest most bombproof fork available, or Enve 2.0 if you want a combination of strength and lightweightness. The Enve 2.0 is lighter and the cheaper of the two, and it's the one that I have on my Lynskey. Both are straight bladed which will give a razor type feel to the handling vs curved ones but supposedly curved ones will be a tad more comfortable howbeit not so positive feeling in the handling department, though there is some argument on that. I rode a generic curved CF fork on a Motobecane TI bike and it felt wimpy or flimsy if you will, you get what you pay for. But on the flip side I also rode a $7,000 to 8,000 Serotta ti bike with a curved Serotta CF fork and it too was not as positive feeling as my Enve, so price may not mean everything, but a cheap $99 fork will definitely be not as positive feeling not to mention the possibility of it breaking before the other two I mentioned would.

Don't buy a fork because it's the lightest, the lightest is suitable for racing but not everyday riding, but also don't buy the cheapest. You have a very nice and expensive bike, you should outfit it with a fork suitable for the quality of that bike. Make sure you talk to an LBS first to get the right fork rake for your particular bike or you could change the handling of the bike which may not be what you want.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
The Nashbar is a nice solid fork that appears well made.

It is a basic, but very common fault of thinking to believe that if something is branded and expensive, it must be better. Regardless that although it gives the impression of being a "US brand" it is made by cheap labor (and we are talking cheaper than the much reviled Chinese), in Viet Nam.

Obviously a $30 wine is better than a $15 one right? Well it's $15 more. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
Sure, that's why you ride a $350 Walmart bike because they're the same as a $3,500 bike. LOL!
Oh come on, you know that is a bs comparison. Besides Walmart most expensive bike is probably $150. Now if you want to talk about the difference between a $1500 and $3500 bike. No, not a lot of upgrade for the money. If you can't win a race on the $1500 bike you're not going to on the $3500 one either. You wouldn't even finish the race on the Wally bike.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
"How much difference will I see from a $250 fork and a $400 fork."

Generally speaking, once you get to a certain level of quality, which $250 is definitely at or above, you pay for weight reduction as you go up in price.

Take Enve's 1.0 and 2.0 as an example. The 1 is lighter and more expensive but the reports I've heard from people who have used both have all said they can't tell a difference in ride.

Nothing wrong with steel forks for the type of riding you describe by the way so that might be worth looking into also.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Closed minds are closed.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I've previously used the Nashbar CX fork. Far from the lightest thing on the market, but I've ridden it over some crappy rocky roads and it's held up no problem. I've also crashed the bike a couple times and it's held up fine. For that price I would recommend it.

If you are wiling to spend a few more $$ check out the full carbon fork they offer. It's likely stronger due to being built as one piece and not having an alloy steerer tube (the joint takes a lot of force). One thing to keep in mind when changing out forks is whether the rake/trail is the same. If it's wildly different the bike may handle differently.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Oh come on, you know that is a bs comparison. Besides Walmart most expensive bike is probably $150. Now if you want to talk about the difference between a $1500 and $3500 bike. No, not a lot of upgrade for the money. If you can't win a race on the $1500 bike you're not going to on the $3500 one either. You wouldn't even finish the race on the Wally bike.
A $150 bike? no, they have this for $629: 700c Schwinn Varsity 1500 Men's Road Bike - Walmart.com And no I don't think that's a BS comparision, you have a $99 fork vs a $396 fork, or a $629 bike vs a $2,516 dollar bike, using the fork example of 4 times the value and doing the same with the bike. This is what you essentially said, that a fork that is 4 times the cost of a $99 fork is not any better, just as a $15 wine is not any better than a $30 wine, but a wine comparison isn't fair either because it's not a mechanical thing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so lets go into another direction. I presently have the Lemond 2OO6 Victoire. I have no idea what the fork rake is on it. It has the 10 speed components on it which it came stock. The ultegra components might have been changed out at least once. This bike is the carbon/ti glued together. It is also set up as a triple. It's a 57 cm frame. The only frame Lemond 2003 now I have is all ti. I want to set it up as a double and try and get the bikes alike as much as possible. Most of all the stuff on the 2006 Lemond I have now is Bontrager race lite. I believe my ultimate goal is to set both bikes up as close as possible so that if I take both to a ride/race and one fails I can just jump on the other.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Ok so lets go into another direction. I presently have the Lemond 2OO6 Victoire. I have no idea what the fork rake is on it. It has the 10 speed components on it which it came stock. The ultegra components might have been changed out at least once. This bike is the carbon/ti glued together. It is also set up as a triple. It's a 57 cm frame. The only frame Lemond 2003 now I have is all ti. I want to set it up as a double and try and get the bikes alike as much as possible. Most of all the stuff on the 2006 Lemond I have now is Bontrager race lite. I believe my ultimate goal is to set both bikes up as close as possible so that if I take both to a ride/race and one fails I can just jump on the other.
Then set up the same pedal system on both and get the same fit on both. What does this have to do with either the fork or it being a double/triple?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Then set up the same pedal system on both and get the same fit on both. What does this have to do with either the fork or it being a double/triple?

Because the bike I'm building up is a bare frame and I don't know anything about forks to try and get a fork and the rake as someone said to match the Lemond I already have. The double triple being different I'm not worried about.

·
BikerFox Wannabe
696 Posts
You can get all the info you need regarding original fork rake, components, etc, at vintage-trek dot com. (Click on the link a little ways down the page for Trek, Fisher, LeMond catalogs, then go to the Lemond catalog section.) Your frame came with either a 43 or 45mm offset fork. (EDIT, the LeMond technical manual and catalogs were inaccurate in listing offset on many of these Spine Bikes, the claimed fork offset does not match the wheelbase lengths, I believe the larger frames had 40mm offset forks which makes the wheelbase measurments given actually correct AND it puts the trail closer to classic "LeMond Geometry") I would recommend either a 40 or 43mm replacement. I have several Lemond "Spine Design" carbon/steel or carbon/ti frames in size 57cm and replaced the heavy stock forks with Reynolds Ouzo Pros. (Can be found on eBay for $125-175 in nice used shape.) If you aren't comfortable with going used then I'd recommend you avoid the Ritchey WCS, it is a bit noodly in my opinion and I'm only 145lbs. (Nice fork but not as solid as Ouzo Pro or 3T Funda Team/Pro/etc.)

(BTW, I was a shop rat for years back when these LeMond's were new models and sold/wrenched on many of them.)

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Because the bike I'm building up is a bare frame and I don't know anything about forks to try and get a fork and the rake as someone said to match the Lemond I already have. The double triple being different I'm not worried about.
Unless the geometry of your two frames are the same there is no guarantee that both bikes will handle the same. If you are looking for the same fit on both bikes the fork rake doesn't change your fit, it only changes handling.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
As others have mentioned, you need to research the specifications of your 2003 frame to find the rake spec for the original fork that came with your size frame. While it may coincidentally be the same for your other Victoire, I wouldn't count on it.

I just finished building a similar frame a few days ago. Fortunately for me, my frame came with its original Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork. These are beautifully built frames, you're lucky to find one as they don't come up for sale very often.

Here's a photo of mine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts